Am i to blame for my depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squall1988

Reaction score
Is it my fault? I am the master of my own body but am i the master of my own mind?

Ive had quite a life(being that im only twenty years old) With many downs and well a few ups. Ive always been sad or depressed in some way for as long as i can remember, going thru phases of expression it and bottling it up inside. I can look back at events in my life and see where i know i made the right choice but why doesn't it feal right? I don't drink, i don't smoke, and i don't use drugs- is that not enough to be happy?

Geez maybe i shouldn't post deep reflection of a tired mind but maybe that's why im here.

Do you think that we are to blame for our own depressions?

Squall1988 said:
Do you think that we are to blame for our own depressions?

No not at all.

There are certain drugs that can be abused that can cause a depressed state. Things along that line but depression in general, no we did not cause it, we did not chose it. It would be easier to blame ourselves for having a cold or some other disorder.

I don't think anyone would chose to feel that bad. I think what happens with a lot of ppl from reading posts on here is they get used to the feeling and it makes them feel save. If your feeling as crap as you can be then at least you can not feel any worse. So ppl sometimes don't bring them self out of it cos they think there is no point.

I think like most illnesses depression takes you by surprise. You don't know you have it. It just slaps you round the face one night. When you do release your depressed its then up to you to do something about it. i.e Go see your doctor and start talking to ppl. If you do nothing about it then its not liable to go away. Things in your life only normally change when you make them change.

Depression is definitely not your fault. It's an illness and not personal failure. Blaming yourself will make you self-destructive. I know it all too well and I'm trying to lift myself out of it. It sounds like this has been going on for a long time in your life. Please get some help and talk to someone, because sometimes these negative feelings can be so overwhelming that you can't solve it by yourself.

While it's true that depression is an illness, it's not as though you catch it like an airborne disease. Feeling sad and disappointed with yourself are symptoms of depression- but feeling them doesn't necessarily qualify you as depressed.

If you are feeling sad and whatnot, and you feed into those feelings and make your condition worse- i.e., actually develop depression, then you are to blame. In other words, if you're feeling sad, and you deliberately sit around the house, do nothing, push away your friends, and engage in other kinds of destructive behavior, then you may in fact be at fault for your own depression. After all, if you do nothing, then you are simply letting it happen.

That said, it's a fine line. You can be depressed without having anything to do with making yourself so. However, it's important to understand that while you might not choose to be sad, you can choose how to help yourself out of it (in the sense that people's feelings generally fluctuate) or you can choose to make it worse (snuggle up with depression and her listless friends pessimism and self-loathing).

I would certainly think not. There are just things in our life that happen, and a lot of the times we just can't control how we feel. Maybe with some time, the feeling will subside.

One of the best ways to be happy is to be thanksful for everything.

Depression is a choice that is oftenly influenced because of the actions of others.

Latest posts

Back