Some Questions for everyone who's used (or is currently using) online dating Services

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ExtensivexLDL

What made you sign up for them (or it)? Was it because you were (or are) starting to fear you were/are never gonna meet anyone otherwise? Was it because it matches with your preference of meeting people anonymously without the pressure that an initial face-to-face interaction may cause or because it was/is 'popular'? Or are you/were you simply trying to combine BOTH aspects/possibilities of meeting someone so as to improve your chances- both via the real world and virtually...?

Lets share.

Well I haven't signed up yet but I guess I was wanting to meet other guys, I've browsed through about 4 dating websites but at the moment am fine with my single status. I'm just curious as to who is out there. Don't know what to say about myself just yet to make a profile.

ExtensivexLDL said:
What made you sign up for them (or it)? Was it because you were (or are) starting to fear you were/are never gonna meet anyone otherwise?

I signed up because dating sites can open doors to meet a lot of interesting people. I never fear not meeting someone. I know it will happen in it's own time.

Was it because it matches with your preference of meeting people anonymously without the pressure that an initial face-to-face interaction may cause or because it was/is 'popular'? Or are you/were you simply trying to combine BOTH aspects/possibilities of meeting someone so as to improve your chances- both via the real world and virtually...?

Lets share.

I haven't used it to improve my chances per say but, obviously it does. I have met a lot of interesting men online. I dated an engineer who loved carpentry and was exceptionally talented in it, a business owner who owned five theathers and was a very kind man, a musician who could bring down the house, a factory worker who loved and restored old muscle cars, a nurse who was facinated by Jung and the list goes on and on. I know people give internet dating a bad rap and yes, I have had my share of guys who wanted to hop in the bed at the drop of a hat but, I have also met men who were definatley worthy of my time and who would travel to take me out. Internet dating has for the most part been a very positive experience. I would happily do it again.

Naleena said:
ExtensivexLDL said:
What made you sign up for them (or it)? Was it because you were (or are) starting to fear you were/are never gonna meet anyone otherwise?

I signed up because dating sites can open doors to meet a lot of interesting people. I never fear not meeting someone. I know it will happen in it's own time.

Was it because it matches with your preference of meeting people anonymously without the pressure that an initial face-to-face interaction may cause or because it was/is 'popular'? Or are you/were you simply trying to combine BOTH aspects/possibilities of meeting someone so as to improve your chances- both via the real world and virtually...?

Lets share.

I haven't used it to improve my chances per say but, obviously it does. I have met a lot of interesting men online. I dated an engineer who loved carpentry and was exceptionally talented in it, a business owner who owned five theathers and was a very kind man, a musician who could bring down the house, a factory worker who loved and restored old muscle cars, a nurse who was facinated by Jung and the list goes on and on. I know people give internet dating a bad rap and yes, I have had my share of guys who wanted to hop in the bed at the drop of a hat but, I have also met men who were definatley worthy of my time and who would travel to take me out. Internet dating has for the most part been a very positive experience. I would happily do it again.

Yeah this is the thing.. I'm a guy (as you can tell lol) and I've never even been on a single date yet, let alone had a girlfriend. I'm just wondering if maybe I should make it one of my priorities to allocate some time in browsing a dating website so I can improve my chances of meeting someone (as I'm not even sure when I'll ever even get to go on a date lol :p).

What do you (and other people) suggest?

ExtensivexLDL said:
Yeah this is the thing.. I'm a guy (as you can tell lol) and I've never even been on a single date yet, let alone had a girlfriend. I'm just wondering if maybe I should make it one of my priorities to allocate some time in browsing a dating website so I can improve my chances of meeting someone (as I'm not even sure when I'll ever even get to go on a date lol :p).

I would say it would make great practice :) Go for it!

Naleena said:
ExtensivexLDL said:

I would say it would make great practice :) Go for it!

Sweet.. are there any websites you'd recommend? (Hopefully ones that are free of charge :p)

I've signed up once, and within a week found the woman who i now refer to as "my ex", whom i was together with for three years. I did so when i was 18 because that was when i first had started thinking about them. Since i had no experience nor guts to talk to girls i thought maybe doing it all online could help me. And it did. Found my second partner online too, here actually, and while my ex was a disaster for me, my current lovely is perfect.

Robin said:
I've signed up once, and within a week found the woman who i now refer to as "my ex", whom i was together with for three years. I did so when i was 18 because that was when i first had started thinking about them. Since i had no experience nor guts to talk to girls i thought maybe doing it all online could help me. And it did. Found my second partner online too, here actually, and while my ex was a disaster for me, my current lovely is perfect.

Good to hear :) Which website(s) did you use?

I signed up to a dating site in 2003 for the following reasons:

- I was shy
- I'm not attracted to guys from my own country
- I was on the rebound
- I wanted a guy with a specific quality at the time
- I wanted a guy who spoke English as his first language (I'm obsessed with English)
- I found the "hunt" intriguing lol

I met my boyfriend there a couple of months after signing up.
Sadly the site does no longer exist because they teamed up with a bigger site. Also it was a Jewish dating site (don't ask lol).

So I'm afraid I can't recommend any sites for you, but an obvious tip would be to not talk to women who only wants to talk about sex.
They're either a tease or a guy! Lol :p

Good luck! :)

samba101 said:
Just google dating websites or companionship/friendship that should provide you with a list. They have a free one called www.oasisactive.com it's a world wide web I think. Anyhow good luck.

Thanks for the help.

Oceanmist23 said:
So I'm afraid I can't recommend any sites for you, but an obvious tip would be to not talk to women who only wants to talk about sex.
They're either a tease or a guy! Lol

Good luck!

LOl, thanks :p

because I'm desperate for someone to love and love me back, to hold, to spend time with, someone to make me feel special and someone to make feel special. that and I'm pretty much afraid of the outside world and definetely would never approach a girl in real life.

I've only given one a serious try. I use it because it's easy and it gives me the hope that maybe, even though I don't really get out and meet new people, maybe I can go out with a girl some day.

I've talked to a couple of girls at length, but that's about it. I can't seem to actually get any dates. I thought I almost had one set, but she suddenly stopped responding around Jan 1st...I found her myspace (Brian, Net Detective!) and turns out she met some dumb lookin' guy in real life who she's all eyes for. That was somewhat humbling.

I say dumb because 30% of the pictures are of him shirtless, unshaven, wearing a cowboy hate and holding a beer.

Oh! And the -ultimate irony-! He's a firefighter too, with a department I applied to work at as a resident. That would've been weird, lemme tell ya.

ExtensivexLDL said:
Sweet.. are there any websites you'd recommend? (Hopefully ones that are free of charge :p)

It depends on your personality. I am a very odd person and so I look for people simular to myself when I date. You can google key words for example some of mine that I use: Humanitarian, pagan, new age, etc.
My favorite which I don't believe you would be interested in is:

www.consciousmatch.com

You can also take personality tests like the one we had on the board some time ago and seek personals under that. For example there are forums for infj's, ect.

I've tried a few sites, but haven't had much luck with them. I suppose you do have to keep trying but I never seem to know what to say. I met up with one woman who I had nothing in common with once (blind date - not a good idea). Then again I guess I could put it down to experience.

The reasons why started using them were:
1. I thought it would be easier to talk to someone via a computer rather than face to face.
2. I wasn't getting any success any other way!

Originally, when I joined my first dating site back in the days, it was because I had a genuine hope of actually meeting someone through it. Now, it's mostly because I'm bored, and sometimes I will exchange a few messages with various interesting people (though never someone I'd consider dating).

Equinox said:
Originally, when I joined my first dating site back in the days, it was because I had a genuine hope of actually meeting someone through it. Now, it's mostly because I'm bored, and sometimes I will exchange a few messages with various interesting people (though never someone I'd consider dating).

Why wouldn't you date someone via a dating site then?

I do online dating, as I don't seem able to meet anyone the 'usual' way. I'm not much good at it though, as getting on with someone well via email does not automatically translate to getting on well in real life when you meet up.

I've tried it a few times. It has never amounted to anything. The dishonesty associated with it eventually lead me to stop.

I've tried them. They're not actually that bad, from a guy's perspective, as long as you understand the paradigm at work and that it can bring out the worst in people, whether that be arrogance or lechery or anything else. It's just something that needs to be worked around.

As to why I joined, I spend my school years freezing in a tech school way out in the middle of nowhere, and I spend my summers in a town full of people completely unlike me. The only way I was ever going to meet someone with common interests was through the Net, and these were a convenient vehicle for that. I tend to work all day, too, and emailing someone at 3 AM is easier than meeting them on the street.

Latest posts

Back