How to fight depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
Here are the five levels of depression and how to fight them.

Lv 1 - Very slight depression is almost unconscious, but it can still have a profound effect over time.

My remedies: Do something you love like watching stand-up comedy, make sure you have a full stomach of healthy food, phone or email people.

Lv 2 - This is the loneliness stage. Very likely to lead to other forms of depression, but if nipped in the bud immediately it can quickly fade.

My remedies: Make sure you exercise often. Join societies. Make sure your sleep is regular. Buy yourself a little something. Use music effectively to shape your mood, and remember that smiling at other people makes you feel better too.

Lv 3 - The "life is meaningless" stage.

My remedies: Buy yourself a sunlamp. Make a schedule for your life, something easy to keep to, that will see you through this. Manage your energies so that they are spent on positive things rather than negative or time-wasting things: avoiding exhaustion is key. Try and see a friend - explain to them you need cheering up and they should understand.

Lv 4 - The "my life is terrible" stage.

My remedies: OK, at this point therapy becomes a good idea. Also, anti-depressants. If you have family, this is the time that they're needed. Make lists of all the positive things you've done in your life. Take a holiday if you need it. Above all, remember that YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE. Try not to dwell on things, and remember that what is happening to you won't seem like such a big deal in a little while.

Lv 5 - The "I should just kill myself" stage.

My remedies: Surround yourself with people at whatever cost. When I'm suicidal, I won't even sleep in my own room. If you don't have people to surround yourself with and you think you're suicidal (hopefully the therapist you got from Lev 4 should be aware of this) then book yourself in to somewhere that will help you. Up your meds, and drop everything in your life that isn't absolutely necessary - your job, your education - while surrounding yourself with the things that are important to you.

Some things I do NOT find helpful while depressed:

1. DON'T throw yourself into work.
2. DON'T start keeping a journal, as it will inevitably become dark.
3. DON'T change your lovelife - love and depression are a bad combo.
4. DON'T travel without people you can talk to about anything.
5. DON'T focus on a specific goal to change things, as it may fail.

I will update with others' suggestions, clarifications, etc.

EDIT:
1. Lonesome Crow has quite rightly said that alcohol should be avoided. This applies of course to other substances as well.

Like you fight everything else, with a chainsaw and sawed off shotgun... or is that for fighting zombies....?

little_buddha said:

YMMV, but for my me, work helps distract from the depression.
I don't know that's I'd start keeping a journal at that point, but I'd certainly continue. A journal is the only thing that gives me hope things will turn around again by looking back at how previous episodes lifted.
Which lovelife is that ;)
I TOTALLY AGREE.
hmmmmm

Oh well, 1 out of 5 ain't bad. We're all wired differently.
olg

Excellent thread, LB. :D I hope others can learn something from it. Sound, well-thought advice. :)

I perfer Mind Numbing SEX.

Ain't nothing like bloode rushing out of my head to stop me from thinking so god **** much.
I focus on the beaver...another form of meditation.
It feels a whole hell better than pop'in pills when I have an orgasim....natural indorphine.
I get awsume excersize while I'm at it....Burn 5000 caleries getting hot and sweaty.
When she say..."fresia me hard like a ***** as I am"...releasing tension in a positive outlet.(stuffing my anger leads to depression.)
After sex...I just roll over and fall sleep. Excellent rest without tossing and turning ..not unless she wants more..more..more.

Lonesome Crow said:

Ain't nothing like bloode rushing out of my head to stop me from thinking so god **** much.
It feels a whole hell better than pop'in pills when I have an orgasim....natural indorphine.
I get awsume excersize while I'm at it....Burn 5000 caleries getting hot and sweaty.
When she say..."fresia me hard like a ***** as I am"...releasing tension in a positive outlet.(stuffing my anger leads to depression.)
After sex...I just roll over and fall sleep. Excellent rest without tossing and turning ..not unless she wants more..more..more.

:D

wont' do much for the sexually frustrated though..

little_buddha said:

Lv 1 - Very slight depression is almost unconscious, but it can still have a profound effect over time.

My remedies: Do something you love like watching stand-up comedy, make sure you have a full stomach of healthy food, phone or email people.

Lv 2 - This is the loneliness stage. Very likely to lead to other forms of depression, but if nipped in the bud immediately it can quickly fade.

My remedies: Make sure you exercise often. Join societies. Make sure your sleep is regular. Buy yourself a little something. Use music effectively to shape your mood, and remember that smiling at other people makes you feel better too.

Lv 3 - The "life is meaningless" stage.

My remedies: Buy yourself a sunlamp. Make a schedule for your life, something easy to keep to, that will see you through this. Manage your energies so that they are spent on positive things rather than negative or time-wasting things: avoiding exhaustion is key. Try and see a friend - explain to them you need cheering up and they should understand.

Lv 4 - The "my life is terrible" stage.

My remedies: OK, at this point therapy becomes a good idea. Also, anti-depressants. If you have family, this is the time that they're needed. Make lists of all the positive things you've done in your life. Take a holiday if you need it. Above all, remember that YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE. Try not to dwell on things, and remember that what is happening to you won't seem like such a big deal in a little while.

Lv 5 - The "I should just kill myself" stage.

My remedies: Surround yourself with people at whatever cost. When I'm suicidal, I won't even sleep in my own room. If you don't have people to surround yourself with and you think you're suicidal (hopefully the therapist you got from Lev 4 should be aware of this) then book yourself in to somewhere that will help you. Up your meds, and drop everything in your life that isn't absolutely necessary - your job, your education - while surrounding yourself with the things that are important to you.

I will update with others' suggestions, clarifications, etc.

I was at level 3 and reached the suicidal stage within a few days. It was the most horrific thing that's happened to me in a long time.

Things are a lot better now though. Seeing a therapist, upped the meds, getting plenty of sunshine. Life is okay again. :)

Thanks for the tips. Do you mind me copying and pasting them to my online journal? I'll keep the entry private so that only I can see it. I just really need reminders sometimes...

- e.

The-One said:
Lonesome Crow said:

:D

wont' do much for the sexually frustrated though..

Ok...I forgot the most imortant thing...

Don't fucken drink Alcohol...Alcohol is a fucken depressent and it'll make you depressed even if you wern't depressed.
Drugs...too

That's why some of the honeysuckle seems all fucken retarded and half ass backwards if you have a wet brain.

one lonely guy said:
little_buddha said:

YMMV, but for my me, work helps distract from the depression.
I don't know that's I'd start keeping a journal at that point, but I'd certainly continue. A journal is the only thing that gives me hope things will turn around again by looking back at how previous episodes lifted.
Which lovelife is that ;)
I TOTALLY AGREE.
hmmmmm

Oh well, 1 out of 5 ain't bad. We're all wired differently.
olg

OK, I am going to attempt to justify them when applied to the general populace:

1. Increased work may add to the stress of that person, and is generally a bad idea.
2. Yeah, notice I said "start": a lot of people for some reason become more introverted and start keeping an LJ of their depression etc. which is just a terrible idea.
3. I don't feel that we essentially disagree here ...
5. This is really like saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket". Focusing on one option is just fine, as long as ancillary choices are available.

Peace, LB

Unacceptance said:
Lonesome Crow said:

You're mind numbing whether there is sex or not.

Thank you...I take pride in numbing your hopless wet mind. :p
You can't get enough of me, just admit it.lol
I'm you're fantasy...your everlasting fullfillment.
Once you had a tasted of me..there's no evading me.
You can run but you can't hide...you're my host of ultimate elation.
Your soul belongs to me..you can't unaccept Truth.
I'm the poison in your glass...par take of me.
There's no escaping me, I'm your hugleburry.
I'm all that you hate and all your needs
You can't get enough of me, just admit it
You won't get enough of me, just admit it
You wish you'd have enough of me, just admit it

I think work can be a helpful distraction if you enjoy your work.

I think what well work for one person may not for another. Different strokes for different folks an all that.

I think this well be helpful to some :) Dose make it moor clear how depressed a person actually is and the seriousness of it. Cos when your feeling like crap some time you don't realise in tell after just how for down you was.

little_buddha said:
OK, I am going to attempt to justify them when applied to the general populace
I don't think you have to, but thanks for taking the time. Everone's different, and every situation is different.
As Bluey said,
Bluey said:
I think what well work for one person may not for another. Different strokes for different folks an all that.

little_buddha said:

Lv 1 - ...
Just curious... what is your source? Just would like to know, as this is being presented as though it's authoritative info.
Or are these your 5 levels.

thanks..olg

i agree about the no journaling and no alcohol. those are things which will 1.) lengthen the depression and 2.) just plain destabilize you making everything much hard to sort out.

I've recently STOPPED journaling, i used to do it every day when I felt sad. And now i feel better =)

Good thread LB

n_n

Actaully I work the 12 steps program.
No drugs and alcohol of course...

Lots and lots of writting, journaling...they're just suggestions.

Doing a moral inventory of myself takes a lot of writting and answering striaght forward questions.
By writting anything and everything as honest as I can about myself (leave no stones unturned).
My resentments...to whom, where, and why and how i react or feel about it.
My sex inventory...whom i messed, where i messed them and how I messed them and why i messed them..:p
My fresia YOU list: Whom I hurted, why I hurted them, where I hurted them and how I felt about hurting people.
My hopes and dreams. What I want, what I don't want, where I want it and how i want it served.lol
My assests and my liablities. My guilt shame, remose, pains, secrets.......all of it.
My fucken lies, manipulatons to whom, where, when and why.
My buttons...my triggers..What makes me ticks. What makes me react...(who, what, when, where and fucken why)
Yeap, a can of fucken worms...but it is the truth...and the truth will set me free.
Looking into the depth of hell into the eyes of a stranger... ME....
GETTING TO KNOW ME AND ACCEPTING MYSELF...ALL OF ME...The good, the bad, the ugly, the evil and the loving.

Then I have to go share all of it with another human being. Admit all of my fucken wrongs
to god , me and another person...Yeap, naked as can be. Nothing to fucken hide anymore.
Gut renching. Fear facing....heart thumping, tears running down of my face.
My Fucken Wrongs....not anyone else.

Then I have to make a list of all the peaple I hurted and harmed.(myself included..I like hurting myself)
Then I have to go make amends...restitutions for all the fucken wreckage and pains I've cuased
in people's lives...Becuase talk is fucken cheap. I can no longer just say I'm fucken sorry for the thousand
of times I've done in the past The only son of a ***** that's going to hold me accountiable is me, for all
the consequences I rendered. It smashes the honeysuckle out of my fucken ego. I become condiserate of others.
I'm fucken manning up and growning the fresia up. Changing myself and my messed up life.
I still have to make amends to fucken people that hurted me....
It's my fucken side of the street I'm trying to clean.
In the process...I learn how to repect myself and others with dignity.
In the process I learn about compassion for myself and others.
It's an experince...the experince. The knowing. The healing process and experince that hits me at the core of
my being.

It might not be for the faint of hearts. My ass falls off. I kick and scream through it all like a fucken child
becuase a part of me dosn't what to grow the fresia up or CHANGE.
I know this. I wrote about it in my fucken inventory in black and white...plane as fucken day.
My behvior patterns or living patterns..There's a fucken pattern...That's why I write..So I can see.
Not lying to myself. MY truth. No more living in fucken denial. If I fucken forget..All I need to do is
open up my journal to remind me who the fresia I am and what I'm still capiable of doing. The fucken truth.
I feel everything...All of my pains, fears, anger, hate, happiness, triumphs.
If I keep a journal..I will also see the progress I've made...I'm not exactly the same sorry son of a *****
I was many years ago.

Through it all...I learn how to live in my own skin...I learn to clean up my fucken mess.
I learn how to trust peaple. I learn how not to hurt people intensionally or unintensionally.
I learn to forgive myself and others. I learn to move forward. I learn how to have courage.
I learn about integrity. I learn to have relationships with myself and others.
I learned how to love myself first and foremost. It's not the same as being a self-fish son of a *****.

The bonus is: I'm not depressed and I can sleep at night without pop'in fucken pills.
Becuase I'm not a fucken robot...I'm a human being having a human experince.
I don't have to runaway from my fucken problems today...I don't need to runaway from me today.
I love myself today. I can look at myself straight today. I'm taking my life back and not the fucken pills.
I can no longer afford the poor me, poor me....pour me another fucken drink, to numb the fresia out and checked the fresia out.

Latest posts

Back