Wearing Masks - Rural vs Urban

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I live in a very large city. I see nearly everybody wearing masks when I'm out an about, which is only about once a week or two. I took a trip to several small rural places for 4X4 fun and hiking. I had to get gas several times and went inside to pay. I never wore a mask during the entire trip as it was under a bunch of stuff in my truck. I just said F it. To my surprise, it was rare to see anybody wearing masks even the cashiers. But, there were signs on the door saying it was mandatory. I guess it was just for show. I even had people walk up to me, introduce themselves, and shake my hand wanting to discus the area with me. It was like the Coronavirus was just a bunch of made up crap outside the big cities. I came back and got gas near my house without my mask on and people were shouting, mask! Mask! It was quite a different experience. Have you guys experienced similar stuff? I also think not wearing a mask means you support Trump. It's all kind of interesting.

I haven't seen people in shops not wearing masks. I live in a German city though and I don't know what it's like in rural places. I (and many others) already wore it before it became mandatory because our chancellor Ms. Merkel advised us to wear one. After she gave that statement I noticed a big increase in people wearing masks. And shortly after that, when they became obligatory, I didn't see anyone not obeying the rule. I did hear about some rebellious people though who complained they were not let into shops without a mask. There were security men outside of shops and they only let you in when you wore a mask and had a shopping cart (to facilitate personal distance). That has relaxed now and tjere are no security people anymore. But everyone is still wearing their mask.

I also thought it's just show, but I like them, because I feel more anonymous with them and I can't get attacked by random people who complain about my resting ***** face and tell me to smile. They also keep my face warm in winter. I would always want to wear one, not to protect me from the virus, but for personal comfort.

I live at the border to the Netherlands where people didn't wear masks for a long time and I heard of Germans being really surprised when they went shopping there, that they could just walk in without masks. They probably felt like you did. I think masks became mandatory there too now since recently, but I am not sure.

Good to hear you enjoyed a nice trip.

From what I've heard, the newest outbreaks are coming from rural areas. And yes, people in rural areas are probably less likely to wear masks, though I only have experience with rural areas, since that's where I live and I have no reason to go into bigger cities right now.
IMO, rural area people are generally more accepting of people because it's not as fast paced in those areas. We take our time for the most part.

As for the masks, I think it has something to do with the mindset of people. "Freedom" "guns for all" etc etc. It all falls in line with the lack of wearing masks. I know a lot of people who refuse to wear a mask. I also know a lot of people who will not social distance. My Facebook feed is full of "friends" posting pics of parties they have, taking selfies with everyone, their faces right next to each other. Personally, I think they are selfish. It's such a little **** thing that could help slow the spread and potentially save a life.

If America would have locked down...all the **** way down, only hospitals open...this would have been over a long ass time ago. Two weeks (more for those that get it, maybe) and it would be over. But no, the government (federal and state) pussyfooted around and now seven months later, people are annoyed and (even more) not doing what they should and it's getting worse.

I remember some months ago we went down south (on the island of Guam) and we went in a store to buy some snacks. we we're all wearing our masks when we went inside. after paying for our food and getting back in the car my friend says "dude, I just realized the lady (cashier) wasn't wearing a mask!" and then we all started laughing.

Myra said:
I also thought it's just show, but I like them, because I feel more anonymous with them and I can't get attacked by random people who complain about my resting ***** face and tell me to smile. They also keep my face warm in winter. I would always want to wear one, not to protect me from the virus, but for personal comfort.

Ha! ha! I like you. Is this similar to your resting ***** face. Ha! ha!

iu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Resting-**...-Creepy-Halloween-Costume-MC1010/124148230955

Maybe we should all wear full face masks and body suits to hide how we look and what race we are. Maybe that would stop some of the hating. 

Myra said:

Thanks! It is difficult to get away from other people with so many trails and access points closed. Whenever you think you are all alone just turn around and they'll be someone standing there looking at you. But, OMG, it was so much quiet then in the **** city.

TheRealCallie said:
If America would have locked down...all the **** way down, only hospitals open...this would have been over a long ass time ago. Two weeks (more for those that get it, maybe) and it would be over.  But no, the government (federal and state) pussyfooted around and now seven months later, people are annoyed and (even more) not doing what they should and it's getting worse.

Yeah, you were saying the same thing several months ago. If we all just did that we would be in a much better situation now. I think modern America is in the mindset of half-assing everything. Rural people are more down to earth with qualities of the past like honor, respect, and honesty. They hear all the lying thieving BS coming from the politicians spouting those qualities while exhibiting none of them and just figure the Coronavirus talk is more BS.

Azariah said:
I remember some months ago we went down south (on the island of Guam) and we went in a store to buy some snacks. we we're all wearing our masks when we went inside. after paying for our food and getting back in the car my friend says "dude, I just realized the lady (cashier) wasn't wearing a mask!" and then we all started laughing.

:)

Finished said:

iu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Resting-**...-Creepy-Halloween-Costume-MC1010/124148230955

Maybe we should all wear full face masks and body suits to hide how we look and what race we are. Maybe that would stop some of the hating. 

Yes, almost 😜 How do you come across such stuff?

Myra said:
Finished said:

iu

Yes, almost 😜 How do you come across such stuff?

It's just one of my many...... okay few........ attractive qualities. So I have to use it when I can. Ha! Ha!

I’m very lucky that the state I lived in we were not required to wear mask. Some people did, most others didn’t. I had to go to California for a business meeting last month so that’s the one and only time I had to wear one for a long period of time. When I got back to my room, my face was bright red and sweaty. I didn’t even wanna go back to the lobby to get food.

soresoul said:
I’m very lucky that the state I lived in we were not required to wear mask. Some people did, most others didn’t. I had to go to California for a business meeting last month so that’s the one and only time I had to wear one for a long period of time. When I got back to my room, my face was bright red and sweaty. I didn’t even wanna go back to the lobby to get food.

I definitely don't like them. I feel stupid wearing one. I see others not wearing them, wearing them incorrectly, removing them, shifting them around, rubbing their noses and putting them back on, and think why should I wear one in order to protect others that don't give one honeysuckle if I'm alive or dead. But, then I realize that I don't want to stand out so I keep mine on at stores that require them. I did think about buying one like the following:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.ecommercedns.uk%2Ffiles%2F3%2F214193%2F5%2F8966675%2Fpretending-to-give-a-fresia---black-mask-copy_small.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Finished said:
soresoul said:

I definitely don't like them. I feel stupid wearing one. I see others not wearing them, wearing them incorrectly, removing them, shifting them around, rubbing their noses and putting them back on, and think why should I wear one in order to protect others that don't give one honeysuckle if I'm alive or dead. But, then I realize that I don't want to stand out so I keep mine on at stores that require them. I did think about buying one like the following:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.ecommercedns.uk%2Ffiles%2F3%2F214193%2F5%2F8966675%2Fpretending-to-give-a-fresia---black-mask-copy_small.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
I agree. I’m a good sport and follow the guidelines and don’t make a stink about it. Even though I feel for you about other people not caring and what not, but I’ll be the guy I’ll be rubbing my nose and moving the sweat from under my nose at times if I had to be in a grocery store or wherever. I read articles a lot too that most people got more sick from wearing the mask because they are in hailing back everything they exhale and it leads too exhaustion.

For a long time I didn't wear a mask, not because I was an anti-masker but because I didn't go anywhere. Then I had to go out a couple times, so I had to mask up. My brother got me one with a Hawaiian shirt print theme. While I'm not a fan of the situation, I do think it looks kinda neat. Also, surprisingly not as uncomfortable or unbreathable as I expected. After a while, I forgot it was there.

Yeah, it really depends on what kind of mask you have on whether it's comfy and you can breath. I've had some I love and some I couldn't stand to wear more than 5 minutes.
That said, they do have little shield/bracket things you can get to keep the mask away from your mouth and nose more. Look them up on Amazon. (Not sure where else would sell them)

Ask not what your country can do for you… Put a mask on, it helps. I don’t like it, but the arguments, yelling, pushing, shoving, threatening, name calling are out of control.

I haven't seen people in shops not wearing masks. I live in a German city though and I don't know what it's like in rural places. I (and many others) already wore it before it became mandatory because our chancellor Ms. Merkel advised us to wear one. After she gave that statement I noticed a big increase in people wearing masks. And shortly after that, when they became obligatory, I didn't see anyone not obeying the rule. I did hear about some rebellious people though who complained they were not let into shops without a mask. There were security men outside of shops and they only let you in when you wore a mask and had a shopping cart (to facilitate personal distance). That has relaxed now and tjere are no security people anymore. But everyone is still wearing their mask.

I live at the border to the Netherlands where people didn't wear masks for a long time and I heard of Germans being really surprised when they went shopping there, that they could just walk in without masks. They probably felt like you did. I think masks became mandatory there too now since recently, but I am not sure.

We stopped wearing them again here in the Netherlands, I think beginning June (except in public transport).
1.5 meter rule stopped here at the end of September. We do have QR codes to show vaccination, negative test or antibodies for hospitality venues.
Press conference tomorrow with (expected) new rules as the number of hospitalisations is high again.

The Dutch don't like wearing masks and we have a lot of anti-vaxxers. I've already had a third vaccine as I have an autoimmune disease. I don't like masks either but it is what it is. Dutch people can be stubborn 🙄

My ex gf and my ex husband are both anti-vaxx, strange people 🙈

Edit: I went off topic. I'm pretty urban where I live and we just follow the rules (most of us).

Last edited:
Ask not what your country can do for you… Put a mask on, it helps. I don’t like it, but the arguments, yelling, pushing, shoving, threatening, name calling are out of control.
nanana Cult of Personality...dun du du dun!
Lol Sorry, wrestling tangent because of the first phrase. The following is a message from CM Punk ;-)
I agree about the aggressivity, on both sides of the argument. I wont comment much on this entire thread because there's a lot to discuss, it's a very complex subject, except to say that many people on both sides are bringning very simplistic solutions to a very complex problem that can't be solved by one opinion or the next. For example, my province had lockdown and mandatory masks, and yadda yadda. Did it solve the problem? Nope, cases are flaring up again, it just took longer.
I think many people also went in thinking that all those measures were designed to eradicate the virus. They really werent. They were designed to slow the flow of people overloading the hospitals. Because had that happened, as it happened elsewhere, things would have gotten much worse, more quickly.
I think the arguments of freedom vs mandatory makes valid points on both sides, sometimes. I also think it has disturbing excesses on both sides.
And...I'll leave it at that lol. People can pm me if they really want a four page dissertation with my unimportant opinion 😇

nanana Cult of Personality...dun du du dun!
Lol Sorry, wrestling tangent because of the first phrase. The following is a message from CM Punk ;-)
I agree about the aggressivity, on both sides of the argument. I wont comment much on this entire thread because there's a lot to discuss, it's a very complex subject, except to say that many people on both sides are bringning very simplistic solutions to a very complex problem that can't be solved by one opinion or the next. For example, my province had lockdown and mandatory masks, and yadda yadda. Did it solve the problem? Nope, cases are flaring up again, it just took longer.
I think many people also went in thinking that all those measures were designed to eradicate the virus. They really werent. They were designed to slow the flow of people overloading the hospitals. Because had that happened, as it happened elsewhere, things would have gotten much worse, more quickly.
I think the arguments of freedom vs mandatory makes valid points on both sides, sometimes. I also think it has disturbing excesses on both sides.
And...I'll leave it at that lol. People can pm me if they really want a four page dissertation with my unimportant opinion 😇
There are many things we don’t like doing but we have to anyway, for public safety And other reasos. For example, being felt up by security and taking our shoes off. We wear seat belts without bribing about freedom, try getting out of the ticket by telling cop “I don’t care if I die in the crash”. Richard, I too have some deep thoughts on this topic, more than I can ever type out, cuz I truly hate writing. You are right about slowing the flow. In the US, “ freedom” states recklessly spread the virus beyond infrastructure to handle the sick. Started shipping sick to states who can manage, causing disruptions in these states. Mandates are as good as people obeying, which is hit or miss, depending where you live. People are tired of measures, but majority was tired of it after few days and decided to go all out against the rules. I would like to point out, that Covid affect us more than just personal illness or death. In hot spots, if all employees got sick, you will not be able to get their service. In my city, 911 operators had an outbreak, 19 in total were sick. Your house will burn down if you calls are not answered. Also, drinking water in my area is treated with liquid oxygen, which ran low due to horrible covid hospitalization rate. We were asked to conserve water or reach boil water stage. I read it in the paper, I received robo call, and then a mailer. We all did. What did I see walking around the block, 3 neighbors watering the lawn which was, alongside pressure and car washing, specific water saving measure stated by the utility co.
For all these who tout their strong immunity and not being afraid of covid, think how others illnesses may come to bite you on the cheeks. S are thing goes for far away countries who nowadays manufacture stuff we buy. If you can’t find it, or price tripled due to supply and demand, it maybe covid related. I am a big picture person, it’s a curse 😂

Latest posts

Back