About you - Your profile

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarDust

Life is a journey, not a destination 😉
Reaction score
Hi!    Hello!

I browse through the forum reading discussions and postings and really appreciate how open people can be and sincerely appreciate those people sharing a part of your life here.      My question is why do so many have such few details in their profile?   After reading a post, I usually check the profile.   I refrain from responding many times as not sure if I am writing to a person who is 25 years old or 50 years old.   Should I 'assume' you are American or are you from a village in Budapest? So I do a search of your other posts to see if you mention your age or other details.  Then I get loss on other discussions....

Just like to hear from those who have not updated your profile on why that is.   No judgement.  I am blind to why there is a lack of details in profiles and looking for enlightenment.

One of my philosophies in life is that we each have the right and power to make decisions and boundaries on how we choose to conduct our life.    You are in your right to have a blank profile.

I am just curious on reasons of blank profile when this forum seems to be based on breaking the isolation?  

And THANKS for reading my very first thread!    Do I get a medal now?   :D

I think there are several reasons why. But, I can only speak for myself. I don't mind putting in some details. But, I don't want to put in enough that I can be found in real life. Also IMO, some come to either post and read posts. They aren't interested in making connections with others. And some are private. Once you get to know them somewhat they give you some details.

StarDust said:
Hi!    Hello!

I browse through the forum reading discussions and postings and really appreciate how open people can be and sincerely appreciate those people sharing a part of your life here.      My question is why do so many have such few details in their profile?   After reading a post, I usually check the profile.   I refrain from responding many times as not sure if I am writing to a person who is 25 years old or 50 years old.   Should I 'assume' you are American or are you from a village in Budapest? So I do a search of your other posts to see if you mention your age or other details.  Then I get loss on other discussions....

Just like to hear from those who have not updated your profile on why that is.   No judgement.  I am blind to why there is a lack of details in profiles and looking for enlightenment.

One of my philosophies in life is that we each have the right and power to make decisions and boundaries on how we choose to conduct our life.    You are in your right to have a blank profile.

I am just curious on reasons of blank profile when this forum seems to be based on breaking the isolation?  

And THANKS for reading my very first thread!    Do I get a medal now?   :D

I think it's because some of us have gotten to know each other, so we just don't bother. Being on the chat helps.

I remember putting much more effort into my profile when I joined and how I updated and changed parts over the years. It feels a bit pretentious in retrospect, there was so much waffling and tons of quotes in my bio as well. Now I sacrificed my bio section for a silly joke but I feel more comfortable with that these days. I think that threads and responses are more representative too. Some might just forget about the whole thing, when it's located somewhere in the User Control Panel.

I want to be in control of my information, and give it out to people who earn my trust and people I like. I don't want it getting into the wrong hands and used to harass me.

I actually get to know people by their posts. I rarely if ever look at profiles, so that probably explains why I've spent so little time on my own.

Also, I agree with the above that I like to maintain a certain amount of anonymity on the Internet. I share more in private conversations, once I get to know a person, but the Internet really isn't always a safe place to share personal details.

I am on a lot of hobby forums and usually fill in my profile. Here I sort of forgot to do it. I too like OP StarDust like to go reading someone's profile and most times profiles are empty. And like some other poster said one can get to know a person through their posts. I did mention my age in several posts. I am 61 female. Today I updated my profile.

If the daytime light is not too grey skies some painting, some beadwork and hand sew some more on pillowcase. Then coloring.

I would've filled out info, but didn't see where to do that at the time I joined.

I don't care how old someone is or how much they weigh. Those numbers are confining, not defining.
It's interesting to know where someone is from, but sometimes that gives biased ideas too.

I think there are several reasons why. But, I can only speak for myself. I don't mind putting in some details. But, I don't want to put in enough that I can be found in real life. Also IMO, some come to either post and read posts. They aren't interested in making connections with others. And some are private. Once you get to know them somewhat they give you some details.
"some come to either post and read posts. They aren't interested in making connections with others. And some are private."
That'd be me.

Latest posts

Back