We're getting off message....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MiKeY

So, I've been fairly quiet lately. For those of you with whom I speak regularly, you already know some of my frustrations. I can't help but think, as I've seen more threads closed by moderators in the last two weeks than I have in the entire time I've been here, that we're getting off message, so to speak.

What's the point of our forum? Aren't we supposed to be a community of people with a common goal, or at least, some sort of loosely shared experience? Did anyone seriously join up and start posting in the sheer hopes of tearing someone else down? If that's the case, I really can't relate to that sort of loneliness, other than I can only imagine that the pain from such a prolonged state has festered far beyond bitter, and into a state of incessant, toxic anger.

We're not here to lash out at one another over trivial things. I have seen the level of intelligent conversation dwindle to the point that rather than welcoming an honest, respectable debate, some members resort to personal attacks on everything from a fellow member's avatar to their ability to fully articulate their thoughts. Everyone is at a different point in their lives, but we're all here for a reason. If it's not a form of positive interraction and companionship, then what is it? If you want to debate ideas, that's wonderful; the wisest people I know are the last ones to trumpet their level of understanding. For those of you who have the gift of knowledge and insight, that's terrific; how fortunate it is these days to be a light in such a world of darkness. However, let your intelligence and maturity shine through the truthfulness of your words; we needn't have a war of "I'm better than you" posts.

This isn't meant to be preachy or condescending in any way; I hold myself in no higher esteem than anyone here... be it a seasoned veteran with six flashy stars (Plankton, Steel... as always), or the newest member looking for solice among our ranks. However, I do think that there are truly good people here who, like myself, may be holding back some of our thoughts for fear of them not sprouting through the thick cloud of negativity that unfortunately has come to rest upon our lovely forum.

Here's my challenge to us all: let's work together to reform our community, mutually placing an elevated value upon posts that are meaningful, substansive, and seek to build up rather than tear down. Shouldn't we all have the right to express our opinions, without having to endure personal attacks and torment at the hands of intolerance? May we all be granted the serenity to accept those things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Fire

aFIREinside80 said:
So, I've been fairly quiet lately. For those of you with whom I speak regularly, you already know some of my frustrations. I can't help but think, as I've seen more threads closed by moderators in the last two weeks than I have in the entire time I've been here, that we're getting off message, so to speak.

What's the point of our forum? Aren't we supposed to be a community of people with a common goal, or at least, some sort of loosely shared experience? Did anyone seriously join up and start posting in the sheer hopes of tearing someone else down? If that's the case, I really can't relate to that sort of loneliness, other than I can only imagine that the pain from such a prolonged state has festered far beyond bitter, and into a state of incessant, toxic anger.

We're not here to lash out at one another over trivial things. I have seen the level of intelligent conversation dwindle to the point that rather than welcoming an honest, respectable debate, some members resort to personal attacks on everything from a fellow member's avatar to their ability to fully articulate their thoughts. Everyone is at a different point in their lives, but we're all here for a reason. If it's not a form of positive interraction and companionship, then what is it? If you want to debate ideas, that's wonderful; the wisest people I know are the last ones to trumpet their level of understanding. For those of you who have the gift of knowledge and insight, that's terrific; how fortunate it is these days to be a light in such a world of darkness. However, let your intelligence and maturity shine through the truthfulness of your words; we needn't have a war of "I'm better than you" posts.

This isn't meant to be preachy or condescending in any way; I hold myself in no higher esteem than anyone here... be it a seasoned veteran with six flashy stars (Plankton, Steel... as always), or the newest member looking for solice among our ranks. However, I do think that there are truly good people here who, like myself, may be holding back some of our thoughts for fear of them not sprouting through the thick cloud of negativity that unfortunately has come to rest upon our lovely forum.

Here's my challenge to us all: let's work together to reform our community, mutually placing an elevated value upon posts that are meaningful, substansive, and seek to build up rather than tear down. Shouldn't we all have the right to express our opinions, without having to endure personal attacks and torment at the hands of intolerance? May we all be granted the serenity to accept those things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Fire

lol :p I made my comments in the chat, but this is a great thread, AFI. :)SO happy to see you back, BTW!

thats a very good point i don't think anyone could have said it any better than you

thankyou

:)

I don't think Bjarne really knew what he wanted this community to become from the start and since his influence has nothing but decreased through the years i guess the community alone have to define what the community is for. And since there always have been so many different people here it's pretty much an impossible task to give the place a definition carved in stone, rather than in the sand on the shore. There have been dozen of threads just like these during the time i've been here (i was here long before this account i'm using now was activated) and just like the members come and go, so will the attitude and use of this place. "A lonely life" isn't exactly a niche.

aFIREinside80 said:
For those of you who have the gift of knowledge and insight, that's terrific; how fortunate it is these days to be a light in such a world of darkness.

Actually, it's a big pain in the ass.

Do yourselves a favor and be a mindless drone like everyone else. Independent thought is punished.

aFIREinside80 said:

Fire

This is why I don't really want to get involved with this community. This is the one forum where I talk about my real-life situation like I don't do anywhere else, and the last thing I want is to make enemies, have them go through my old posts and somehow use my problems against me - making it hard for me to be almost completely honest ever again.

I recall seeing one of the most obnoxious threads ever made a few days ago in this section. I was honestly disappointed as the people who were involved are generally "intelligent" and I thought better of them. In other forums I might not have minded so much, but in a forum where the common denominator is loneliness, some things you just don't do.

Great thread.

aFIREinside80 said:

Second that.

Latest posts

Back