Hello from London

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccarose

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently discovered these forums during lockdown and figured they might be a nice way to connect with people. I'm a 26-year-old female from England and have just moved to North London. I don't know anyone here other than my partner and I've always found it difficult to make friends.

It would be nice to get to know some people on here and to make some friendships - even virtually. A few things I enjoy: classic literature, vintage films, old music and fashion, and cooking!

I'm also keen to hear what you've all been doing to stay healthy and grounded during these times. Personally, I've found yoga really relaxing and a great way to carve out some self-care time.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm into classic literature as well. What are some of your favorite books/authors?

Welcome to this forum!

rebeccarose said:
Hi all,
I'm a 26-year-old female from England and have just moved to North London. I don't know anyone here other than my partner and I've always found it difficult to make friends.

It would be nice to get to know some people on here and to make some friendships - even virtually.
There are people from London on here. I exchanged a few PM a while ago with a woman who lives in London too, and I believe I've seen others from London on here. You might be able to meet someone on here :)

I'm also keen to hear what you've all been doing to stay healthy and grounded during these times. Personally, I've found yoga really relaxing and a great way to carve out some self-care time.

I also like to do yoga. It really feels relaxing :)

Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the forum rebeccarose, I hope you find some good friends through here. I work in London most days, in the normal days it was good to get out to the galleries, concerts and museums after work, fingers crossed that kind of stuff can get back to normal soon.

Not a great time to move to a new area and meet people, but I'm sure it will pick up.

Alyosha said:
Welcome to the forum.

I'm into classic literature as well.  What are some of your favorite books/authors?

That's nice to hear!

Some of my favourites include Jane Eyre, Dracula, and Frankenstein (I love anything Gothic). I've also been reading a lot of D. H. Lawrence lately and am enjoying it. Funnily enough, I used to get him confused with H. P. Lovecraft, which is why I read one of his books in the first place. Turns out Lawrence is just as interesting! 

How about you? I'd love to explore some more literature/film threads on this forum.

Finished said:
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you.  :)

Myra said:
Welcome to this forum!

rebeccarose said:
Hi all,
I'm a 26-year-old female from England and have just moved to North London. I don't know anyone here other than my partner and I've always found it difficult to make friends.

It would be nice to get to know some people on here and to make some friendships - even virtually.
There are people from London on here. I exchanged a few PM a while ago with a woman who lives in London too, and I believe I've seen others from London on here. You might be able to meet someone on here :)

I also like to do yoga. It really feels relaxing :)

This is good to hear! I hope I can connect with some people. I'm glad you're also a fan of yoga! I've mainly discovered it from YouTube/Pinterest.

Minus said:
Welcome to the site.

Thanks.  ;)

Forgottendanfan said:
Hello from Nottinghamshire.

Hello!  :cool:

Yeti1980 said:
Welcome to the forum rebeccarose, I hope you find some good friends through here. I work in London most days, in the normal days it was good to get out to the galleries, concerts and museums after work, fingers crossed that kind of stuff can get back to normal soon.

Not a great time to move to a new area and meet people, but I'm sure it will pick up.

Thank you. I hope so too. It'll be nice to chat to others in my free time, at least. That's great -- London is so beautiful when it's thriving. I work in a gallery so it's interesting times, indeed. 

Not the best circumstances but I'm sure we'll get through them.

rebeccarose said:
Alyosha said:
Welcome to the forum.

I'm into classic literature as well.  What are some of your favorite books/authors?

That's nice to hear!

Some of my favourites include Jane Eyre, Dracula, and Frankenstein (I love anything Gothic). I've also been reading a lot of D. H. Lawrence lately and am enjoying it. Funnily enough, I used to get him confused with H. P. Lovecraft, which is why I read one of his books in the first place. Turns out Lawrence is just as interesting! 

How about you? I'd love to explore some more literature/film threads on this forum.

Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books.  Along the Gothic lines, I also like Wuthering Heights and The Picture of Dorian Gray.  I haven't read anything by Lawrence yet, but I probably should.  Some of my favorite authors are Hardy, Dostoevsky, Kafka, and Dumas.

Mind if I ask which gallery? I used to do the drop-in drawing thing on Friday nights at the National Portrait, really miss it. Guessing that's a piece of your work in the thumbnail?

rebeccarose said:
This is good to hear! I hope I can connect with some people. I'm glad you're also a fan of yoga! I've mainly discovered it from YouTube/Pinterest.
I also discovered it on youtube.

Yeti1980 said:
Mind if I ask which gallery? I used to do the drop-in drawing thing on Friday nights at the National Portrait, really miss it. Guessing that's a piece of your work in the thumbnail?

Hey, I used to go to that a few years back (used it for my DofE skill).

I live in East London. I joined this site earlier this year, made some connections but then career things took over so got really busy. Recently started a new job and now slowing down ahead of Christmas so have time to get back on here. I'm not great socially and really need to get better at trying to keep active and in touch.

Myra - sorry just catching up. I think it was probably me you DM'd earlier this year. Good to see you're still on here  :)

Alyosha said:
rebeccarose said:
Alyosha said:
Welcome to the forum.

That's nice to hear!

Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books.  Along the Gothic lines, I also like Wuthering Heights and The Picture of Dorian Gray.  I haven't read anything by Lawrence yet, but I probably should.  Some of my favorite authors are Hardy, Dostoevsky, Kafka, and Dumas.

Wow, great! I love Dostoevsky but haven't read too much of Hardy. What would you recommend?

Yeti1980 said:

I'm at a much smaller gallery in Hampstead! The thumbnail is by Richard James Lane. I'm not much of an artist myself, but I'm always in awe of the sketches people produce within our museum!

rebeccarose said:
I love Dostoevsky but haven't read too much of Hardy. What would you recommend?

I think Tess of the d'Urbervilles is Hardy's most affecting book and has some of his most beautiful writing.  Jude the Obscure is another masterpiece. 

Do you have any particular favorite works by Dostoevsky?

Welcome and hello! I have never made it to the UK, but I would love to see it someday. I actually consume a fair amount of British news, television and radio and I find myself saying "right!" more often.

You said that you like old music. How old? I like everything back to early music. Or do you mean Devo? :D

Alyosha said:
rebeccarose said:

I think Tess of the d'Urbervilles is Hardy's most affecting book and has some of his most beautiful writing.  Jude the Obscure is another masterpiece. 

Interesting, thanks! I'll be sure to check them out. The first of his works I read was Notes from Underground. I found his style so fascinating.

ewomack said:
Welcome and hello! I have never made it to the UK, but I would love to see it someday. I actually consume a fair amount of British news, television and radio and I find myself saying "right!" more often.

You said that you like old music. How old? I like everything back to early music. Or do you mean Devo? :D

Ah, great. Hopefully you'll make it here one day! I like a lot of Big Band music from the 40s and popular music from the 50s and 60s! I haven't listened to Devo, haha. What are your favourites?

rebeccarose said:
Alyosha said:
rebeccarose said:

Interesting, thanks! I'll be sure to check them out. The first of his works I read was Notes from Underground. I found his style so fascinating.

ewomack said:

Ah, great. Hopefully you'll make it here one day! I like a lot of Big Band music from the 40s and popular music from the 50s and 60s! I haven't listened to Devo, haha. What are your favourites?

I like just about anything from opera to old country to 60s French pop to some rap, etc. Big Band is also great. My grandfather actually auditioned with Tommy Dorsey when he was young, but the family legend is that he became really nervous and so had a pint and showed up to the audition quite a little off. Needless to say, he didn't pass the audition. Recently I discovered the Boswell Sisters, a trio from the 1930s who did some amazing harmonies. Some consider them the prelude to the Andrews Sisters.

rebeccarose said:
Alyosha said:
rebeccarose said:

Fascinating for sure.  He gives his readers a lot to talk about.  Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov are two of the best books I've ever read.

Latest posts

Back