Ideas for Activities

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyneco

Reaction score
What are some ways to meet "young" people (aged 20-25, to be more specific) other than clubbing? I don't really drink, I can't/don't want to dance or do karaoke, and the one thing that comes to mind when people ask me when I like to do is "read." Yeah, I'm boring as hell.

It depends where you live and what's avaliable to you.

School
Work
the luandry mate
ballard arcade or pool hall.
church
beach
mall
bowling alley
Rec. centers
gym
park
Libuary
art galleries
Softball games.
Clubs as in chess club.

Be aware of community actvities or events..such as BBQ cook off , county fair and what have ya.

gyneco said:
What are some ways to meet "young" people (aged 20-25, to be more specific) other than clubbing? I don't really drink, I can't/don't want to dance or do karaoke, and the one thing that comes to mind when people ask me when I like to do is "read." Yeah, I'm boring as hell.

Book club?

Sometimes bookstores will hold evening events or have guest speakers come in. Same for libraries.

At least they used to around here...

Defcon

DEF CON (also written as DEFCON or Defcon) is the world's largest annual hacker convention, held every year in Las Vegas, Nevada. The first DEF CON took place in June 1993, and in 2008, over 8500 people attended DEF CON 16.

Many of the attendees at DEF CON include computer security professionals, journalists, lawyers, federal government employees, crackers, and hackers with a general interest in computer code and computer architecture. The event consists of several tracks of speakers about computer- and hacking-related subjects, as well as social events and contests in everything from creating the longest Wi-Fi connection and cracking computer systems to who can most effectively cool a beer in the Nevada heat. Other contests include lockpicking, robotic-related contests, art, slogan, coffee wars, and Capture the Flag. Capture the Flag (CTF) is perhaps the best known of these contests. It is a hacking competition where teams of hackers attempt to attack and defend computers and networks. CTF has been emulated at other hacking conferences as well as in academic and military contexts.

Satyr said:
Book club?

Eh. I've never been to one, but from all the sitcoms I've seen book club seems to be a gathering of middle-aged ladies who tend to like Oprah-approved books. Maybe in ten years I'd want to join them, but not now.

Defcon said:
DEF CON (also written as DEFCON or Defcon) is the world's largest annual hacker convention, held every year in Las Vegas, Nevada. The first DEF CON took place in June 1993, and in 2008, over 8500 people attended DEF CON 16.

Many of the attendees at DEF CON include computer security professionals, journalists, lawyers, federal government employees, crackers, and hackers with a general interest in computer code and computer architecture. The event consists of several tracks of speakers about computer- and hacking-related subjects, as well as social events and contests in everything from creating the longest Wi-Fi connection and cracking computer systems to who can most effectively cool a beer in the Nevada heat. Other contests include lockpicking, robotic-related contests, art, slogan, coffee wars, and Capture the Flag. Capture the Flag (CTF) is perhaps the best known of these contests. It is a hacking competition where teams of hackers attempt to attack and defend computers and networks. CTF has been emulated at other hacking conferences as well as in academic and military contexts.

LOL

I'll definitely check this out. :D

gyneco said:
Eh. I've never been to one, but from all the sitcoms I've seen book club seems to be a gathering of middle-aged ladies who tend to like Oprah-approved books. Maybe in ten years I'd want to join them, but not now.

Usually depends on the bookstore and who's involved. There are Science Fiction/Fantasy and Horror book clubs as well.

Not everyone is into Oprah...or at least I hope not.

Take a phone and called.
Msning chatting
Go to the arcade and talks to people who looks friendly
Organise outing or sports outing with friends.

If someone invite you,go.

If you go to school, joining a club at your college might help, also talking to ppl. in your classes.

Definitely look in to your local arts events. Like if you live in Seattle, do a search on "Seattle arts events" or something. There's all sorts of little things going on in any given city (even if you have to travel a little) that you can attend and wouldn't really know about without looking.

You could even try finding your local NPR (National Public Radio) station's website: http://www.npr.org/templates/stations/stations/ (search your zip code)...it's common for them to list big 'indie' sorts of cultural events.

The polar alternative to bars, of course, for people like you and me is coffee shops/book stores. If it's a combination of the two, that's even better. :p

Latest posts

Back