Let's Start Solving the Loneliness Problem

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jamesey

Looky here guys I don't think sitting on our arses in this forum will solve anything. What we should be doing is attempting to meet up in real life so we can establish a real connection with each other.
Yes there are risks that you might be meeting up with a nut or creeper but there is also the risk that we will be able to meet a real friend. So, if anyone agrees with me let's make a pact to attempt to meet each other in real life so we're not just talking the talk and that we might start walking the walk as well.

Nor are things necessarily actually any easier offline, in the first place.

I think you're just suggesting that so you can molest all of us! :p

But seriously, that would be cool if it was possible for me to travel. I would have to know everyone much better online beforehand, also.

This reminds me of what I think about when I listen to "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles. "..All the lonely people, where do they all belong?" Well, with each other would solve everything. That's what I always thought... :D

well I hope you're at least agreeing that when a lonely person meets another lonely person they will either get angry with each other or be happy, either way, either angry or happy I'm pretty sure they will be less lonely.

I agree that we'll all have to take little steps into getting to know each other before finally meeting each other.

We can all wait until a miracle happens to help us be less lonely or we can take steps to solve the problem.

Here's the first step:
Everyone get on www.okcupid.com and create a profile.

Second step:
post here your user accounts, then we can learn things about each other in an efficient and convenient way.

Your solution suggests no end of unstated assumptions about the entire problem and context thereof.

Indeed, meeting people would far less of a problem for me, where I less particular, and if any longer term association came more easily from just any initial contact however at random.

Logically in order to build ties and relationships you need people in your life and the opportunity can only arise by actually seeking to make contact with them. These conditions I would say are the necessary environment for creating opportunities to develop relationships with people. Now, for some it might be somewhat awkward or social anxiety may still impede them in a way but that's why I've suggested the 1st and 2nd step. The 1st and 2nd step being we all go to www.okcupid.com make an account and post our okcupid account ids in this forum. OkCupid will allow us an opportunity to know each other in a convenient, secure and efficient way.
Now if you still have skepticism about this plan then lets hear your plan.

Hey dude,

My husband probably woulnd't be too thrilled for me to join an online dating site. Can't we just talk here? I am a big fan of the Private Message feature--because I find sorting through the threads a bit overwhelming!

jamesey, the conditions whereof you specify are necessary but inadequate. Indeed, I have found not only dating pages but social networking sites in general, monumentally irrelevant and a waste of time. Simple exchange of biographical data is futile. Entirely different factors which you fail even to consider, actually define the environment conducive to opportunity and the cultivation of relationships.

=====
http://www.FoolQuest.com

AaronAgassi said:
Entirely different factors which you fail even to consider, actually define the environment conducive to opportunity and the cultivation of relationships.
That's why step one is just learning about each other. The rest is solved in the plan later on.

I think this is a great idea, I just have a deep mistrust of people online from hearing a lot of horror stories growing up. However, perhaps just talking about our hobbies and other important things in this or a different thread would suffice? Joining another site doesn't appeal to me. And then if someone interests us further we could IM or PM.

We could even do a Meetup like meetup.com. How about that?

I do not see how your step follows. I am not aware of the rest of your plan. Nor would I bet on your perhaps. Indeed, you fail to address anything that I would consider even remotely relevant or effective.

If someone else has seen the point and explaining it thrice you do not then I do not see the point in investing any effort to provide any further elaboration.
In addition, you do not need to participate in the excercize, nor am I expecting someone so dismissive.

Either I am, indeed, missing something, or you are, in truth, making assumptions and blindly leaping to conclusions. Because, again, the steps in your argument do not actually appear to follow necessarily or even adequately, from one to another.

Either way, if you are only repeating yourselves, with minor rephrasing, then that would not help. After all, identification of the nature of communications error, is the first necessary step in the repair of miscommunication.

I must also assume that you understand and agree exactly what problems I think that you have overlooked, because you neither question nor seek to rebut.

I will add however, that if what most people accept as common sense, as regards to the mechanics of interpersonal connection, simply isn't true after all, then that would explain many prevalent difficulties.

I like the idea of getting together. Maybe we should have a big Lonely Conference or something. Although I can't imagine what a mess the press would make of anything like that, if it were big. hehe

In any case, I'll be thinking about this, I think the dating site won't be effective partly because of what lonelygirl said and partly because of the stigmata of dating sites.

My best idea offhand would be a meeting planned something like a year in advance in a publicly-accessible safe place in an easily-accessible country, and run by someone willing to put his personal details out here so we could trust him/her. I'd do it but I don't have the time to devote to it right now.

Latest posts

Back