My Long time addiction has rendered me Hopeless

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suman.1407

Reaction score
I’m a 35 year old guy and in spite of what my addiction has done,I haven’t been able to quit my bad habit. I have forayed into such a forum for the firs time and hope for some positive changes. I just need some advice and guidance from people who came over their vices. I’ve reached a stage where I can’t embarrass myself anymore. I hv come here with immense expectations and hope it brings some sort of socialization.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find some peace in joining here. I have found lots throughout the stages of my own addiction.

Welcome to the forum suman.1407.  I look for opportunities here to help or encourage others struggling with life by providing a Christian perspective on things.  I wanted to reference a good addict/recovery success story video that you might be able to relate to, but can't really do that effectively without knowing a bit more about your history and situation.  Feel free to open up a bit more here or with a pm to me if you're genuninely receptive to seeking guidance.  I think you'll find everyone here very supportive.

Sir Joseph said:
Welcome to the forum suman.1407.  I look for opportunities here to help or encourage others struggling with life by providing a Christian perspective on things.  I wanted to reference a good addict/recovery success story video that you might be able to relate to, but can't really do that effectively without knowing a bit more about your history and situation.  Feel free to open up a bit more here or with a pm to me if you're genuninely receptive to seeking guidance.  I think you'll find everyone here very supportive.

Don't use the fact O.P. has an addiction problem to bombard him/her with Christian propaganda and try and get them to "see the light".

Yes, it does all depend on what the addiction involves, but the book "The Addictive Personality" by Craig Nakken says a lot of revealing things about the whys and hows behind many addictions. I've had some addictions in the past that didn't really interfere with my life as a whole, but I found them annoying so I did some research. As I said, mine were minor and more annoying than destructive but perhaps many addictions come from similar sources?

Welcome to the forum. There are many ways for you to go about stopping your addiction, regardless of what it is and you don't have to share that if you don't want to. All you have to do is give them a try. And yes, there are Christian methods that work for a lot of people, so I wouldn't necessarily rule them out, whether you are religious or not. Take advice from anyone and everyone that offers it because if you don't see all of your options, you'll struggle to find methods to try. You never know what will work for you.

That said, the first step is admitting you have a problem, now just make a personal goal of getting it under control and then stopping it entirely, so it's great that you have done that and want to get away from it.

Feel free to check out the chat room, if you're interested :)

In my case I had to admit that I couldn't control my addiction. I hated that. But, I couldn't stop until I admitted it to myself. Once I fully understood that it took several attempts to completely stop. Then whenever I felt the urge I would scream inside NO! I would get angry about it too! Anger is a strong emotion and very helpful when used for good purposes. If I was tempted I would say NO! After awhile it became easier and easier to say NO! It took many years before my cravings disappeared. But, if/when tempted again I still say NO. It's just way easier now.

In my case I had to admit that I couldn't control my addiction. I hated that. But, I couldn't stop until I admitted it to myself. Once I fully understood that it took several attempts to completely stop. Then whenever I felt the urge I would scream inside NO! I would get angry about it too! Anger is a strong emotion and very helpful when used for good purposes. If I was tempted I would say NO! After awhile it became easier and easier to say NO! It took many years before my cravings disappeared. But, if/when tempted again I still say NO. It's just way easier now.
Thank you for sharing your personal story of addiction. It really helps when someone shares his/her personal journey of overcoming addiction.

Welcome to the forum. There are many ways for you to go about stopping your addiction, regardless of what it is and you don't have to share that if you don't want to. All you have to do is give them a try. And yes, there are Christian methods that work for a lot of people, so I wouldn't necessarily rule them out, whether you are religious or not. Take advice from anyone and everyone that offers it because if you don't see all of your options, you'll struggle to find methods to try. You never know what will work for you.

That said, the first step is admitting you have a problem, now just make a personal goal of getting it under control and then stopping it entirely, so it's great that you have done that and want to get away from it.

Feel free to check out the chat room, if you're interested :)
I never thought I'll be welcomed here because of my past experiences on forums & those experiences left me with zero expectations of finding help here. The fact that 7 people responded means a lot to me.
Hope to find like minded people who don't judge an addict.
Looking forward to finding support here.
Thank You 😊

Yes, it does all depend on what the addiction involves, but the book "The Addictive Personality" by Craig Nakken says a lot of revealing things about the whys and hows behind many addictions. I've had some addictions in the past that didn't really interfere with my life as a whole, but I found them annoying so I did some research. As I said, mine were minor and more annoying than destructive but perhaps many addictions come from similar sources?
The book you mentioned was one of the very first books I read during the initial years of my struggles. It didn't help & it became one of those SELF-HELP books that i never found any help in or connect to.
Anyways thank you for writing back & for your encouragement. Really appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum suman.1407. I look for opportunities here to help or encourage others struggling with life by providing a Christian perspective on things. I wanted to reference a good addict/recovery success story video that you might be able to relate to, but can't really do that effectively without knowing a bit more about your history and situation. Feel free to open up a bit more here or with a pm to me if you're genuninely receptive to seeking guidance. I think you'll find everyone here very supportive.
Sir Joseph thank you for opening the door to welcoming me,I believe in the Son Of God & learnt a lot about Christianity from historical point of view but never thought of seeking Christ to fight my addiction.
Thank You for offering me your advice.

In my case I had to admit that I couldn't control my addiction. I hated that. But, I couldn't stop until I admitted it to myself. Once I fully understood that it took several attempts to completely stop. Then whenever I felt the urge I would scream inside NO! I would get angry about it too! Anger is a strong emotion and very helpful when used for good purposes. If I was tempted I would say NO! After awhile it became easier and easier to say NO! It took many years before my cravings disappeared. But, if/when tempted again I still say NO. It's just way easier now.
Don't use the fact O.P. has an addiction problem to bombard him/her with Christian propaganda and try and get them to "see the light".
Sir I'm seeking guidance to make changes in my life and I'm well versed with major Religions & the fundamental teachings of Islam,Christianity and of course my own personal faith.
Years of personal research & readings helped me in understanding their ideologies.
The kind of world we live in today is directly linked to religion so it has always fascinated me.
An anonymous person offering advice is more encouraging & I really appreciate if someone offers to guide me.
Thank You for your kind words.

I would like to help you. But, I'm not sure if I can. All that I know is that I have an addictive personality. If it is fun, exciting, enjoyable, or makes me feel good then that is all that I want to do all the time. Where the average person stops and feels good about doing something, I just keep going and going and going.

Then I need to do whatever it is all the time. I have been addicted to many things in my lifetime. Luckily I always knew better then to start taking drugs other then alchol. I don't know if I could ever stop due to their high addictions. For me the only thing that has been successful is to stop doing anything that is fun, exciting, enjoyable, or makes me feel good so I do not get addicted to it. So, instead I have chosen to also rid my life of things I don't like or don't want to do. It makes me very stable. But, it also sucks. My life kind of blaaaaa.

So, I do not recommend doing what I have done. It sort of works for me. But, it would be much better to be able to beat your addiction. And then be able to enjoy healthy things in a modest amount.

Suman.1407, your personal responses themselves are appreciated, since many people here post but don't reply to any of the responses. You've realized quickly and correctly though that anyone's welcome here despite their character flaws or current struggles in life.

The point I was making before was that no one can give you worthwhile advice or any useful, targeted encouragement if they don't know what the addiction issue is. You needn't reveal it of course, but understand that from our view it could be drugs, alcohol, food, smoking, sex, gambling, exercise, or a host of other issues. Thus, the conversation will probably fade until you want to reveal more - which you can do later in a separate post when and if you wish.

Meanwhile, know that people change their lives AFTER accepting Jesus into their heart. It's a result, not a precursor. There are many on-line video testimonies demonstrating this, but finding the encouraging ones depends on finding the applicable ones. If you're interested, you might do a YouTube search for 700 Club addiction testimonies. I haven't screened these myself to sort out the best ones, but I suspect some are pretty powerful messages. Personally, I think that hearing from others who have overcome problems we're facing is worthwhile encouragement and mentoring support.

Suman.1407, your personal responses themselves are appreciated, since many people here post but don't reply to any of the responses. You've realized quickly and correctly though that anyone's welcome here despite their character flaws or current struggles in life.

The point I was making before was that no one can give you worthwhile advice or any useful, targeted encouragement if they don't know what the addiction issue is. You needn't reveal it of course, but understand that from our view it could be drugs, alcohol, food, smoking, sex, gambling, exercise, or a host of other issues. Thus, the conversation will probably fade until you want to reveal more - which you can do later in a separate post when and if you wish.

Meanwhile, know that people change their lives AFTER accepting Jesus into their heart. It's a result, not a precursor. There are many on-line video testimonies demonstrating this, but finding the encouraging ones depends on finding the applicable ones. If you're interested, you might do a YouTube search for 700 Club addiction testimonies. I haven't screened these myself to sort out the best ones, but I suspect some are pretty powerful messages. Personally, I think that hearing from others who have overcome problems we're facing is worthwhile encouragement and mentoring support.
Sorry for the late response but I guess you know the lifestyle of people who can never be expected of consistency.
I'll try to follow your advice,Im aware of these sessions of solidarity shared by the followers of Christ. Hopefullt it helps this time.

Latest posts

Back