How can I love another person if I don't even like myself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here what works for me:  start to identify things that you do that you enjoy.  Things that take mind off your problems.  Then make a habit to does those things on a regular basis.  You will be thanking yourself for doing those things and can start sharing the positive experience with others.

^ It seems to be a permanent situation for him. He's addicted to sadness and being down on himself like a few others on here. It's a permanent trap. He needs more then a few quick suggestions. He needs a reset. Are there stronger alternatives? Maybe electroshock therapy? Does anybody have experience with that?

It's easier to like another person. Because you don't know all the bad things they've done and all their bad thoughts, fantasies and intentions.

Hi Azariah,

It's often been said that confidence builds confidence, and I really think it's true. There comes a point where you have to just put aside the doubts and try and throw yourself into something. Many people in life, myself included, can hardly believe that someone could love them, or that they could achieve the things in their career that they have, and so on. And yet these things happen for people.

It takes a first step of courage to get going and find your sense of self worth, I spent many years idle thinking I could never get a decent job or that I had three million things wrong with me. It was a complete waste of time and I wish I'd thrown the self doubt out of the window a lot earlier.

Wishing you all the best, please remember to punch the gremlin of self doubt in the face next time it pops up.

I had a lot of trouble in my 30's with this issue. I didn't love myself at all. I actually hated everything about myself. It took me nearly 20 years to break that mind frame. I had to discover what made me happy and passionate. For me, it was hikes in nature, drawing, baking, having dogs, gardening...when I started to really enjoy the things I was doing, I started to look forward to doing them and taking good care of myself just fell into place. This built my confidence. I can say now that I truly love myself, though I still have issues with people pleasing and setting boundaries and keeping them. It's a life's work I guess. I hope you find some love for yourself. Life is way too short.

My new year's resolution is to stop self hatred and any hate for that matter.

Life changing resolution.

Reminds me of the old chestnut "nobody will love you if you don't love yourself", which is completely untrue. Just a platitude said by people who think they're being profound.

Latest posts

Back