Has anyone worked in a fancy restaurant?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyneco

Reaction score
How is it like? I normally go for fast-food restaurants or one of those unknown restaurants down the block because they seem less formal, less selective, and less intimidating, but I'm trying to do something different here.

How's the interview like? What's the best way to apply? Do you need to attach a resume to your application? Are they actually going to call the people on your reference list? (And if you have a 2-year gap, would it be a good idea to tell a couple little white lies?) etc. etc.

Thanks.

I work at a pretty fancy restaraunt, a Japanese Steakhouse.
Actually I got pretty lucky, the manager didn't interview me at all and I just had to fill out a few papers. I don't think they actually call people on youre reference list, usually, that is. I've been working there for 7 months now, making twice as much money as someone at my school that works at a fast food restaraunt makes. I find it a lot more relaxing too, that is unless the restaraunts busy. But, it's worth it. :)

gyneco said:
How is it like? I normally go for fast-food restaurants or one of those unknown restaurants down the block because they seem less formal, less selective, and less intimidating, but I'm trying to do something different here.

How's the interview like? What's the best way to apply? Do you need to attach a resume to your application? Are they actually going to call the people on your reference list? (And if you have a 2-year gap, would it be a good idea to tell a couple little white lies?) etc. etc.

Thanks.

NEVER lie on your resume'. When I was a hiring manager, I ALWAYS verified the information on an application/resume'. I know that some places don't, but you take a HUGE risk if you lie. Be prepared to explain the gap. Were you in school? Taking care of a sick parent/relative? There are a few times that you might get away with fibbing about the gap, such as taking care of a sick relative. That's something that isnt easliy verified, but don't do it if at all possible.
As for the interview, arrive a few minutes early. Be pleasant, even to the person who greets you before you talk to the manager. Have a care with your appearance. Even of you aren't normally an outgoing person, try to act that way. :p Especially since it's a restaurant. Managers want friendly people, who will keep the customers happy. If you are applying for a kitchen position, it's not quite as important, but it will still make you stand out. Make eye contact! This is very important. As for your references, sometimes they will be called and sometimes not, by why take the chance?
I hope this helps you. :)

I've never had any employer call any of my references from what I can tell.

You'd do well to invest in a suit. Or at least dress nice...you can't go wrong with a collar shirt, silk tie and some slacks. Don't forget some nicer shoes and socks to match. And just keep all of it really nice and in the closet, until those points in life where you need to look good. Then you can save up for a nice dress suit and you'll have the shirt, shoes, and tie to go with it :)

I got lucky...a friend of mine traded me a Men's Warehouse suit for some computer work and a RAM module.

Latest posts

Back