Young Love

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iseestars

Today I saw a teenage boy and a teenage girl walking hand in hand and kiss on the cheek and cuddle and thought to myself "that's so silly, love at that age never lasts". And my second thought after that was "wait... what? what's happening to me? When did I stop believing in young love?"
And then I realised , I'm changed, I don't believe in the things I used to believe years back. And it's sad, really.. I don't want to be that mom who discourages her kid when he's a teenager and tells him there's no such thing as young love.
If love never lasted for me when I was younger,  it doesn't mean there aren't teenagers out there who are genuinely in love and who will be together till the end.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on this particular subject. It weights heavy on me; the fear of becoming cold-hearted and a non-believer in beautiful things. I miss my old self. I wonder what happened to me. I thought time would make me wiser, not colder. I wish I could smile now, but I can't. Not tonight... Smiling can't save me this time..

Love has so many different stages. Young love is truly beautiful, IMO. However, I think people struggle with it because in order to be successful with love, you have to accept that things are always going to be changing as you grow. You're going to grow into a different person multiple times, as is your partner.

Sometimes, love pushes you to be that new person, and then it fades. And that's okay. Honestly, as long as you approach it with an open heart, old or young, doesn't matter.

Have to agree with Amy here, love changes but true love also perseveres.

AmyTheTemperamental said:
Love has so many different stages. Young love is truly beautiful, IMO. However, I think people struggle with it because in order to be successful with love, you have to accept that things are always going to be changing as you grow. You're going to grow into a different person multiple times, as is your partner.

Sometimes, love pushes you to be that new person, and then it fades. And that's okay. Honestly, as long as you approach it with an open heart, old or young, doesn't matter.
That's so beautifully said.. And the "growing into a different person multiple times" part is really eye-opening

It's not that young and lasting love doesn't happen, but it seems to be very much a coin toss. A 50/50 chance of it lasting at all, let alone a significant number of years. Teenage years are tumultuous and so are the following years t when people truly grow into their future selves and understand what they want from life. A lot of that love is as true as it is merely "in the moment". My experiences have also made me a cynic so I'd say that oftentimes there's very little difference between innocence and naivety in these times.

The lives of teenagers are different. They're still in school, they don't have too many things on their minds (except for hormones) and the parents still manage a big portion of their lives, at least the boring parts if they're lucky. Adult life is different - a lot of routine, boring stuff and many responsibilities that all have to be focused on and then on top of that you deal with matters of love, family and the expectations you and your potential partner have.

It's okay to feel jaded because things didn't work out for you when you see the happiness of others - it's not like you are actively badmouthing their situation. You're just a different person with different experiences, perhaps also different aspirations. It's fine as long as you are aware of that.

I didn't experience young love, but when I was younger I was OK with it because I thought to myself, "it probably won't last, no one knows who they are at that age anyway".

I was torn between wanting to experience it, and not wanting to grow up, at the same time. I feel like I've always been this way, even now. I guess it's like trying to go in two opposite directions at once. Maybe that's it, I don't know. For some reason I've had a very hard time figuring out how to be someone that someone would want to "click" with, at any age.

iseestars said:
It weights heavy on me; the fear of becoming cold-hearted and a non-believer in beautiful things. I miss my old self. I wonder what happened to me. I thought time would make me wiser, not colder. I wish I could smile now, but I can't. Not tonight... Smiling can't save me this time..

Also, just wanted to say I feel this too.

Rodent said:
It's not that young and lasting love doesn't happen, but it seems to be very much a coin toss. A 50/50 chance of it lasting at all, let alone a significant number of years. Teenage years are tumultuous and so are the following years t when people truly grow into their future selves and understand what they want from life. A lot of that love is as true as it is merely "in the moment". My experiences have also made me a cynic so I'd say that oftentimes there's very little difference between innocence and naivety in these times.

The lives of teenagers are different. They're still in school, they don't have too many things on their minds (except for hormones) and the parents still manage a big portion of their lives, at least the boring parts if they're lucky. Adult life is different - a lot of routine, boring stuff and many responsibilities that all have to be focused on and then on top of that you deal with matters of love, family and the expectations you and your potential partner have.

It's okay to feel jaded because things didn't work out for you when you see the happiness of others - it's not like you are actively badmouthing their situation. You're just a different person with different experiences, perhaps also different aspirations. It's fine as long as you are aware of that.

I don't think I only feel jaded. I feel envy. And that's bad. I'm trying to find a way to get rid of that feeling.

TheSkaFish said:
I didn't experience young love, but when I was younger I was OK with it because I thought to myself, "it probably won't last, no one knows who they are at that age anyway".

I was torn between wanting to experience it, and not wanting to grow up, at the same time.  I feel like I've always been this way, even now.  I guess it's like trying to go in two opposite directions at once.  Maybe that's it, I don't know.  For some reason I've had a very hard time figuring out how to be someone that someone would want to "click" with, at any age.

iseestars said:
It weights heavy on me; the fear of becoming cold-hearted and a non-believer in beautiful things. I miss my old self. I wonder what happened to me. I thought time would make me wiser, not colder. I wish I could smile now, but I can't. Not tonight... Smiling can't save me this time..

Also, just wanted to say I feel this too.

I'm really sorry you feel that way too...

There's a big difference between missing out on awkward teenaged interactions that (usually) serve as little more than practice runs, and being completely dateless in your 20s (or 30s for that matter). The latter bothers me a great deal. Not sure I care about what lies ahead, assuming there's anything ahead. Sometimes life is just 'nothing'.

ardour said:
There's a big difference between missing out on awkward teenaged interactions that (usually) serve as little  more than practice runs, and being completely dateless in your 20s (or 30s for that matter). The latter bothers me a great deal. Not sure I care about what lies ahead, assuming there's anything ahead. Sometimes life is just 'nothing'.

I'm sorry you're going through rough times... All I can say is that things do get better with time. You just have to wait for better days. Sometimes it seems like there's no hope left, but there is. You just have to hold on tight and believe in better days. Sometimes believing is enough to make things better.

Latest posts

Back