Can anyone recommend decent anti-virus software

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasmin

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a decent anti-virus software that is free and fairly idiot proof?

Thanks
J

AVG is a good choice- I've been using it for years (cos I'm a cheapskate), and I've not had a problem so far. I seem to remember it being fairly easy to install, and after that it pretty much does it's own thing.

http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

I too have been getting by fairly well with AVG.

Avira free version missing the e-mail scanner is something of a concern though it shouldn't be a problem for anyone not opening strange emails. Next time i get sick of AVG i think i will move over to Avira.

Viper_Baritone said:
until recently i went with AVG for customer machines too, but lately ive swapped over to this one

http://download.cnet.com/Avira-Anti...l-10322935&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=10986298

at least as good as AVG, but takes up significantly less of your system's resources

cheers
Gavin

I have to agree with Viper and Minus on this one...I've used both avira and avg and I was pleased with both of them. First avg, then avira and then back to avg; after each change I scanned my pc and found nothing so either both are excellent or both stink, but since everyone says they're good, I'd go for the former.

I used AVG for ages, but recently it completely failed me in stopping a virus, so I changed to Avast (also free) and to date its been very impressive catching loads of things AVG never noticed. AVG do/did provide a root kit scanner which seems good, but I've gone right off the virus scanner.

Recently I switched to Rising Antivirus. I've been suitably impressed with it so far.

For GNU/Linux users, I suggest a mix of ClamAV (anti-virus), Tripwire (post intrusion detection - very, very useful tool), Snort (excels at network intrusion detection), and Iptables (simple yet powerful firewall).

I would suggest AVG as your antivirus application and i would suggest Comodo Internet Security as your firewall. Both these applications are free and firly ease to use and configure. :)

jasmin said:
Does anyone know of a decent anti-virus software that is free and fairly idiot proof?

Thanks
J

The best anti-virus you can get is called AVAST anti-virus. AVG slows down your computer to a crawl especially when it's scanning. It also takes up a lot space and not healthy for your computer.

AVAST will scan stuff other anti-viruses don't like bit torrent, instant messangers etc. Everything is built in to scan the latest software and it automatically updates. It's also something you can register, even the free version which is what I use. I highly recommend it.

Try AVG or Avast........
They are the best free Antivirus.........

I have used both AVG and also AVIRA but i think AVG is much better than AVIRA. In using AVG I felt like my pc was a bit slow but it was good. And while using AVIRA it could't clean up that much that AVG could. So i got back to using AVG now.

Latest posts

Back