Languages

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4No1

Out of order
Reaction score
How many languages do you speak?
Are there any you would like to learn?
Why do you learn them(if you do)?
Will the computer-translates be so good in a few years that we won't need to learn languages at all, only for fun? What do you think?

I can speak only russian and english and baby-level german(wich I learned at school).
I'd like to learn german or/and french but have a weak motivation. Just because it would be cool to speak them.
As for english I use it to get information (for a work for example) and for hanging on here ) 

I'm almost sure soon the automatic translation will displace the humans. 

P.S. Is there a search by treades subjects? I've found only by the words in posts.

I speak English, a little Spanish and curse words in several language. lol

At the top right, there is a search link. You can search by keywords in both posts and threads.

I am English-speaking, but I also speak French and a little bit of Spanish that I learned in college - I understand Spanish more than I can speak it. I always wanted to learn Italian and Gaelic actually, but lack the mental focus to follow through.

And like Callie, I know many curse words in a plethora of languages. :)

As a native English speaker, I can function pretty well in Spanish, but I also have workable knowledge of French, Japanese and Arabic. Learning languages does take quite a bit of focus, but exposure and repetition remain the best ways to learn and maintain.

It also helps to meet people who speak the language you want to learn. I have some friends who are native Spanish speakers and that probably helped me improve more than any textbook or online course. I'll never forget the conversation with one of them when he asked me to say "lust" and "lost" because he couldn't hear a difference between thosee words. So I suggested that he repeat "I lost my lust" to solidify it. He would then make suggestions in Spanish to me and I was able to ask him similar questions, etc.

Latest posts

Back