Places to Go Alone and meet people?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorn_Dem17

Reaction score
Where do we as loners need to start going and meet people? I realize that WE NEED TO TAKE A BREAK FROM THE COMPUTER AND GET OUT THE HOUSE.

Its a scary thing for most introverts..so where are some places to go out alone?

I dunno....
I got totally screwed today becuase of my transprotation issues for work.
So I had to freaken take the bus home.

I mingle with a babe standing in line with me.
Then I mingle with another babe sitting next to me on the bus.
So..I'm not as afriad to talk to complete strangers and introducing myself.
Sometimes other people will approch me and ask me questions and stuff...

Yeah get out of the house...definitely.
That was a big step for me..I had to force myself to go out of my house and stay out
of my house for a couple of hours...Luckiy there's a nice park near where i live.
I ride my bike around the park..There's people at the park...
Then I went back to work.
Then I started attending my meetings..That's what recovery meetings are suppose to do...
Gets me out of isolating myself...I'm a recovery addict...a majority of addicts has habits
of isolating themselves...Even thou I havn't used for decades...I find meetings helpful to
a degree. Plus i get to practice sharing in front of people or opening up myself.
There's only a couple of people that i'll hang around with...half ass.
I'm making progress. I don't know anyone as closed as i used to.

Maybe go to church...I dunno..
Try the mall..
I don't drink anymore..so i don't go to clubs or bars..but that's where i used to go.

fresia..I feel sort of down right now...I wish I can just drive to the beach like I used to.
Plenty of people at the beach...that's for sure.
I'm tired of this honeysuckle..I wanna run away ..or I need to get away from this honeysuckle for a while.

I'm thinking about just buying a round trip BUS ticket to San Fransico..Just to get the fresia
away. I know the drive on highway 101 is beautiful. Maybe I'll meeting different people,
different places...a change of pace. A little vacation.

I can't wait tell I can my new car...I'm tired of living like this.

Errrr...my mom is going bowling and shoping with her friend right now....
that's terrible man..My mom have more fun and live a healther life style than I do :(...
She's dose something or go places all he time.

Lonesome Crow:

Okay.. Thanks.. I'm going to give it a try. I guess the winter time isnt such a good time for meeting people.. I'm suppose to move soon.. So as soon as I move I will stay out of the house for at least a few hours everyday. I'll try parks, malls, walks, resturants.. and anything place else ?( Thinking... thinking).. I will get to know my new neighborhood and try to meet peole. I'll try to look approachable and I need to learn how to smile more. You might feel bad Lonesome but you made my day.. I know how you feel.. I feel like running away or just jumping in front of a train.. ( Lately.. the urge has been strong)...but I guess.. we should hold on a little longer.

But.. if this year passes me by and things havent changed I might just do something bad out of frustration.

It might not be an option for you being in New York City, but I'm going to go out on a limb here, and recommend a very specific option for people in small-medium towns and rural areas: you are almost guaranteed to have a volunteer fire department.

Find it.
Figure out what sort of positions they have open. Ask about activity requirements.
Go in and fill out an application.

Depending on the department, you can volunteer for any number of duties from actual fire fighting, to helping with events, providing 'support' (helping with food, drinks etc) on big fires, or even helping with the office work. And often when it comes to being an actual firefighter on these smaller departments, you can set your own limits. Like on my department, there's only a handful of us that actually go -in- to the buildings when the situation calls for it...there's more than enough work to be done outside (and besides that, a lot of houses are already beyond an interior attack even when 911 is called...but that's another story). Point being, you don't have to be macho tough and fearless. Just willing to work and learn. (And if any firefighter ever tells you they've never been afraid, you can call them a liar).

My point though, is for a young person who has problems with shyness, self confidence/image, motivation, or meeting people, the fire service atmosphere is an excellent fix. As long as you're willing to make an effort to improve and talk to people, you will make friends, period. Good friends. And through training and responding to calls, or whatever your role is with the team, you boost your confidence in your self. You find you're capable of more than you thought. It's like joining the military only better. ;) And like I said, you don't have to be charging in with the interior hose team to contribute or to reap the personal benefits. It's a team effort (though you never know, you might decide you want to try a live burn exercise or something).

And next thing you know, it's a Saturday and you're hanging around the fire station after lunch, looking through pictures on the office computer, and you realize you're in them. You're part of that team...that group of people that looks out for one another. A group of friends you'd be hard-pressed to replace with better ones.

It's been 3 years since I signed on with West Pend Oreille Fire up here in Idaho. 3 years ago I was shy and quiet. 3 years ago I was boring and had nothing to talk about. 3 years ago I knew nobody and had no friends. But none of that applies to me now. Even if I wasn't pursuing this as a career, I have the fire service and my fellow firemen (and firewomen!) to thank for all of that. It helped me more than anything else ever has, and I know it can help other people who are like I was.

That aside, about 80% of the communities in the U.S. and other parts of the world rely on volunteer firefighters because they don't have the tax base for paid personnel. And it's getting very hard to find people willing to put their time in to this age-old tradition.

Did I mention it looks good on a job application?

So yeah. I know it's not an option for everyone, and I know it's not something most people consider doing for various reasons. But I highly recommend you at least look in to it and consider it, because I know it could open doors for a lot of people here if they applied themselves to it.

Anyhoo. If anyone is intrigued and wants to talk more about how it all works, whats required, what it's like or whatever...send me a PM and I'd be glad to help.

Any places will do but a conversation needs to be started to make friends.

Recently,I made a stranger as friend just by talking about the game inside the arcade since I am inside the arcade.Once I heard about him going to the arcade again,I made follow ups by intentionally going there again.

Places like shopping mall,library,sport center and even school itself.These are places that you can make friends with.

If your in school just randomly talking to people in your classes
Try to get study groups together for certain classes
Join clubs at school, sports teams

if you dont go to school...
Going to the bar, drinking always brings people together
Clubbing
At work just randomly talk to people, ive found that bitching about work is a great way to meet someone cause chances are that certain person hates thier job just as much as you hate yours lol

Go to a bookstore like Barnes and Nobles. You can talk about books and stuff.Some B&N have Starbucks so you can seat and socialize. That's what I am going to try

I spend a lot of time at Barns and Nobel. I know most the workers there, plus a few of the regulars. Plus if no one is around I can grab a book and sit down to read. I strike up a conversation usually, or help someone out.

Sometimes I even pretend I work there and people believe me.

Shopper: "I'm looking for a book called Pendragon"
Employee: "Well it should be somewhere around here...what's the author?"
*Much rummaging around*
Me: "You're in the wrong section. it's with the children's books around the corner."
Employe: "Ohh...."

Course why wouldn't they believe me? heh.

But I am pretty lonely. My problem seems to be that people are friendly, but not my friends. I am good at keeping a conversation, pretty confident.

Lately though, my brother's friends have been around and my brother hasn't, so we hung out today, my friend and my bro's friend. Now that we're older we have more in common, and the age gap isn't so big.

So it's getting better, I guess. It's an encouragement.

BROKEN RECORD ALERT!!

Are you, by chance, a musician? If not, I would suggest learning to play a musical instrument. Music lessons are a good way to get out and meet people, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a friendlier, more supportive community.

If music doesn't interest you, what does? Do some snooping around, find out if there are any groups or organizations in your area with similar interests. Friendships grown between like-minded people are the friendships whose roots grow deepest.

Scorn_Dem17 said:
Where do we as loners need to start going and meet people? I realize that WE NEED TO TAKE A BREAK FROM THE COMPUTER AND GET OUT THE HOUSE.

Its a scary thing for most introverts..so where are some places to go out alone?

Well, about the first one you are right::) personally I  don't spend too much time with computer. Where are those girls who are seeking boysis a good post for beginning to get an idea where should go and how to act to meet some female companion... :)

One thing I did was go to Buffalo Wild Wings and sit at the bar. Not on weekends or Monday nights during sports events. I would have dinner there and have a couple of beers once a week. Over time I would become good friends with the bar tenders. I always had trouble with talking to strangers, but not bar tenders. One other thing is that as I drank, I became more comfortable with talking to strangers around me. "3 Beer" Drew is my favorite person. I've had enough alcohol that my inhibitions are lowered and I can talk freely with individuals around me, but I am in no way impaired. Honestly, I wish I could be that way all the time.

This got me out of the house and around people. Even if I didn't talk to anyone other than the bar tender, at least I was being a little social. It was enough to feed my "social interaction" need.

Best bet, would be a gay club. You wont be alone there.. you would actually wish you stayed at home in front of a computer.

NewOrder2016 said:
Best bet, would be a gay club. You wont be alone there.. you would actually wish you stayed at home in front of a computer.

Good one, you made me laugh :)

Latest posts

Back