Causes of your depression and loneliness.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAS

Reaction score
The cause of mine is having very few friends, suffering with social anxiety and awkwardness and having never had a girlfriend at the age of 21. Every day that passes by just makes me feel worse and worse. I'm worried that I seem to be progressively turning to alcohol more and more.

Let's hear your stories.

At the risk of sounding completely cliche and stereotypical I think it's safe to say the majority of it has to do with my childhood.

I am depressed because I have no one beside me. I have a family with members spread around the country. I haven't relationship, and it seems I won't have at the near future. Well, I also feel that no one can understand me, and that makes my loneliness and depression more deep. I hardly share my feelings with other people because I afraid of being rejected.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

HUGS

Being different, not fitting in and not wanting to either. Yeah, I guess it's partly (or mostly?) my fault I ended up in this situation. Oh well, I tend to just blame it on humanity and the crappy world we've built. It's easier that way. :)

CAS said:
I'm worried that I seem to be progressively turning to alcohol more and more.

you might considering going to some AA meetings. they are free. If you keep turning to alcohol, life can get worse. it can always get worse.

Let us see...if I began to list each and every cause, it would become another topic by itself [wait...I already have one:p!]
so, to the point:

1. Total lack of even the most basic social skills, along with
a complete weirdness that drives people away. As a result of
this, I just never seem to fit in anywhere or connect with
anyone, ultimately thinking that I just don´t belong in this world.

2. No friends whatsoever, given how the two ones I thought
really wanted to be with me sincerely ended up backstabbing
me when I needed them the most, eventually revealing they
were just using me until they could fix some stuff in their lives.
As a result of that, I find it really hard, if not impossible, to trust
someone as every time I have, the result has been the same.

3. As a result of the former, my life has turned into a stagnant,
neverending spiral of loneliness and self - loathing. Routine is slowly
absorbing me into the abyss, and darkness forcing me to accept its embrace as days go by. I´m getting more and more bored of life, and each time seeing it more as a meaningless obstacle than something to cherish and protect.

4. I have no talents, at all. There is nothing I can do better than other people, and I have tried, mind you. Drawing? couldn´t do something decent even if my life depended on it. Writing? see above. Singing? see point 1. Sports? guess what´s the answer? handicrafts? guess what. And the list goes on and on...there is nothing to improve on since, there is just nothing to improve! I also have a bigger - than -the - titanic inferiority complex, spawned from the fact that my brother has everything I don´t, leading to him receiving praise from the family, whereas I can go die for all they care. As the icing on the cake he´s an arrogant, self - centered [censored] who keeps on reminding me how he´s better than me in every way...I´ve even thought about killing him, so he just shuts up. Probably I never will, but it´s still disturbing to think the though has been, is, and will be there.

So...yeah, that´s the gist of my story.
And a piece of advice to you: do not turn to alcohol unless you really, really want to speed up the self - destructing process of your body. You´ll feel fine for a while, but the problems will still be there.
And you will be feeling a lot worse than before.

Cheers =)

Mine? I can't do anything right. I'm a loser. A failure. I can sit here and blame it on individual events, and causes but in the end it boils down to the same root cause. Me. It's that simple.

Oh, you know. My loneliness has something to do with me not having any real friends for the last 23 years or so.

When you're in my position, never having been in a (romantic) relationship really is the least of your concerns.

i'm just not quite right i'm like somekind of mutated cliche spesim that doesn't fit in anywhere i'm weird, i talk kinda funny

and O^4EC#2

:(

i hope they die

and also sometimes i can be rather spireful

:(

I never met someone that I had a lot in common with in my lifetime. In the past I had to force myself to hang out with people that I never had fun with because life with them was too 'vanilla' for me. When I meet someone I like, it seems like they are already too busy with other things and other people. It feels like I am a last resort for them when they have nothing else better to do but I don't blame them. I'm not the most exciting person to talk to or hang out with to be honest. I try my best to show some enthusiasm but its hard when you are always feeling down and just waiting to be cut off from someone's life.

I have been alone for a long time and have not gone out with someone who wasn't a family member since March of last year. I really don't mind it since I have a family to take care of constantly and that has been keeping me busy and occupied for a long time now, but I don't have time to do things for myself. I would love to learn a new language or go to flight school but I don't think it will ever happen until its too late.

Life is just honeysuckle and a little bit boring.

My reason is people keep staring at me, or i just think they do.
Im way too shy for my own good, and thats not good.
When im drunk im fine, but i dont want alcohol to run my life.

I hate how people look down on me and think im some kind of immature brat. I hate how im always being compared to others and how everyone makes everyone else seem like they are the greatest person in the world compared to me, when in fact that might be the opposite.

My looks make me feel very insecure about myself. I feel im not pretty enough to fit in with the other people. People see me as a nerd, oh shes the girl with the glasses. Oh shes the girl with the acne. The girl with no self confidence, who always dresses like crap. fresia that honeysuckle. Im tired of being looked down on and critisized. Are looks really everything everyone looks at?
Oh yeah, when I look nice no one ever says anything about me, no one says anything bad about me now huh? But when I look like I usually do, everyone always has something to say about me, something comment about, something to ******* critizise.

ugh..I just get so frustrated with myself sometimes because I know im better at this, but I just cant seem to get there.

Sorry for the language.

flylikeplanes said:
I hate how people look down on me and think im some kind of immature brat. I hate how im always being compared to others and how everyone makes everyone else seem like they are the greatest person in the world compared to me, when in fact that might be the opposite.

My looks make me feel very insecure about myself. I feel im not pretty enough to fit in with the other people. People see me as a nerd, oh shes the girl with the glasses. Oh shes the girl with the acne. The girl with no self confidence, who always dresses like crap. fresia that honeysuckle. Im tired of being looked down on and critisized. Are looks really everything everyone looks at?
Oh yeah, when I look nice no one ever says anything about me, no one says anything bad about me now huh? But when I look like I usually do, everyone always has something to say about me, something comment about, something to ******* critizise.

ugh..I just get so frustrated with myself sometimes because I know im better at this, but I just cant seem to get there.

Sorry for the language.

Hey i dont know what world your from, but i thought nerdy girls with glasses are hot.

Slap me if im wrong but this is earth right :p

If your under 20 years old, ignore what i said :D

My reasons would be various, starting from the fact that my family is completely disfunctional. I love my mother, but it's really hard to deal with her, since she's schizophrenic. Still, even with her condition, she raised us and we're professionals. My father has never contacted us much at all.

I've never been the life of the party either. I've always been quite silent and serious. People say I'm nice, yet everyone keeps the relation at a superficial level. Both at the university, and now at work, people approach me only because I'm smart and am always willing to help. There's a girl I fell in love with, although she always rejected me every time I invited her to hang out, or have dinner. Yet she contacts me when she wants to study or needs counseling or help.

Recently she called me and told me that I seemed to have forgotten her. The reason for the call was actually because she wanted to study with me for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, so we can get our engineer licenses. And I'm such an idiot that I accepted and am studying with her, if solely for the reason that I feel happy when I'm with her, even though she's always rejected me. I got away from her because contacting her just made me feel worse. And right now, when I'm with her I can't help but smile, yet afterwards just feel like garbage.

But I guess that's part of life...

Gerardo said:
My reasons would be various, starting from the fact that my family is completely disfunctional. I love my mother, but it's really hard to deal with her, since she's schizophrenic. Still, even with her condition, she raised us and we're professionals. My father has never contacted us much at all.

I've never been the life of the party either. I've always been quite silent and serious. People say I'm nice, yet everyone keeps the relation at a superficial level. Both at the university, and now at work, people approach me only because I'm smart and am always willing to help. There's a girl I fell in love with, although she always rejected me every time I invited her to hang out, or have dinner. Yet she contacts me when she wants to study or needs counseling or help.

Recently she called me and told me that I seemed to have forgotten her. The reason for the call was actually because she wanted to study with me for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, so we can get our engineer licenses. And I'm such an idiot that I accepted and am studying with her, if solely for the reason that I feel happy when I'm with her, even though she's always rejected me. I got away from her because contacting her just made me feel worse. And right now, when I'm with her I can't help but smile, yet afterwards just feel like garbage.

But I guess that's part of life...

Hey Gerardo.

i guess that's the major part of the reason i started failing after 10th grade.
i still kept up subjects i liked, and graduated with decent grades, but i wasn't brilliant any more.

to this day, my parents won't forgive, or understand why i seemed to just quit, or why neither words nor marks and bruises would do the job of "putting my mind right" any more.
to this day they still feel i'm not worth the gift of intelligence and potential i've got, seeing my going into art as a sort of a trade-off, as a lazy slide into something you don't need to think or work to do.

but i was tired of only being worthwhile as a daughter if i excelled in what is "real studies", and of folks using me as a ref book under pretenses of friendship.

i was sick of proving myself. of living for others.

i understand now that was serving others as well.
after all, resistance, doing things "in spite", is just the opposite end of the stick of obedience, and i'm done with it now.

anyway.

just thought i'd say i understand.

i'm sorry you have to sell your abilities, your knowledge for appearances, for chances.

i've been down that road way more times than i care to remember

i hope you will one day meet someone that will see the beauty in the serious, the quiet in you. that will love you for your kindness, intelligence and beauty, for things you love best in yourself.
i hope it will be mutual, and that it will happen at the right time, the right way.

(hug)

i know i have.
shade.

I wouldn't consider myself depressed or really that lonely, but most people think of me as a *****. And can't handle my brutal honesty. =/ But, I refuse to change. I'm sorry they can't just shake it off, and just say, "Oh, well... She's a *****, but at least she's an honest one."

I don't think I'm that mean. I don't go around with the direct purpose of trying to hurt people's feelings. It's just that I'd want someone to be honest with me, so I'm honest with everyone. Really, I'm not that mean. But, I think that's caused me to not extend myself so much in the way of being close friends to many people.

I think the thread title's a misnomer.

The cause of my depression IS loneliness, at least 90% of it.

The cause of my loneliness is largely situational (family deaths, friends moving away, friends getting partners).

Nothing seems permanent. I'm always moving on to the next chapter. It's frustrating, time-consuming, & you never get to settle in before the next crisis.

I totally understand where your coming from. I feel like i'm just unheard even when I have something really good to say. Part of why it is so frustrating for me is because although I maybe treated as an equal, with respect, and regarded as someone worth having something to say, in the outside world, I feel as though at home I cannot. I don't know why this is so and I don't know why I cannot seem to break such perceptions. Even if I am heard, it always seems to get used against my in some way or another. I feel pretty much worthless and come to feel that all the good things that I may have done or accomplished mean nothing or are of little significance as compared to my fresia ups.

People will hate, they will try to put you down, and it will always be a battle in trying to get those voices out of your head. We will do things that we regret because in the back of our minds we know that we could have and are capable of doing better. I totally get where your coming from and like you i'm trying to come to similar terms.

-NY

flylikeplanes said:

Sorry for the language.

Latest posts

Back