Depressed birthday

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
I didn't celebrate my birthday this year, but I got depressed anyway.

In trying to analyse why I hate birthdays so much, I've stumbled across a lot of things that are wrong with my life.

All of these are characterised by my fear of dismay. Not disappointment, but dismay: that I will be rejected, or underwhelmed, or hurt by committing myself. Why am I not a good writer? Because I avoid things that will make me realise my limitations.

"To make a dove, you must first wring its neck."

Pablo Picasso said that. Although he was talking about art, I can't help but feel that life could be described in the same terms - that we grow by destroying parts of ourselves. Yet I am afraid of compromising myself, and this takes the form of a sort of extreme pessimism that I justify by saying that I am never disappointed by anything. Which is really like saying 'I have no garden, so I will never see a flower die.'

It is my love of these flowers - that I never let grow within me - that inhibits me: because I am secretly more of an optimist than almost anyone else I know. I didn't let anyone celebrate my birthday because I would be dismayed by the reaction - what if not enough people came to my party? My hopes are always crushed, so I commit less and less of myself as I grow older, and in doing so doom each of my ventures - into love, into art - to an ever more impressive failure.

I'm going to force myself to make more friends, because I love people and pretend not to, and because I want them to love me and so reject them constantly. I turned twenty-one years old a few days ago. Things must start now.

darkwall said:
I didn't celebrate my birthday this year, but I got depressed anyway.

In trying to analyse why I hate birthdays so much, I've stumbled across a lot of things that are wrong with my life.

All of these are characterised by my fear of dismay. Not disappointment, but dismay: that I will be rejected, or underwhelmed, or hurt by committing myself. Why am I not a good writer? Because I avoid things that will make me realise my limitations.

"To make a dove, you must first wring its neck."

Pablo Picasso said that. Although he was talking about art, I can't help but feel that life could be described in the same terms - that we grow by destroying parts of ourselves. Yet I am afraid of compromising myself, and this takes the form of a sort of extreme pessimism that I justify by saying that I am never disappointed by anything. Which is really like saying 'I have no garden, so I will never see a flower die.'

It is my love of these flowers - that I never let grow within me - that inhibits me: because I am secretly more of an optimist than almost anyone else I know. I didn't let anyone celebrate my birthday because I would be dismayed by the reaction - what if not enough people came to my party? My hopes are always crushed, so I commit less and less of myself as I grow older, and in doing so doom each of my ventures - into love, into art - to an ever more impressive failure.

I'm going to force myself to make more friends, because I love people and pretend not to, and because I want them to love me and so reject them constantly. I turned twenty-one years old a few days ago. Things must start now.

Continued to love constantly.Love others even when they do not love you.Do not force yourself to make friends.Making friends are good,but making good friends are better.

Meet my pussycat on the left.xD

I know how you feel. This year I turned 21, and although a few people came out with me I realized as we sat in the bar I didn't have anything in common with any of them anymore (they were mostly acquaintances from freshman year). But never let your loneliness turn you bitter or breed malice towards others. You would be surprised at how much a simple act of friendliness - making a joke to a stranger, commenting on a book someone is reading - can make you and your interlocutor feel better. And don't give up on writing; it requires a lot of work, but if you want to be a writer, keep working at it. It will happen.

darkwall said:
Yet I am afraid of compromising myself, and this takes the form of a sort of extreme pessimism that I justify by saying that I am never disappointed by anything. Which is really like saying 'I have no garden, so I will never see a flower die.'

I've said something like that for years.
"An optimist is too easily disappointed. I can only be pleasantly surprised."

darkwall said:
I didn't let anyone celebrate my birthday because I would be dismayed by the reaction - what if not enough people came to my party?

You actually have people show up?

When I was a kid the only "party" we ever had for birthdays was my parents, my 2 little brothers and myself and a store bought cake. If my parents were in a good mood we might go to a Golden Corral restaurant. (Look it up if you don't know what it is. Not the kind of place a kid wants to go to for his b-day.) I didn't try having a party to celebrate my birthday until I turned 30. I was in a graphics art class back in DFW which consisted of other people near my age. (Night class) I had made what I thought were some good friends there so I invited them. Most of them said they'd come. I had everything ready and perfect. Spent days getting it right.

Not one person showed up.

Fast forward to the last couple years. I moved in with "her" in 2005. '06 was good. But then the last two years even she forgot my birthday. I kept my mouth shut because I didn't want her to feel bad. She was reminded by some mutual online friends in the forum we met in when they posted a "happy birthday" thread.

If you're doing better than that...if people actually remember your birthday and show up when you want to celebrate...even if it's just one person......well you get what I'm saying.

For what it's worth - HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

First of all,

Happy Birthday!

All of those things are very relevant fears, my friend. However, what we have to do in order to conquer them is to face them. It sounds like you have come to that conclusion already.

If we allow our fears to dominate our life, then we will never have a life worth living. That means if we are afraid of talking to people, then we just have to go out and do it. If we are afraid of rejection, then we have to put ourselves in position to get rejected. If we are afraid of not being liked, then we have to put ourselves out there in front of the world and be judged by it.

This is where forums like this come in! We are here to support you when you do fail. We are here to comfort you when your fears come to pass. We are here to help you face all of those things that keep you up at night.

As long as we let fear dictate to us what we can or can't do, then a greater part of life, and love, will forever be shut off to us.

I know this all to well, as I am afraid of many things, and these things I don't want to face. BUt I know I will never be able to move on, and to grow, unless I do face them.

ahh im feeling ya man. My last few birthdays sucked. Always alone and still out there up to no good. One b day i got set up and had a knife t my throat. Never had a good day. Keep ya head up

Hmm, my birthday's not too far away and I'll be lucky if I get congratulated by at least one person (other than my mother that is). But oh well, seriously, it's a day like any other, celebrating it only makes sense when you're a child really. Besides, I'm guilty in that I tend to forget others' birthdays too, I should really just set up a fragging reminder.

Latest posts

Back