ALL Kitchen

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwasaloverb4thiswar

Reaction score
It has come to my attention that there are quite a few of us who like to cook at a range of skill levels. Here is a place where we could all share our favorite recipes, get inspired, and/or ask advice!

I'll start by sharing two of my FAVORITE food blogs. Forwarning; not for the faint of heart or the chronically hungry!

http://www.tastespotting.com/

This one is more simple/southern style fare but soooo good. Check the archives on the left hand side for some good eats.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/

Ok, so for those of you who always though oatmeal cookies had a lot of potential but thought it was dumb to put raisens in them, here's a recipie for you.

My mom got this recipie for chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal from the New York times back in 1992 which compared Hillary Clinton's cookies with Barbara Bush's. These are Clinton's, and whether you like her or not, her cookies rock the house (but they won't be rocking the white house anytime soon BADA BING!!!!!! ;))

Hillary Clinton's Chocolate Chip Cookies:

INGREDIENTS

Vegatable oil for baking sheets
3/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup solid vegatable shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
3/2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Grease baking sheets
3. Combine flour, salt and baking soda on wax paper
4. Beat together shortening, sugars and vanilla extract in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and beat them until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture and rolled oats then stir in chocolate chips.
5. Drop batter with well rounded table spoon onto baking sheets and bake 8-10 mins.
6. Cool cookies on sheets for 2 mins. then put them on your wire racks to cool them completley.

Chompy-Chomp Black Bean Soup

(Adopted/Adapted from David Ansel's The Soup Peddler's Slow and Difficult Soups)

Except, it's not actually slow or difficult :) This is a pretty simple one, and it can get as fancy as you want it, or not if you are looking for a quick lunch. Especially nice for cold weather since it's thick and rich. This recipe is theoretically serves 4, but in my family that usually equates to two, so I double it. Extras freeze well for you single folks.

Ingredients:

2 Tbs vegetable/olive oil
1 medium sized yellow/white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 Tbs ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 15oz can of diced tomatoe
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained
salt

Directions:
Coat bottom of soup pot with oil and saute onion and garlic on medium high for about 5-10 min.
Add cumin and cayenne and stir in until blended, you should be smelling it very strongly at this point.
Add the tomatoes WITH juices and black beans and bring to a strong simmer...I like to let it just sit for about 20 min.

Now, here is where you can make it fancy...you have a few options at this point... 1. eat as is, which if you diced the garilc/onions well should be good. 2. If you have an immersion blender (handheld) or just a regular old blender, you can puree a portion to give the soup a thicker texture. 3. Puree the whole soup to make it reaaallly smooth (my favorite)

If you like things spicy and are trying to chase away the winter cold, try subsituting half of the vegetable oil with some chilli oil and/or add more cayenne. What's nice about this is that the portions do not need to be exact, play with it to enhance the flavors you like best.

Serve hot with some creme fresh or sour creme, diced onions, chives or cheese. Enjoy!

Texas Red Chili

1/4 lb. suet, bacon drippings, or vegetable oil
6 lbs. lean beef, coarsely cubed
1 cup chili powder (about 4 1/2 oz)
2 Tbsp crushed cumin seeds or ground cumin
2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp salt
1 - 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 qts. beef stock or canned beef broth
1/2 cup masa harina or cornmeal
1/2 cup cold water

Fry suet until crisp. Then add beef, about 1 lb at a time, and brown, stirring as it cooks. Remove each pound after browning. When all meat is browned, return it to kettle and add seasonings and beef stock or broth. Cover and simmer 2 hrs. Skim off fat. Combine masa or cornmeal and water and stir thoroughly into chili. Simmer 30 min. Makes about 3-3/4 qts.

Not for those that feel that chili has to have beans or that the beef has to be ground.

Okay i cheated :)

http://www.alonelylife.com/lets-share-recipes-t-4455-3.html#pid69876

Minus said:
Texas Red Chili

1/4 lb. suet, bacon drippings, or vegetable oil
6 lbs. lean beef, coarsely cubed
1 cup chili powder (about 4 1/2 oz)
2 Tbsp crushed cumin seeds or ground cumin
2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp salt
1 - 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 qts. beef stock or canned beef broth
1/2 cup masa harina or cornmeal
1/2 cup cold water

Fry suet until crisp. Then add beef, about 1 lb at a time, and brown, stirring as it cooks. Remove each pound after browning. When all meat is browned, return it to kettle and add seasonings and beef stock or broth. Cover and simmer 2 hrs. Skim off fat. Combine masa or cornmeal and water and stir thoroughly into chili. Simmer 30 min. Makes about 3-3/4 qts.

Not for those that feel that chili has to have beans or that the beef has to be ground.

Okay i cheated :)

http://www.alonelylife.com/lets-share-recipes-t-4455-3.html#pid69876

oh! *feels dumb that this was already a thread* :s

Oh not at all iwasaloverb4thiswar

x0vfo3.jpg

Here is one that will cause your heart to explode.

Cheese version

Sausage version

Oh, wonderful topic!

Does anyone remember the recipe for a cake that was popular where I lived in the 70's? It was a rich chocolate cake, that when baked, the bottom was pudding, and the top was cake. It needed No icing! During baking it separated out into pudding and cake. It was popular enough that one of the big companies made a packaged cake mix line called Pudding Cakes for a while and later dropped it.

I really would love to find the recipe again!

bee lover

I seem to recall a pudding filled cake though i don't know that it is the same one you are asking about.

Bee_Lover said:
... It was a rich chocolate cake, that when baked, the bottom was pudding, and the top was cake. It needed No icing! During baking it separated out into pudding and cake....

Is this close?

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

2236805791_07fea1b2c0.jpg

...This cake defies the laws of science and common sense...

...a sinfully decadent chocolate cake on top of a pool of a silky smooth fudge sauce on the bottom...

Click for link

Van Hooligan X said:
POT NOODLE:

tear lid off, open and put the soy sauce in, boil kettle, pour hot water into pot noodle, get SPOON...not a fuckign folk you retards, eat, realise you just ate something non-edible.

Finally - *Throw up*

I had never heard of it. Looks like a "cup o' noodles" type thing.

Pot Noodle UK's most hated brand

Savoury snack Pot Noodle has been voted the UK's most hated brand in a new survey.

The product - which used the slogan "the slag of all snacks" in previous adverts - scored particularly badly among women.

It just beat home shopping channel QVC as the country's least liked brand in the poll of almost 11,000 consumers for the trade magazine Marketing.

Full Story

Well, being Hispanic....One of the favorite things I make is a breakfast burrito made from Chorizo and scrambled eggs and fried potatoes. It is really really good, but do not read the package of Chorizo ( mexican spicy sausage), if you want to still like it! lol
Take one package of Chorizo and split into 2 pans (one for the eggs and one for the potatoes)
Add your potatoes and fry with the sausage til soft and done,
Mix your scrambled eggs mixture with chorizo in the seperate pan and cook just like you would scrambled eggs.
When both pans are done put a little of each mixture in a warm tortilla and roll up. Super Good!
I take the leftovers and make burritoes and then wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze, you just pop them out of the freezer into the microwave and boom you have an instant meal.
My kids LOVE this stuff!

punisher said:
Excellent! I shall give it go :D

Could you have misread the instructions? It doesn't seem to look just quite right.

es20yx.jpg

Latest posts

Back