How can I tell if people really want to talk?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iseestars

I kept thinking these days about something... How can I tell if people really want to talk to me? For example when someone replies to my long messages with only "ok" or "that's cool", etc., is it because they're not interested in talking or is it  because they're just not sure what to say? How can I tell the difference? I know these might sound like really silly, childish questions but I honestly don't know what to do about this issue. : D Sometimes it's really hard for me to "read" some people.
Should I just ask them directly "why are your replies so short" or should I forget it and leave things as they are?

My solution, has always just to make sure my replies are detailed. You never really know what is going on with the other people, and I don't like to make assumptions. However, if you find that you still feel like it's not really working how you planned, time to move on. You do deserve people that are interested in you, and give you the time of day.

Sometimes I make lengthy replies and sometimes I only include a picture. It just depends on the situation. Sometimes I have nothing to contribute so I keep things very short. Sometimes, like today I feel very lazy. So, this is all that I'm going to write. :)

AmyTheTemperamental said:
My solution, has always just to make sure my replies are detailed. You never really know what is going on with the other people, and I don't like to make assumptions. However, if you find that you still feel like it's not really working how you planned, time to move on. You do deserve people that are interested in you, and give you the time of day.

Yes, I don't like to make assumptions either. Thank you for your advice! I will keep talking to people until they explicitly say they no longer want to talk. And if they don't want to talk then I'll move on to other people and so on. : )

Finished said:
Sometimes I make lengthy replies and sometimes I only include a picture. It just depends on the situation. Sometimes I have nothing to contribute so I keep things very short. Sometimes, like today I feel very lazy. So, this is all that I'm going to write. :)

Yes, I think we all have days when we don't feel like talking much. : )

I think that one short replies to my long messages means nothing, but I'd better make a pause. But if it lasts for some time, I decide to stop the communiction. So a frequency is how I know the difference. And I wouldn't ask, well if person is interested in a communication but just answer short for some reason, he/she would write back after all. I think so.

4No1 said:
I think that one short replies to my long messages means nothing, but I'd better make a pause. But if it lasts for some time, I decide to stop the communiction. So a frequency is how I know the difference. And I wouldn't ask, well if person is interested in a communication but just answer short for some reason, he/she would write back after all. I think so.

Oh I understand... So the frequency is what makes the difference. I will keep that in mind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! : )

Important thing is not to take it personally if a communication you are having doesn't go the way you expect it to or a person doesn't act interested in what you have to say. Experience will fill in the rest of the blanks.

Sunless Sky said:
Important thing is not to take it personally if a communication you are having doesn't go the way you expect it to or a person doesn't act interested in what you have to say. Experience will fill in the rest of the blanks.

Yes I know... I almost never take things personally actually... Working in call-center taught me a lot : D

Latest posts

Back