ethics

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimShady

Reaction score
Ahhhh, the age old question: if your family was starving would you steal bread?

As a last resort, yes. I would try everything else before that. I know enough people that would give me bread without a second thought. My older brother would never let me go without food. I would go to the local food pantry. Etc Etc. I think in today's world, there's almost always ways around stealing, though, as the "almost always" indicates, I'm sure there are some exceptions to that.

There isn't ANYTHING I wouldn't do for friends and family. That includes lying, cheating, stealing, everything else under the sun. That's why I'm so picky about who I let in. I won't do it casually or willy nilly with those who don't first try to take care of themselves. I don't compromise much on matters of principles.

Stealing a loaf of bread is not something I've ever considered though, as life never quite got that bad. Also, I'd cut the vast majority of my own personal pleasure or expenses first in order to feed my family. Have done so in the past.

Sure. I'm not just going to lay down and starve. I don't advocate theft as a lifestyle, or from everyday citizens who are themselves just trying to survive (can't say I feel too bad about people that steal from robber barons, though). But I would say stealing food to avoid starving to death, is a fair move, morally.

In fact I would argue that a society that allows its own citizens to starve, especially when it doesn't have to be like that, is itself unethical and therefore not the victim in this scenario - but not everyone is going to agree with me there, so I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
I would like to think I would be able to think of a better way to get my family out of such a crisis, and these days there are services that will provide for people in such situations (well here in Australia at least) but if there was no other choice, I’d risk it yes, but it is a risk, for if I got caught, then what happens to the family? There really isn’t a necessity to steal food to survive in my country.

Latest posts

Back