Who here have (OR DOESN'T) low self-esteem / confidence because of their looks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-One

Reaction score
If so, are you all planning to have cosmetic surgery or go to the gym some day?

Personally I plan to do both.

I added the word DOESN'T to the original question. So if it's not your looks, then post here too!

Oh jeebus, I do.

I'll be going to the gym again in about a week...since it's a PE credit for my college courses. I like it though, makes me feel good. And since it's warming up I'll probably start making more use of our equipment at work (it's out in the truck bay so it's cold in the winter :().

My biggest source of self loathing is my smile. My teeth aren't necessarily crooked, but they're pretty cramped and so some of them are partially behind others, and while it's not visually noticeable, my bite doesn't sit very well. I've considered going in for braces...I'd like to. But it's pretty expensive, and it'd be about two years of the same self consciousness (or worse) due to the braces themselves before I could get them off and be normal looking.

Yep. My biggest problem is my weight.

I just joined up with Weight Watchers last week, going to try to lose 150 pounds. I am very heavy right now, to the point that it is extremely embarassing :(

The-One said:
Who here have low self-esteem / confidence because of their looks

Definitely low self-esteem. I look like a mutant opossum that has been run over a few times and left rotting on the side of the road for a week. I was never happy with my looks, in fact i pretty much hated it and i have no doubt that it had an effect on me but i believe that in my case the low self-esteem is more deeply rooted then that and in part a cause of that. In my case i doubt that cosmetic surgery would eliminate the self-esteem problem. Seems unlikely that a gym would either since i used to be in shape and still found fault with the way i looked. As i got older it did seem to become less of a concern.

Oh yeah. Big time. I've been going to the gym pretty steadily for a while, and have managed to shed around fifty pounds.

Thirty more pounds and we'll see if it helps.

Yeh I have issues bout my looks (not shy or anything but some strange inferiority complexes), and planning for a cosmetic surgery though people say its all BS stuff n I look good, but I am not satisfied. I go to gym and my metabolism is strange that I can gain weight fast and lose it even faster, so thats not a big problem.

Acne sufferer since the age of 14. I've been on Accutane (a rather heavy duty drug) on two separate occasions, the second one I incurred a rare side effect that caused some serious problems that make me even more self-conscious. It's also not like the acne is on a face that would look good if the acne was gone. Squinty eyes, a crooked nose, buck teeth...I'm pretty ugly. Also a bit overweight. So yeah I'd say my looks have contributed greatly to my low self-esteem.

I have a big nose with a severe septal deviation. I am also very embarassed with my body.
I plan to correct both, but that will be hard.

Sanal said:
Yeh I have issues bout my looks (not shy or anything but some strange inferiority complexes), and planning for a cosmetic surgery though people say its all BS stuff n I look good, but I am not satisfied. I go to gym and my metabolism is strange that I can gain weight fast and lose it even faster, so thats not a big problem.

It IS bullshit... Wish you could see that too.

There's only one thing I've ever had low self-esteem about, and that's the boobs. Lol yup, I wanted bigger ones for a long long LONG time.
Now I realise I should be happy with what I got. Not only happy, but ******* grateful.
I don't have to deal with back pain, sagginess, stretch marks, discomfort when jogging and bra straps that dig into my shoulders.
And since my Estrogen level is low I should be at less risk of getting breast cancer.

My mum getting breast cancer was a real wake-up call.
With small tits at least I should be able to discover a lump at stage one rather than stage two or three, should I ever experience this.
So fresia it, my tits are great just the way they are lol.

There's far more important things in life than having plastic surgery to try to feel better about yourself...

What are you gonna do when the plastic surgery goes wrong, and you DO look like honeysuckle?
What the fresia are you gonna do then?
Yeah, come talk to me about not being happy about your looks when that happens...
If celebrities with all the money in the world can't even get it right, what makes you think you can?

Oceanmist23 said:
There's only one thing I've ever had low self-esteem about, and that's the boobs. Lol yup, I wanted bigger ones for a long long LONG time.
Now I realise I should be happy with what I got. Not only happy, but ******* grateful.
I don't have to deal with back pain, sagginess, stretch marks, discomfort when jogging and bra straps that dig into my shoulders.
And since my Estrogen level is low I should be at less risk of getting breast cancer.

Plus some men (me, for example) actually like smaller boobs on a woman. I don't know why. It's just a thing.

Oceanmist23 said:
There's far more important things in life than having plastic surgery to try to feel better about yourself...

What are you gonna do when the plastic surgery goes wrong, and you DO look like honeysuckle?
What the fresia are you gonna do then?
Yeah, come talk to me about not being happy about your looks when that happens...
If celebrities with all the money in the world can't even get it right, what makes you think you can?

True. Plus, once you go down the road of thinking you can change what you don't like you will be forever looking in the mirror and seeing things to change. Before you know it, you'll be looking in the mirror thinking 'I look great' while everyone else thinks 'what a freak'.

Having said that, I would like to sort my teeth out. They really are a mess. Being conscious of a bad smile means that every time something makes you laugh or smile the moment is tainted with self-consciousness.

Nyktimos said:
Plus some men (me, for example) actually like smaller boobs on a woman. I don't know why. It's just a thing.

Very true! ;)

Nyktimos said:
True. Plus, once you go down the road of thinking you can change what you don't like you will be forever looking in the mirror and seeing things to change. Before you know it, you'll be looking in the mirror thinking 'I look great' while everyone else thinks 'what a freak'.

Again, very true!

Nyktimos said:
Having said that, I would like to sort my teeth out. They really are a mess. Being conscious of a bad smile means that every time something makes you laugh or smile the moment is tainted with self-consciousness.

Hey I agree when it comes to teeth!
Sorting out your teeth is way different in my eyes from cutting away pieces of skin or shoving a load of plastic underneath it...
I had braces in my teens cos my teeth were so messed up, overbite from hell lol.
So when it comes to fixing teeth I'm all for it.

Brian said:
Oh jeebus, I do.

I'll be going to the gym again in about a week...since it's a PE credit for my college courses. I like it though, makes me feel good. And since it's warming up I'll probably start making more use of our equipment at work (it's out in the truck bay so it's cold in the winter :().

My biggest source of self loathing is my smile. My teeth aren't necessarily crooked, but they're pretty cramped and so some of them are partially behind others, and while it's not visually noticeable, my bite doesn't sit very well. I've considered going in for braces...I'd like to. But it's pretty expensive, and it'd be about two years of the same self consciousness (or worse) due to the braces themselves before I could get them off and be normal looking.

Invisiline are a good alternative to braces. They are clear, and they kind of slip onto your teeth. So you won't have those stupid little prongy things or brackets or spacers jammed in between your teeth or stupid wire poking you in the back of your cheek. -_-

Not to mention, sometimes the cement can stain your teeth. So you'll have little stupid squares on the fronts of all your teeth where they place those stupid little wire holders. They didn't stain my teeth, but sometimes they do. I'm glad they didn't stain mine, because I had braces for 5 years, 4 of which I didn't have a retarded wire in, and I never got my bottom ones put in. Spacers and brackets were jammed into my gums for no freaking reason. And then the Asian girl kept scraping my gums when I finally went to get the rest taken off after I had taken pliers and pulled everything I could the fresia off.

Oh, and don't get a chicken wrap from KFC for about a 2 weeks after you get them on. You won't be able to eat it.

Btw, my one single tooth went back to being slightly crooked. So none of it freaking mattered. :|

Boobies !!!
Did someone mention boobies ?
I hope I don't have boobies and some men find them attractive on me :(

I used to have a lot of problems with self image... i still do to a certain degree
but I don't entertain those thoughts too often, it's not as if you're going to see me on Entertainment Tonight
anytime soon.

I've been blessed with straight teeth and a decent smile.
My body is fairly in good shape at the moment ...I don't have a gut belly..becuase that was my poor body image.
I thought I was too fat..even for a dude. I only wieght 110 lb at one piont in my life..and i thought
I was fat. I wore size 28 waist slim fit jeans and they were baggie on me. The only place i could
fine pants to fit me were in the kiddie's section. A lot of people say i was too skinny but I thought
I was fat everytime i looked in the mirrow.

I'm 5'7" For an asian dude..I'm average height and I'm taller then half of the guys I know.
My maximum wieght is 155lb to be consider fat..I'm stable at 135-140 at the moment.
I actaully have a nice tan olvie skin tone all year round...
I'm not hairy or have hair on my back..lol
I'm not balb..the hair on my head grows fast....
I had a gray streak on the right side of my head from a very young age...I married a phyco *****. lmao That's when
those gray came it...I thought it was cool actaully...I looked like a demon child when i grow my hair down
to my ass. I have no tattos or peerings on my body...For a head banger dude..I'm Mr. Fucken clean..lmao
Some women find me attractive. Mostly phyco bitches...:p
I can still stroll on a beach topless and look cool today.

Most of my poor self-esteem came from discrimination through out my life.
It effected me alot as a kid...I was the only fucken asian kid (dude) in school for the longest time.
Of course my sisters were beautiful asian chicks every white dude wants to get thier hands on.

Even to this day...the same problem still remains...One of wegges between my ex-gf or any EX
I've been with, is...thier family are biggots. I've only date white women...becuase i live where
the fucken white people live...lmao
Some white people still give me fucken dirty stairs...when they see me with a white phyco *****.
Will...fucken ass-holes, I'm applying the fucken living well is the best form of revenage.
Evidently...those living codes arn't reserved for second class dickheads like me...lmao
but bro...please give me a break...the fucken ***** is driving up the fucken wall.

I'm your #1 second class citizen bitches...lol.
"ya wan sum fie lice wit ya wan ton N nooduu, Ho..................(on)".lmao
"Me chineee me mak it jok..me go pee pee in U fuckin coke"
" Phucket wit me..I ko gon Ho on U ass...
Bruces Mi Willies it my cussson. Him Kung Fu E a tatoo on U ass too"
" chuck can num u fucken ballz"

My step father is white...and mother is his beautiful china doll everyone talks about...FFS.
I feel like a fucken bannanananannana....fucken white on the inside and yellow on the outside..lol
I'm thai....
I'm not fucken Tiger Woods....with yellow and black fucken stripes...

I can't change the color of my fucken skin However, I think there's a white dude with a PHD
that will convience me I can...All I have to do is take an ACID BATH and sign over my fucken
checking account...Lmao

BOOBIES!!!
4.gif

Intermittent strabismus is the biggest negative, and I haven't planned on surgery (don't think there's even a reliable cure for it). I still have pretty good esteem about my looks overall, though. I've had people all my life to basically express to me (in one way or another) that I'm good looking.

It's funny how I can look at myself in the mirror for minutes and minutes and feel like it's nothing I have because there's no wandering. It makes me question how severe the issue really is.

VanillaCreme said:
Invisiline are a good alternative to braces. They are clear, and they kind of slip onto your teeth. So you won't have those stupid little prongy things or brackets or spacers jammed in between your teeth or stupid wire poking you in the back of your cheek. -_-

I consulted with the dentist briefly the last time I went in for a cleaning...apparently mine are too severe for invisalign, because I asked about it. :\ If I was a candidate for invasalign I would have scheduled for it then and there.

well i have acne scars but i dont mind those ... i do have uneven eyes like this girl

b58316951.jpg
too bad i cant use eye makeup . im looking in to getting some duble eyelid tape to fix the problem though

Sanal said:
Oceanmist23 said:

BOOBIES!!!
4.gif

MINE ALL MINE LOL

Lol.

Brian said:
VanillaCreme said:

I consulted with the dentist briefly the last time I went in for a cleaning...apparently mine are too severe for invisalign, because I asked about it. :\ If I was a candidate for invasalign I would have scheduled for it then and there.

Oh wow, actually, I thought invisaline were taking over and replacing braces. I pray that your braces journey will be much better than mine. You might also have to consider I had a mom who paid the 5,000 dollars to get them, yet she's the one who also told me to take out the wire and never took me back to Cherry Hill to have another wire put back in. -_-

Latest posts

Back