Asians are great too!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is blaming Chinese for the pandemic? Or hating on Asians for being model minorities? Or is it just the fact more Asians own convenience stores?

I think it's the first one, but the consequence is usually that anyone who is perceived as broadly Asian will have to deal with increased harassment. It's been about a year since that phenomenon became more visible with the pandemic, so it is somewhat of an anniversary too. But I just heard about that aforementioned story too which should also be a reason: 8 Dead in Atlanta Spa Shootings, With Fears of Anti-Asian Bias

Forgottendanfan said:
Finished said:
Blame the leadership if you need too, not the people. Just wanted to get that out there.

Who's saying they're not great?

Well...racists and the people that cannot separate people from leadership. Or individuals from dominant culture.

I mean is there even any solid evidence that the shooting was racially motivated or done out of spite? I thought the perpetrator done it because he was a sex addict or something like that? At least that was the narrative on most outlets back when it first happened

Invisibleguy said:
I mean is there even any solid evidence that the shooting was racially motivated or done out of spite? I thought the perpetrator done it because he was a sex addict or something like that? At least that was the narrative on most outlets back when it first happened

I haven't seen that so far either, at least not in the articles I was reading. The employees of those massage parlors were predominantly Asian - and I don't know if Asians run more massage parlors overall, but ones in question certainly were -  so it seems coincidental to the perp's rampage. Regardless, I think some will interpret it based on the consequences of the crime and not the motive or intent of the killer because the situation is still heated and there have been more incidents during the pandemic.

Invisibleguy said:

The local police are saying it is NOT racially motivated. They basically said he shot them because they made it too easy for him to continue his sex addiction. But, many media sources are trying to make it racial motivated because it's a better story and makes them more money. People prefer to listen to crap media because it's right in front of them and they are too lazy to find more reliable news sources.

Asians have been abused quite a bit for things our of their control. Enough is enough. Hell we even locked up Japanese Americans in internment camps in WWII. That was horrible that we did that. Many lost everything they had. Now people are trying to blame Chinese, and other Asians, for starting and spreading Covid-19. But, China leadership was at fault. Not their people and not American Asians.

The United States has a very long history of Asian discrimination. I visited Angel Island in San Fransisco a few years ago, which still has writing on the walls from its former occupants. The "Chinese Exclusion Act" of 1882 greatly limited Asian immigration after a waves of outcry on the West Coast in the late 19th century over perceived job losses to cheap Asian labor (I don't know if there was ever any data to support the claims). The sad circumstances of WWII were already mentioned. None of this is new, but Covid and the recent rhetoric of some people have just opened old wounds wider. The increasingly growing tensions with China will not help anything, unfortunately.

But I agree that Asians are great. I've known people from Japan, China, Vietnam, Korea and Thailand. They were good friends.

Latest posts

Back