Cry real hard, then wipe your tears, and hold your head high

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amy

Reaction score
I have dealt with social anxiety for most of my life. I maybe haven't dealt with the extent of anxiety that a lot of people have, but believe me it's been the most difficult part of my life by far. I still haven't overcome it, although it's gotten better since its peak in junior high. I'd say I've had tough times. And I'm lucky because I come from a supportive, close family, and my best friends in the world are my mom and my boyfriend.

There have been days when I feel like the world is a terrible place, and I am afraid that if I died tomorrow, I wouldn't have lived the life I would want for myself because of anxiety. I was thinking that today, actually. It is a rare event that I feel completely at ease around people who are not my two best friends.

Sometimes life is really, really hard, and you are dealt all the wrong cards, and stuck in a situation where things are truly unfair to you, and you feel truly and utterly helpless and alone. There are times when you need to feel all those feelings in their full weight, put down your guard, and cry until you've exhausted yourself. Crying (not cutting, not drugs, not crime) is the healthy, natural way to deal with overwhelming emotion. Crying on someone's shoulder is even better (even if you aren't close to them emotionally, you'll feel better and be closer to them afterwards). But then, after you've let your tears out, you have to take a step toward fixing your problem. You have to do some research to figure out what the problem is, and who can help you. Counseling is something I've decided to try. My university has a free counseling service with an intern at the health center, so I'm gonna try to improve my anxiety that way. It might not work, or it might, but it's worth a try.

If you've ever been in an airplane you know that one person is next to nothing on this earth, so whatever problems you have are also tiny with respect to the earth, even though they may be all-encompassing in your mind. While you are, of course, important, you are also one in billions of other important people, whether you like to think about it or not. Try to do some kind thing for someone today, then say "you're welcome" when they thank you, notice the gratitude in their eyes, and see if that makes you feel less alone.

I'm twenty years old, still young, and I haven't seen the whole world, so most likely my advice won't help everyone. But if you need someone to talk to, shoot me a message, and I'll try to help.

Thank you Amy
Welcome to the forum

Hello Amy. Welcome to the forum. :)

I read your advice. Crying does help to relieve some of the pressure one may be feeling. Good advice.

Latest posts

Back