Does anyone fancy doing it.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Games

Reaction score
I saw this thread on another forum.It's called A. M A...Ask me anything.I don't mind.It doesn't have to be structured you can dip in anytime with your own A.M.A,no worries about interrupting. 
I'll start just in case no one else wants to but would be great if you could take part .

I'm Epileptic A.M.A :)

Thanks for the question Forgottendanfan.I suppose the answer is not a great deal.I've just started driving again because they took my license away for a year to make sure I didn't have any more seizures before I'm let loose on the roads with a lethal weapon that a car could obviously be.I'm taking medication for it now and problems with sleeping can be a pain including really vivid dreams that wake me in the night but I'm grateful I'm not on the most delibilating end of the spectrum for epilepsy. It can be a real nightmare for some incorporating constant seizures including at night which can really affect your way of life I can only imagine how upsetting that can be..My heart goes out to the kids that have it being a father and for the parents it must be a constant fear that a serious seizure could happen at any time and just seeing the less extreme episodes of epilepsy must be a real worry for them.
I've changed a few things in my life that can lead to triggers the most important being trying to reduce the stress that I suffered before I had my first Grand mal seizure.Also I've stopped drinking which is great being another trigger which can cause seizures.I get forgetful like with names sometimes and I eat proper meals not skipping with Mars bars anymore because I've heard this is very important .But I'm relieved I've been given the ok to drive again because it is essential to my job and I did miss it being a petrol head aswell.So upshot is I'm very lucky that it hasn't made a great deal of difference to my daily life .If your interested forum 4E is very instructive about the disability. It affects millions of people world wide especially the young and the older in society and is very useful in case a friend suffers from it or god forbid if any of yourselves start displaying symptoms because believe me there are quite a few.
Thanks again.

Good question. No , looked up Grand Mal seizures ,drinking can cause seizures,didn't want my wife and kids to see me like that again , gave up drinking,don't miss it atall.So I suppose it was a minor change but instantaneous but I wasn't a big drinker maybe once or twice a week.

How about yourself have you an AMA?

Also thanks for taking part,without yourself it wouldn't be happening. I'm sure Finished would have helped us out..hope he's back soon from his adventures.

You're very welcome. I might have more questions to come.

I guess I could start my own A.M.A. , but there doesn't seem much point if there's only going to be one participant.

Hi ,thanks for the question. I'm early 50's ,from being diagnosed to now it's been a year.I haven't had any more seizures or other less dramatic signs of epilepsy since then and I'm on the lowest dose of medication you can have so I'm lucky.Even daja vue is another sign I've learnt recently which I've experienced alot over the years .Babies can now be diagnosed, yes that early, and a new App that enables doctors to see early signs and help with early treatment has been recently developed because it has led to learning difficulties in the past with late diagnosis. Strange spasms and weird movements are recognised as a possible early sign.So any age you can be diagnosed but as before more in the young and older in age.Thanks again for taking part.

Hopefully someone else will AMA..go on we don't bite :)

Just Games said:
Hi ,thanks for the question. I'm early 50's ,from being diagnosed to now it's been a year.I haven't had any more seizures or other less dramatic signs of epilepsy since then and I'm on the lowest dose of medication you can have so I'm lucky.Even daja vue is another sign I've learnt recently which I've experienced alot over the years .Babies can now be diagnosed, yes that early, and a new App that enables doctors to see early signs and help with early treatment has been recently developed because it has led to learning difficulties in the past with late diagnosis. Strange spasms and weird movements are recognised as a possible early sign.So any age you can be diagnosed but as before more in the young and older in age.Thanks again for taking part.

Oh, didn't know that it can't be diagnosed in adult age. Thanks for sharing.
Do you use any 'supervision" App if there are any? Do you take a note(or smth with your diagnosis and contacts of your family) with you in case you have a seizure? I've read about such notes.

P.S. I'm sorry I'm not sure how AMA works. Like "I'm from Russia, A.M.A."?
If so I can join )

Interesting. I just finished reading a book that mentioned that President McKinley's wife had epilepsy and he went out of his way to care for her even while he was in office.

How did you find out that you have epilepsy? I'm guessing that you have no memory of the seizures?

ewomack said:
Interesting. I just finished reading a book that mentioned that President McKinley's wife had epilepsy and he went out of his way to care for her even while he was in office.

How did you find out that you have epilepsy? I'm guessing that you have no memory of the seizures?

Yes long term marriage I could write alot on how important your wife is to you...just as important as running the country in his case.It was the Doctor at hospital after I collapsed and went into a confusion episode.No I only remember a confusion episode way before the above, whilst driving before I was diagnosed when I was luckily with my wife driving.She took me home that really was a weird morning we put it down to over doing it ,lack of sleep at the time..before I was diagnosed.My wife told me about the other episodes,collapsing, eyes rolling back ,arm shakes,being sick..all lovely stuff really upsetting for her she hates talking about it.

4No1 said:
Just Games said:

Oh, didn't know that it can't be diagnosed in adult age. Thanks for sharing.
Do you use any 'supervision" App if there are any? Do you take a note(or smth with your diagnosis and contacts of your family) with you in case you have a seizure? I've read about such notes.

P.S. I'm sorry I'm not sure how AMA works. Like "I'm from Russia, A.M.A."?
If so I can join )

Yes can be diagnosed anytime. No just looked it up thanks .Have thought about a wrist band,must get round to that.
I've found a note of factors that trigger seizures which I researched when first diagnosed. Fatigue,fever,flashing lights,intense activity,loud noises,low blood sugar,stress,strong emotions, e.g anger or anxiety and reactions to medication. Even at my age I do alot of intense stuff and I haven't taken my sport bike out yet which I love riding at speed on quiet roads so am a bit freaked out about this now.

Great you from really interesting country,my son visited with school thought it was great.Read on another thread you not want to be recognized so hope these questions ok.
What is your favourite Russian food and drink exclusive to your country? Do you live rural or city?Where would you like to live or do you like your home town?Did your parents tell you about the history of your family?Is it cold all year where you are?

Thanks.

Just Games said:
Read on another thread you not want to be recognized so hope these questions ok.
What is your favourite Russian food and drink exclusive to your country? Do you live rural or city?Where would you like to live or do you like your home town?Did your parents tell you about the history of your family?Is it cold all year where you are?
Thanks.

I really doubt here can by anyone who knows me in real life, but even if so, I live in the city and no chances for me to be recognized :)
I live in St,Petersburg(>5mln people), 2nd city in the Russia and 3rd in Europe(after Moscow and London).
No, not really cold but unpredictable and rainy. The coldest month is February it can be(records) to -30C(-22F) and the warmest is July/August it can be to +35C(94F). But it can also be +10C(50F) both in the winter and in the summer.

I'd like to live somewere with a better climate and not in so big city, I prefer smth more calm and green. But ithe sitution in russian small towns is not good, they're poor. I'd like to live in other country ) Somewhere in Europe near the sea.

My parents didn't tell me a lot as they don't know. Like my great-great-grandeparents just appeared ones. Some stories are lost during the WWII and some after the revolution.

Latest posts

Back