The Happy Brain

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarDust

Life is a journey, not a destination 😉
Reaction score
Reading “The Book of Joy” by Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu, I would like to share this passage about research by Richard Davidson, a neuroscientist, who developed this theory of the happy brain. 

There are four independent brain circuits that influence out lasting well-being, Davidson explained.  The first is “our ability to maintain positive states. “  It makes sense that the ability to maintain positive states or positive emotions would directly impact one’s ability to experience happiness.

The second circuit is responsible for “our ability to recover from negative states.”

The third circuit is “our ability to focus and avoid mind-wondering.”  This of course was the circuit that so much of the meditation exists to develop.  Whether it was focusing on one’s breath, or a mantra, or the analytic meditation that the Dalai Lama did each morning.

The forth and final circuit is “our ability to be generous.” 

What I liked about this is that it gave the reader four areas consider when searching for that “happiness’ and how we can help ourselves.  For example, for myself, I work hard to maintain positive states.    When I falling into a negative state, it is important to recover from that in a timely manner…    something I been working on - and it is stressed here the importance of recovering from negative states.

It was just so nice to have this put in words when I read it  -

Reading this book is a positive experience for me, so I thought I would post under this thread.

Happy Friday Everyone.

StarDust said:
Reading “The Book of Joy” by Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu, I would like to share this passage about research by Richard Davidson, a neuroscientist, who developed this theory of the happy brain. 

There are four independent brain circuits that influence out lasting well-being, Davidson explained.  The first is “our ability to maintain positive states. “  It makes sense that the ability to maintain positive states or positive emotions would directly impact one’s ability to experience happiness.

The second circuit is responsible for “our ability to recover from negative states.”

The third circuit is “our ability to focus and avoid mind-wondering.”  This of course was the circuit that so much of the meditation exists to develop.  Whether it was focusing on one’s breath, or a mantra, or the analytic meditation that the Dalai Lama did each morning.

The forth and final circuit is “our ability to be generous.” 

What I liked about this is that it gave the reader four areas consider when searching for that “happiness’ and how we can help ourselves.  For example, for myself, I work hard to maintain positive states.    When I falling into a negative state, it is important to recover from that in a timely manner…    something I been working on - and it is stressed here the importance of recovering from negative states.

It was just so nice to have this put in words when I read it  -

Reading this book is a positive experience for me, so I thought I would post under this thread.

Happy Friday Everyone.

I love this idea! Really nice way to put it and understand the search for happiness, think i struggle most with circuit 3. will give it a read!  :)

Latest posts

Back