What cheers you up?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

angel_light

Well I thought i would think more positive, as ive been depressed and negative today.
what cheers me up?
MUSIC:  (too much to mention!)I love listening to my Space Brothers album,in fact im doing that right now!.I love my Savage Garden album Affirmation, the song crash and burn is fantastic.
I love the song posession by Sarah Mclachlan at the moment.

MOVIES:  (too many to mention!)I love the movie Fluke,Bruce Almighty,The Lost Boys,Queen of the Damned,Spiderman.
A weekend at Bernies and Scary Movie 3 for some weird reason kills me with laughter,i find them extremely funny!

GAMES:  (Quite a lot!)I love the Ecco the Dolphin game,I still have my sega dream cast, and have finished Ecco about 5 times now!LOL,I play Animal Crossing a lot on my DS!

PETS:  Cant complain i have a zoo at home, i love cuddling my Geckos,and how their little tounges lick me.I love my cat purring in my face and rubbing his head on my hand, as I scratch his head,I love how bright my chameleons colours change when he is pleased to see me and have a cuddle,I love how my dog always knows how to cheer me up, and even when i dont feel like it gets me out of my depression for my own good,I love how he licks my feet, and i can never be mad at him for long, as he always makes it up to me!LOL.I love how my fish dance about around each other,and watching their many beautiful theraputic colours.

BOOKS:  Well Im not a book worm, but i do love Stuart Wilde, especially his book Miracles*;)

Ok, thats me, I would love to know what cheers up you guys!???:cool:

You have a DS... I wish I had one. :p
Then we could play mario kart.

I like to look at the sky... and listen to music...

When I feel depressed I like to listen to
Kent - Om Du Var Här
Beck - Lonesome Tears
anything by Pupworm. :)

hi there,
what cheers me up..? well i like a variety of music and depending what mood i'm in it relaxes me (e.g MCR if i'm agry or depressed, fedde le grand if i wanna go party or i'm in a positive, DJ Alligator if i feel like dancing.. etc).
as for movies well its the same with music..depends what mood i'm in, but i'm the sort of chick who likes to actually experience the fun and not watch it and be a 'couch potato' so i don't watch tv much unless in must-sees and if it's really relevant.
when i'm sad and down and i just feel like a hug my friends cheer me up with just listening to me or taking me out to have fun or have a 'girlie night' which always cheers me up in the end or i write poems to express my feelings; so i'm always cheered up in the end but lots of things can cheer me up really..
To me it just depends on the actual mood or cause and the individual really.

A good laugh! funny stuff, comedy, comics, good movies like The Boy who could fly (the ending part), the neverending story, and also the more "mature" ones, good acting really cheers me up, talking to someone who I've lost touch with, having people around me who want to hang out with me for real, real friends, real people, I miss that. A good sports game on tv, cheering with some friends for whatever team, dancing cheers me up, singing a good song...hmmm I might've gotten some ideas from here, I wish I wasn't so shy and timid sometimes....

recentlly there hadn't been too many things to cheer me up;
music; any kind at all but when i'm depressed it's either a totally sad song to mach my mood, or a ritmical one to rise my mood or just listen to rock, especially GACKT (who ever is a fan of Gackt, please contact me, maybe we could share info, please!);
if i have a lot of feelings i like to write lyrics for my songs and just let it all go!
literature: either reading a good book like some novel or some guiding book throught life, if you know whwt i mean, sometimes even some fan fiction, or if i don't find anything interesting i'll just write some more at my own stories (i write a lot!)
and of course if i'm not feeling alright i just think or watch some anime! and it cheers me up usually, but that depends on how depressed am i! thanks for listening

Usually it's music. Anything by Dream Theater or Porcupine Tree. Especially when I put it on shuffle and one of their songs pops up. So awesome ^___^

A good movie always make me feel good after watching it. Especially if it's a romantic one

Playing guitar and feel that I'm actually improving, but that's a rare one ^_^

Making accessories and selling them for charity, happy animals, writing, reading, music, reminiscing the good times, playing the violin, good coffee, wine, CHOCOLATES!!

I was wondering if anyone here likes riverdance? I'm a huge fan, and it sure cheers me up :), as in watching it, not dancing ...i dont know how :D

vivid_details said:
Making accessories and selling them for charity, happy animals, writing, reading, music, reminiscing the good times, playing the violin, good coffee, wine, CHOCOLATES!!

Oooh, another violinist!  How long have you played?  I wish I'd been more devoted to it back in high school when I actually had a teacher.  For some reason I didn't find much enjoyment in it back then.  Lately I've been appreciating the instrument more and more, but unfortunately I don't have the time or money for lessons right now :(  Even so, just listening to something like the second movement of the Sibelius concerto is enough to make me believe there is pure beauty in the world.

Guestnolonger,

Oh not very long! only for about 3 years. I loved playing but I had this really impassionate teacher. Didn't believe in playing for the joy of it, she was a little insane too. She would hit you if you moved to the music. I don't see how one can play the irish fiddle while standing frozen??:)

And I know what you mean about finding pure beauty in music. There are days when listening to the classics lets my heart, mind and soul soar to places I never knew existed...

vivid_details said:
She would hit you if you moved to the music. I don't see how one can play the irish fiddle while standing frozen??:)

Lol wow, that's pretty harsh >_<  I think the choice of whether to move around while playing is a highly personal one.  There are a lot of nice concert recordings on YouTube of well-known violinists, and many of them are very animated.  There are a few who are fairly glacial (Heifetz comes to mind), but even they show a great deal of expressiveness in their vibrato and phrasing.

Do you play classical too, or just the folksy stuff?  I'm classically trained, but I do have a liking for traditional Irish/Celtic pieces.

vivid_details said:
And I know what you mean about finding pure beauty in music. There are days when listening to the classics lets my heart, mind and soul soar to places I never knew existed...

Very poetically put!  I like the Romantic-era composers in particular -- Bruch, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Mendelssohn all have pieces that can just melt you.  Can't go wrong with Bach either :)

Yes, I went for classical violin lessons, but sometimes we played folk music. But I'm still a beginner, so I have a long way to go. Still, my favourite kind is the classical kind, and oh yes, somedays when I'm awfully lonely, I listen to Bach Cello suite (I have a leaning towards string instruments :)), with a glass of red wine and sit on my balcony and ponder about the philosophy of life, at least with a more positive perspective :). And the classics really help me with descriptive writing, because they can invoke so much emotion without being distracting with words.

Do you like the opera? hmm..i remember reading about someone else liking the opera here too...

I like dirty and politically incorrect jokes, funny movies (new Chris Rock one looks pretty funny to me--but I'm married!) and the ocean. The smell of that fresh ocean air, the relaxing sound of the waves breaking, and just relaxing there makes me feel philosophical, deep, and relaxed!

I like Rimsky-Korsakov and Dvorak. Of course Mozart is my favorite of all time. I LOVED that movie, "Amadeus."

Vivid, I'm not a fan of operas per se, but I do love the instrumental music that goes with them.  Who could NOT like that ravishing Meditation from Massenet's Thais?  And I know what you mean about string instruments.  I listen to and enjoy a wide variety of music (both classical and contemporary), but nothing speaks to my soul like a lone violin/viola/cello.  It's really hard to put into words... the sound just contains a certain deep wistfulness, tinged with joy, that I find irresistible.

lonelygirl, do you have any favorites from Rimsky-Korsakov?  Scheherazade is a wonderful piece of course, but I don't think I've heard many other works by him.

angel_light said:
I play Animal Crossing a lot on my DS!

I love Animal Crossing! I usually play Animal Crossing for gamecube if I'm really bored. It also helps me get my mind off of things.
I also enjoy listening to music when I'm in a bad mood, helps me think of other things.

I also enjoy going for a nice hot bubble bath when I'm in a bad mood or when I'm stressed. Going for a long walk also helps when I have alot on my mind.

I need to break this into a couple of categories:

Outdoors: I love walking, exploring, and spending time with my dog.

Indoors: a cosy fire, comfy clothes, and good comedy.

Food: a bacon sandwich in my own style, washed down with cold Coke.

Life: it is simple kindness, even just witnessing it third party.

Latest posts

Back