You are Amazing!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VidaLivesNow

Reaction score
Hey everyone! 

It's been a while since I posted but I'm happy to be back. 

I hope everyone reading this knows that you were put on tis earth for a reason and that you are wonderful and deserving of love. 

Here is an article that I found on 30 ways to practice self-love and be good to yourself. 

Number 14 really resonated with me. "Be patient but persistent." Self-love isn't always easy and takes practice. But it's a necessary journey. 

Sending positive vibes your way 

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/30-ways-practice-self-love-and-good-yourself.html

VidaLivesNow said:
Hey everyone! 

I hope everyone reading this knows that you were put on tis earth for a reason and that you are wonderful and deserving of love. 

Here is an article that I found on 30 ways to practice self-love and be good to yourself. 

Number 14 really resonated with me. "Be patient but persistent." Self-love isn't always easy and takes practice. But it's a necessary journey. 

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/30-ways-practice-self-love-and-good-yourself.html

I hate articles like this. Absolute waste of time. No collection of text in the world can make people "love themselves" if they've got deep seated depression and self hatred issues. Mumbo Jumbo.

Forgottendanfan said:
VidaLivesNow said:
Hey everyone! 

I hate articles like this. Absolute waste of time. No collection of text in the world can make people "love themselves" if they've got deep seated depression and self hatred issues. Mumbo Jumbo.

Of course a collection of text can't make you love yourself.  It actually requires putting effort in and DOING the honeysuckle it says.

Mumbo jumbo indeed.
I think you can modify and improve a lot about yourself but just as some are born with a natural gift of easier self-esteem and opinions of positivity around themselves, some are born as insecure and timid. Our surroundings, our upbringing and experiences can nurture or ruin but if you are at a disadvantage to begin with, it doesn't take much to make it impossible for someone to help themselves enough.
The thinking behind the whole "just put enough effort into it" isn't healthy at all. It sends of the feeling of it all being preventable somehow, that they haven't worked hard enough, just haven't tried enough things and are therefore at fault for their own issues. Like they hold the key but are too lazy to open the door. 
A lot are able to fix themselves to the point of not being held back by their own issues but there are also a lot that are never able to heal sufficiently and continues to suffer from it.

Thanks for the share, Vida! It's good to see you around!

I probably don't do too well with "self-love". I'll settle for "self-value". Either way, it's something I know that I will probably have to work at for the rest of my life. There's still a lot of bad days, but they don't feel like tragedies anymore. I'm grateful for that.

TheRealCallie said:
Forgottendanfan said:
VidaLivesNow said:
Hey everyone! 

Of course a collection of text can't make you love yourself.  It actually requires putting effort in and DOING the honeysuckle it says.

Easier said than done if you can barely drag yourself out of bed some dsys.

Forgottendanfan said:
TheRealCallie said:
Forgottendanfan said:
VidaLivesNow said:
Hey everyone! 

Easier said than done if you can barely drag yourself out of bed some dsys.

Yes, it is easier said than done, but at some point, you have to decide to say fresia it and do it anyway. Force yourself out of bed because the only thing that bed is doing for you is making it worse.

Forgottendanfan said:
Easier said than done if you can barely drag yourself out of bed some days.

One thing that might help is making sure you get enough sleep the night before, by going to bed on time. The difference I feel in the morning between getting enough sleep and not, is huge.

I don't mean to sound patronizing by saying that either, as it's something I'm working on myself, and while it seems obvious, it's also easy to overlook.

I'm also trying to make sure I get enough water in every day.

My understanding is that no one thing will turn your life around, but maybe all the little things working together can. I don't know. It's hard for me to maintain an optimistic outlook too. I wouldn't even say I'm feeling optimistic right now either. Just trying to be more functional.

Someday I'll have to rewrite an article like that to get the annoying lingo out - which is bothering me more than anything else. Especially because narcissists adapt the same tone so easily.

VidaLivesNow said:

iu

Whenever I read articles pertaining to the topic of self love, this quote comes to mind. 
Edit: not trying to be a downer by the way. I think everyone should try to love themselves it's just that I find it more or less impossible to, considering the life I've lived and trying to fool myself sounds quite stupid
1577983-Bruce-D-Perry-Quote-The-truth-is-you-cannot-love-yourself-unless.jpg

Invisibleguy said:
Whenever I read articles pertaining to the topic of self love, this quote comes to mind. 
Edit: not trying to be a downer by the way. I think everyone should try to love themselves it's just that I find it more or less impossible to, considering the life I've lived and trying to fool myself sounds quite stupid
1577983-Bruce-D-Perry-Quote-The-truth-is-you-cannot-love-yourself-unless.jpg

I agree with this to an extent. I don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE for self love to be cultivated from within, but I would say it's certainly much easier if you've been shown affection from others.

VidaLivesNow, your referenced article may be encouraging for some, but understand that it's a secular message, and in my view, a misguided one. Let me explain from a Christian perspective.

We are all unique, valuable, and special all right - because we were created by God, in his image, for a purpose.

We are also all loved - by our Creator, God, more than by anyone else.

The article's implied prescription for success in life is "about getting in touch with ourselves, our well-being and our happiness."  It says that "the most important person in your life (is) — YOU."

I  couldn't disagree more.  We were created for a purpose: to know and love God more each day, and to learn how to love others.  Life is about these relationships, and that entails focusing our love and attention towards Jesus and others, not ourselves.  If we do this, we should feel no need to prove ourselves, or to love ourselves more.

Our sense of self worth can be influenced by our feelings, but our feelings are often wrong.  Our true self worth has already been established by God before we were even born. Nothing will ever change that.

Sir Joseph said:
VidaLivesNow, your referenced article may be encouraging for some, but understand that it's a secular message, and in my view, a misguided one. Let me explain from a Christian perspective.

We are all unique, valuable, and special all right - because we were created by God, in his image, for a purpose.

We are also all loved - by our Creator, God, more than by anyone else.

The article's implied prescription for success in life is "about getting in touch with ourselves, our well-being and our happiness."  It says that "the most important person in your life (is) — YOU."

I  couldn't disagree more.  We were created for a purpose: to know and love God more each day, and to learn how to love others.  Life is about these relationships, and that entails focusing our love and attention towards Jesus and others, not ourselves.  If we do this, we should feel no need to prove ourselves, or to love ourselves more.

Our sense of self worth can be influenced by our feelings, but our feelings are often wrong.  Our true self worth has already been established by God before we were even born. Nothing will ever change that.

This isn't the place to push a religious agenda. Pipe down.

^There are people here who appreciate his views, just as people appreciate yours.

Abstamyous said:
^There are people here who appreciate his views, just as people appreciate yours.

I believe this forum should be apolitical and certainly areligious.

Forgottendanfan said:
Abstamyous said:

But it's not your forum, so you don't make the rules.....

I personally thought the post was a bit more preachy than his posts usually are, but you could always just ignore the post or block him if you don't like it.

Forgottendanfan said:
Abstamyous said:

It's neither. Religious debate is merely not permitted, but that's irrelevant. People have the right to say whatever nonsense they wish to say based on on their beliefs, within limitations set by the administration. You have the right to counter a perspective you don't like, but everyone is entitled to their own.

Rodent said:
Forgottendanfan said:
Abstamyous said:

It's neither. Religious debate is merely not permitted, but that's irrelevant. People have the right to say whatever nonsense they wish to say based on on their beliefs, within limitations set by the administration. You have the right to counter a perspective you don't like, but everyone is entitled to their own.

Wouldn't that make it a debate, thereby breaking the limitations set by said admin?

Latest posts

Back