Hi

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonely nana

Reaction score
I am a 64 year old woman who lives in Pennsylvania. I just moved her a few months ago. Things are not going as they were supposed to and I find myself feeling like a prisoner. I have no car and know  no one to take me places like the store, etc. where I live there is absolutely no where to walk to. I live with a paraplegic boyfriend, but we are drifting apart and have even talked about separating. I can’t get set up with any doctors here because the only ride is telling me I have to take the public bus. I have sever anxiety issues and physically cannot take the bus. They will not recognize mental illness as a disability. So here I sit. Just waiting for my pills to run out. I have no one who understands what I am going through. I am so tired of this world.

Hi Nana (can I call you Nana?)

My name is Katheryn. I'm new to this site as well, and found it by Googling "I am so lonely." I'm in a similar situation as you albeit I am 32. Even so I'd like to get to know you!

Anyway it's nice to meet you. Please send me a PM if you'd like to chat. :)

You situation doesn't sound fun. But, you can quickly turn things around with a little bit of initiative instead of depending on others. Unless the boyfriend is your meal ticket, kick him to the curb. He should be kissing your ass if that's possible. 

I suggest you do a simple Internet Search. I just went to DuckDuckGo.com and typed in ride sharing services for Pennsylvania. And the first result was:

"Ridesharing - Pennsylvania Department of Transportation"

"Pennsylvania offers shared-ride, demand-responsive services for senior citizens. Learn more about the Shared-Ride Program. Park and Ride Locations These PennDOT-maintained Park and Ride facilities offer a safe, convenient location for commuters to leave their automobiles and travel to their destinations in carpools, vanpools or buses." They list four ride sharing services. Is Covid the problem? Surely you can mask up and head out like most people. Already at your age it's probably best to hide in place until you can get the vaccine.

https://www.penndot.gov/TravelInPA/Ridesharing/Pages/default.aspx

There's also Uber and other ride sharing services possible. But, they won't give you rides if you don't contact them.

And...... Who won't recognize mental illness as a disability? There's thousands of people living on the government due to mental illness. It's a long crappy process. But, it'll give you something to do.

Oh, and..... Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the forums.

What is the reason you moved there? Did you move there together with your boyfriend or was he already living there?

Lonely nana, your situation does indeed sound distressing, and you've done well to reach out for some kind of support or encouragement here.  Allow me to touch on a couple of your points briefly.

As a retiree traveling the world full time, I have no home, car, furniture, or family support system.  I move from place to place and am generally dependent upon walking to grocery stores, restaurants, ATM's, etc.  Thus, I select my hotel or apartment location carefully with that in mind.  In your case, it appears that you've anchored yourself in a location that's incompatible with your lifestyle needs.  Now, I understand that making another move may not be feasible for you right away, but I'd suggest that you start researching your options for a home located closer to shopping and businesses.

No matter where you live, you're going to need occasional transportation beyond your feet - like doctors' appointments clear across town.  You really should check on-line for any medical transportation services offered in your area.  My best friend uses such a service for his dialysis trips.  They're small, personal, and free, and I think you might find them emotionally feasible, versus the public bus system.  In addition to that, you'd best accept the practicality of using Uber and Lyft services.  It can be a bit worrisome for some of us senior citizens, especially if you don't have a good phone, but it is an effective solution to not having a car.

I won't offer any further advice on a relationship I know nothing about or your anxiety issues that may warrant professional help.  But, here's a song for you to hang onto through these troubling times.

[size=small]

Welcome :)

My in laws live in PA, though they are very rural. Check into the Council of Aging and places similar. They often provide transportation for those who can't get there on their own.

Welcome, Nana. I doubt I can be as helpful as anyone else on this forum but please know that I hear you and support you. Mind if I ask what took you to Pennsylvania? I'm sure many of us would love to hear from you and help you in any way we can.

It sounds like you're in a tough situation, Nana. I hope you find a way to navigate out of it and find some contentment. Feel free to keep posting here to let us know how it's going.

Latest posts

Back