Ashamed...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iseestars

I'm ashamed of wanting love and affection so much. And I don't know how to get rid of this feeling of shame. I don't even understand why I feel so ashamed... It's just that this huge wanting turned me into a pathetic person. Anyone who tells me a kind word because a saint in my eyes instantly. I'm not able to see things clearly. I'm blinded by my feelings each and every day and I'm in a desperate need to escape this swamp that I find myself in...
I run from people because I know I can't be trusted. I'm blind emotionally , I can't use my mind when it comes to relationships.
I'm just wondering if any of you felt this way before. And how did you manage it? What do you do when you feel controlled by your own feelings...?
I'm afraid of myself and I don't know how to protect myself from... myself... Help...

It's natural to want to be loved and have affection. I would suggest that you try to understand why you feel ashamed. Do you have insecurities and if what caused them? IMO asking such questions can be a good start to understand better why you're burdened by shame.

Lacrecia said:
It's natural to want to be loved and have affection. I would suggest that you try to understand why you feel ashamed. Do you have insecurities and if what caused them? IMO asking such questions can be a good start to understand better why you're burdened by shame.

I feel as if I'm the last person in the world who deserves love. I guess that my many failed relationships led to this. I never thought they would lead to the state I find myself in now. But here I am..

Many failed relationships do not make a person undeserving of love. A relationship does not depend only on you. Was there a repetitive patten tho that led to the breakups?

Lacrecia said:
Many failed relationships do not make a person undeserving of love. A relationship does not depend only on you. Was there a repetitive patten tho that led to the breakups?

Yes, I know that I shouldn't feel ashamed but I feel like I wasted my life on so many relationships and now there's nothing good left in me because I gave it all away.
The pattern wasn't repetitive, each break-up was different, each relationship ended in a different way. And there were too many to count.

iseestars said:
Lacrecia said:

Yes, I know that I shouldn't feel ashamed but I feel like I wasted my life on so many relationships and now there's nothing good left in me because I gave it all away.
The pattern wasn't repetitive, each break-up was different, each relationship ended in a different way. And there were too many to count.

You know, I find relationships to be social experiments. The fact that yours are all different, and ending differently is actually a positive thing. Finding out what doesn't work and understanding why it's not, is a way for you to learn about yourself. One day you will find a relationship, and it will click. You aren't going to have those red flags, and it will be a positive experience. It will not be perfect, but the greater good of the relationship will outweigh those imperfections. Just don't let yourself get too jaded. That is when you stay in the rut and never get out.

This is difficult for a lot of guys here to relate to, since most of us have never had opportunities at having relationships, good or bad, no prospect of next time arounds. Is never having had a date by middle age preferable to several disastrous relationships? There's no way to compare.

ardour said:
Is never having had a date by middle age preferable to several disastrous relationships?

That wouldn't matter to me. It's the person I care about.

Nicolelt said:
iseestars said:
Lacrecia said:

You know, I find relationships to be social experiments. The fact that yours are all different, and ending differently is actually a positive thing. Finding out what doesn't work and understanding why it's not, is a way for you to learn about yourself. One day you will find a relationship, and it will click. You aren't going to have those red flags, and it will be a positive experience. It will not be perfect, but the greater good of the relationship will outweigh those imperfections. Just don't let yourself get too jaded. That is when you stay in the rut and never get out.

Thank you for the kind words! Something tells me I'm doomed in a way. But hope is still there. Sometimes I wish I had no hope left because hope makes me weak in a way.

ardour said:
This is difficult for a lot of guys here to relate to, since  most of us have never had opportunities at having relationships, good or bad,  no prospect of  next time arounds. Is never having had a date by middle age preferable to several disastrous relationships? There's no way to compare.

I know, it's just that this is the only forum I can relate to in a way, because of my sadness.
And about your question... Well, in my case, having no relationships at all would have been better than having so many failed ones. Because I was left emotionally scarred and now I can't trust anyone anymore and, most of all, I stopped believing in myself. I wish I could delete my memories and just forget everything. Remembering makes my days and my nights so painful.

i don't think it's anything to be ashamed about as it is a very natural need of human beings. i think for me at least it's more a matter of despair knowing that i am not good enough to experience the love & attention which i crave. by far the worst consequence of being cursed with inferior genetics is being forced to a lifetime of being single, alone & unwanted. sometimes for a man the only difference between a decent life and a miserable one is a few inches of height & a few mm of facial structure.

mgill said:
i don't think it's anything to be ashamed about as it is a very natural need of human beings.  i think for me at least it's more a matter of despair knowing that i am not good enough to experience the love & attention which i crave.  by far the worst consequence of being cursed with inferior genetics is being forced to a lifetime of being single, alone & unwanted.  sometimes for a man the only difference between a decent life and a miserable one is a few inches of height & a few mm of facial structure.

From what I know looks don't matter when it comes to love.  Because true love is based on other things that don't involve looks. And I guess that's why it's so hard to find genuine love these days. 

It's just my personal opinion..

iseestars said:
mgill said:
i don't think it's anything to be ashamed about as it is a very natural need of human beings.  i think for me at least it's more a matter of despair knowing that i am not good enough to experience the love & attention which i crave.  by far the worst consequence of being cursed with inferior genetics is being forced to a lifetime of being single, alone & unwanted.  sometimes for a man the only difference between a decent life and a miserable one is a few inches of height & a few mm of facial structure.

From what I know looks don't matter when it comes to love.  Because true love is based on other things that don't involve looks. And I guess that's why it's so hard to find genuine love these days. 

that is certainly a very popular view on the subject but the truth is far different. the Halo Effect is an supremely powerful unconscious bias so without a certain baseline of physical attractiveness, women will not have any romantic attraction to a man.  in fact, even a lack of height alone is very often sufficient to exclude interest from the vast majority of females.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...en-why-women-arent-attracted-enough-date-them

mgill said:
iseestars said:
mgill said:

that is certainly a very popular view on the subject but the truth is far different. the Halo Effect is an supremely powerful unconscious bias so without a certain baseline of physical attractiveness, women will not have any romantic attraction to a man.  in fact, even a lack of height alone is very often sufficient to exclude interest from the vast majority of females.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...en-why-women-arent-attracted-enough-date-them
I wouldn't know what to comment on that. I have a different opinion

iseestars said:
mgill said:
iseestars said:
mgill said:

there is an old saying that everyone is entitiled to their own opinion but they are not entitled to their own facts.  i had trouble with this truth too until i experienced it myself firsthand.  OLD & social media have completely skewed the dating market for men so there is simply no way for average and below average men to compete with the plethora of tall, good looking men available at the swipe of a women's phone screen.

mgill said:
iseestars said:
mgill said:
iseestars said:
mgill said:

there is an old saying that everyone is entitiled to their own opinion but they are not entitled to their own facts.  i had trouble with this truth too until i experienced it myself firsthand.  OLD & social media have completely skewed the dating market for men so there is simply no way for average and below average men to compete with the plethora of tall, good looking men available at the swipe of a women's phone screen.
I believe not all women are interested in looks and material aspects. And I believe that if you never give up, you will one day find what you are looking for. It just takes time, that's all.

iseestars said:
mgill said:
iseestars said:
mgill said:
iseestars said:

I believe not all women are interested in looks and material aspects. And I believe that if you never give up, you will one day find what you are looking for. It just takes time, that's all.

i agree that it's not true for all women but it is for the vast majority of them. there is only so much failure & rejection that one can take until they give up entirely in order to retain what little self esteem they may have remaining.

mgill said:
iseestars said:
mgill said:
iseestars said:
mgill said:

They aren't really facts though in the way you're suggesting. There's a pattern of women finding tall men attractive but it varies between individuals and may not apply to the OP. Women on dating sites are, arguably, more likely to be picky on these things.

studies show that it's far more than just a pattern and this requirement is certainly not limited to OLD. it's also not just about height either (but i think in many cases a lack of height alone can be the determining factor) as the top three physical characteristics women rate us on are a man's height, his face & his hair. i would agree that perhaps if he is average or below average in one of these categories he may be able to help make up for it if he is exceptional in one or two of the others. the problems come in when he is at best average or below average in 2 or all 3. as a short (pathetic 5'6), bald and at best average facially man who has not had a single date in over 7 years, i know all too well how extremely critical height, face & hair are for any man seeking an intimate relationship and how the lack of these qualities will make it virtually impossible for him to find a partner.

the bottom line is that a man is attractive when women are attracted to him and he is not when women are not attracted to him. some men are just too genetically inferior for women to ever show us any interest even if we are very successful in many other area's. as another old saying goes, there is no gym for your height or face.

mgill said:
studies show that it's far more than just a pattern and this requirement is certainly not limited to OLD.  it's also not just about height either (but i think in many cases  a lack of height alone can be the determining factor) as the top three physical characteristics women rate us on are a man's height, his face & his hair.  i would agree that perhaps if he is average or below average in one of these categories he may be able to help make up for it if he is exceptional in one or two of the others.  the problems come in when he is at best average or below average in 2 or all 3.  as a short (pathetic 5'6), bald and at best average facially man who has not had a single date in over 7 years, i know all too well how extremely critical height, face & hair are for any man seeking an intimate relationship and how the lack of these qualities will make it virtually impossible for him to find a partner.

the bottom line is that a man is attractive when women are attracted to him and he is not when women are not attracted to him.  some men are just too genetically inferior for women to ever show us any interest even if we are very successful in many other area's.  as another old saying goes, there is no gym for your height or face.
I still don't understand what looks have to do with finding love . A solely  intimate relationship is just that - an intimate relationship , based on instincts and therefore looks. But love is much more than that. Love takes time. It starts with friendships and continues without ending, incorporating on the way: intimacy, trust, laughter, the good times, the bad times, strong friendship, etc. 

When you say most women are interested in looks when it comes to intimacy is like saying a car needs to look good in order to ride it. Yes, those who are looking for instant gratification, will choose a great looking car . But a great looking car doesn't guarantee anything else . Looks fade. A car gets rusty and if you didn't choose it for what's under the hood, it won't take you too far.

A gorgeous looking guy will get old eventually and get to 85 years old for example , and he will not look young anymore on the outside, he will have wrinkles and less hair or even no hair at all, no teeth or a few teeth left, a bump on his back, a limp maybe, etc. What matters is the inside. If he has a beautiful soul, his inner beauty will reflect on the outside too and his wife will love him and appreciate him for who he is, she will love every inch of his body because he is the one for he, he is her knight .

A true woman needs a man with a beautiful soul. You must search for such a woman if you want to find happiness in a romantic relationship. 

True love is almost impossible to find these days. Some people think they found it but they didn't in reality. Most  never find it. But it's better to spend eternity alone than with the wrong person.

a man's height & looks level have a tremendous amount to do with finding love. without a minimum of physical attraction a women is never going to want to get to know a him well enough to be romantically interested in him. since studies have shown that women consider 80% of men to be below average looking it is mainly only the top 20% of men who are even considered as potential partners by the vast majority of women.

i think your car analogy is a good one but most women who can afford it will take a flashy, expensive corvette which has horrible gas mileage and breaks down all the time over an inexpensive, extremely reliable but plain looking compact car which gets great gas mileage.

i think if our society did function the way you suggest there would be FAR fewer single, lonely men in the world. for example, just consider how love is portried in movies & the media. the male love interest is ALWAYS tall & very good looking-even to the point of having the man stand on boxes so he appears to be taller than his female co-star (Tom Cruise & Robert Downy Jr are just two of many examples of this).

Latest posts

Back