Depression and School- I need advice

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourGlow

Reaction score
I'm having an issue right now, and I'm not sure what to do.

I've missed a few days of school and 2 of them were due to depression and anxiety. My art teacher sends me an email saying that I need a doctor's note otherwise I'll fail the course.

I haven't been diagnosed with depression and anxiety because I've never gone to the doctor for it. Is depression and anxiety even a acceptable excuse to miss class in the same way that the flu is?

I would really rather not have everyone know that I have depression. I don't even want my grandparents to know that I have it because I don't want them to worry.

Do you guys think that I should just drop the class since it only makes my depression and anxiety even worse, or should I get a doctor's note so that my absence will be excused and just endure the remainder of the semester knowing that my teacher knows about my issue? Or do you suggest something else?

How does art depress you?

Can't you just talk to the teacher outside of class?

Medical reasons are confidential.

And Depression, clinical depression, is certainly a valid reason.

^Well I once liked art very much and now I can't stand the thought of it. I used to do art just because it was fun but now I see it as a chore. I feel like no matter what I do I'll never be good enough and I feel so much pressure to do well even though it's not likely that I will do well. I've lost a big chunk of my creativity. Art was like one of the only things I was good at but now I feel lost because I don't feel as though I'm good at it anymore. Also the environment of the class leaves me feeling alone and left out and I feel like my classmates are judging me and not my work. I always leave class with an intense migraine.

I suppose I could talk to her about it and I'm sure she can tell that theres something wrong with me, but I'd just rather not tell her. Plus I get the feeling that she doesn't like me anymore because of the fact that I've missed so many classes and that I don't talk when I am there, etc.

I had the same problem and uni. I went to the counselling office and got a letter, if you need anymore help pm me anytime. xxx

It is/can be a valid excuse.

Perhaps you should go see a doctor about it. I am fairly sure your general practitioner can write your doctor's note to give to the teacher, but if you are having that much trouble with it he probably will advise you to see someone about it soon.

Does your school have personal days?

If yoy don't like it and it's making you depressed then you shouldn't really carry on doing it.

I can relate to you.There was a period of time in my college that I struggled in class because I found it hard to be alone in the class.Everybody was talking to one another but I was always alone.

But still,school is important and I had to attend it.

Try making friends in the class and this would brighten your life.

I think if you are getting credits with your course that you should carry it on and get a doctors note, over here in oz they just write you out a certificate without any reason as to your abscence and how many days your are to take off.

Latest posts

Back