A general question.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wolfshadow

Is praise less productive or, perhaps to use a better word, less motivational than criticism?

All opinions welcome.

If their use can be seen as any vague indication then that could be true especially in attempts to reduce a behavior.

Both praise and criticism are essential.

For instance, a work of art or a piece of writing from someone isn't always going to be perfect. Most of the time, there's something to improve upon, and that's where constructive criticism takes place. I don't believe in the saying, 'If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all.' I value honesty in all things and if someone were to say 'That's crap, Eileen', I would ask 'why?' but I wouldn't take offense to the original comment. If it's solely their opinion and can't back it up, chances are that I'd disregard it.

However, praise -- if genuine -- is appreciated. I like getting praised for the things I do and it motivates me to keep doing what I do best. I doubt that people like criticism for the sake of criticism or being judged all the time. The need for approval is vital to some people and in essence so is a sense of belonging, which I think relate to one another.

Take care,
- e.

sacrificed_ink said:
Both praise and criticism are essential.

For instance, a work of art or a piece of writing from someone isn't always going to be perfect. Most of the time, there's something to improve upon, and that's where constructive criticism takes place. I don't believe in the saying, 'If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all.' I value honesty in all things and if someone were to say 'That's crap, Eileen', I would ask 'why?' but I wouldn't take offense to the original comment. If it's solely their opinion and can't back it up, chances are that I'd disregard it.

However, praise -- if genuine -- is appreciated. I like getting praised for the things I do and it motivates me to keep doing what I do best. I doubt that people like criticism for the sake of criticism or being judged all the time. The need for approval is vital to some people and in essence so is a sense of belonging, which I think relate to one another.

Take care,
- e.

Good post and a very well rounded answer. I agree completely that the value of criticism plummets when it doesn't come from an educated or considered source. Whenever this has happened to me in the past, I have come away feeling annoyed and frustrated that I've been misunderstood rather than hurt.

Empty praise also has much the same affect on me as well if I'm completely honest, excepting the fact that it's always pleasant to enjoy the benefit of another's good will.

wolfshadow said:
Is praise less productive or, perhaps to use a better word, less motivational than criticism?

All opinions welcome.

From my own experiences in my field of work, you need both.

You must provide criticism (without being derogatory) so that people know how to improve. But you also need to provide praise so that people can know when they do something right, and hence keep doing that. It also boosts their morale to know that they are improving or performing well, and this will result in enhanced performance and happier people.

But, false praise -to make someone feel better- is harmful, just as criticism can be harmful if directed improperly; say, due to a personal dislike of an individual, or a grudge.

People respond differently to different forms of "praise" or "criticism."
And it's important how you use both. I don't like the word criticism. I don't like criticism as it's used by most people because it lacks understanding and emapthy and it's usually used from a standpoint of not wanting to help the person it's directed towards. Praise should be sincere and heart felt. What works best? Encouragement and validation, imo. You can help someone to see something that may not be serving them in a kind way.

wolfshadow said:

All opinions welcome.

It depends on the indiviual. The giver and receiver. It depends on the situation.

You can't beat it into me...that includes the fucken suger coated version.
If I as an indiviual that has fucken TRUST issues. Suger gave me high bloode pressure.lol
In other words..who in the fresia are you to manipulating me...in any ways ?
If you think you're better than me...then you can eat honeysuckle and die.
Don't fucken fix me. I don't want you to fucken fix me...
I don't give a fresia what comes out of your mouth....I can see how you act.
You can't give me what you don't fucken have.
If i chose to open up myself...just listen...just fucken listen. I'm trying to trust again.
I know I'm a major fresia up...You can't tell me what i don't already know or is willing to see.
If I want fucken advice...I'll go talk to my fucken lawer..*sighs*
If I want your honest opinion , I'll let you know...Trust me, I'll let you know.

BOY MEET GIRL...

BOY: "Hello, good looking" ( prise )
GIRL: Digging for pepper spray...(trust issues)
BOY: " chill the fresia out, *****" ( positive criticism )....:p

Well, from my experience (I've been in upper management for most of my working career), it really depends on the person on the receiving end. I've seen people who would work themselves near to death, just to hear that they were doing a good job. I've also seen people who, if given a compliment, would immediately start to slack off. I think a combination of both works well for most individuals. Knowing the personality of the person that you are trying to motivate, is key. I use this same technique on my little one. For example, when she washes her hands after going to the potty, I tell her how awesome it is that she cleaned her hands so well, but I also tell her to be careful not to splash water all over the place. :p lol, works on a three year old at least. :D
I'm not sure if you are asking for work purposes or personal/relationship type reasons, but if it's for work, go here:

http://www.managementstyle.net/

Hope that helps a bit. :p

FFS....Boobies is the ultimate motivator for a dude...At least I'm willing to admit it..:p
"I can tell the whole wide world to sholve it...Here comes my girl ". (Tom Petty)
Behind every good man is a good woman...:)

Nah...I don't work myself to death for a freaken praise..
I can get into serious codependcy issues whether it's at home or at work.

It's a fine line between in valuing myself as a person (not giving a fresia what people say, think or do).
And staying open.

Being a recovering perfectionist...I'm my own worst critic to beging with.
I don't take praise or compliments very well...The first thought that would cross my mind is...
What the fresia do you want from me ???....becuase all god **** day..that's what everybody
comes to me for....To get me to do something for them

Money talks , bullshit walks. Show me the fucken money.
Love is a four letter word. Show me your love....Show me the boobies..:p

Both can be good. However, praise is something you tend to get once you've already accomplished, and therefore don't need motivation to finish.

EveWasFramed said:
I've seen people who would work themselves near to death, just to hear that they were doing a good job.

Lol...that's me :p

I dunno why it's satisfying. Makes me feel like I'm actually earning my wage and being part of the team instead of a leech.

That used to really piss me off when I worked on the brush crew. I was the only worker out of sometimes a crew of 6 who would bust ass enough to have the boss say 'hey, thanks for working so hard today.' Some of them were outright lazy. There was another worker, the boss's other main guy besides me, who had his good days. If the boss started busting ass, he would follow. But it's hard for Jeremy (the boss) to work his ass off every single day when almost everyone else is just hanging on to whatever he's doing instead of taking their own initiative. That's tiring.

If all the others tried as hard as I did, do you know what we could have done? I was setting work up for us, too. I knew everyone's approximate hourly cost, factoring in equipment and drive time. I saw the pay tagged on to our work orders and knew what we made on the private jobs. And I know Jeremy. If we'd been able to do more than just barely scrape by on every job, we'd have made more than we did...Jeremy paid us well. But if the crew had finished jobs to a standard of company profitability instead of just earning their wage, so to speak, there would -definitely- have been pay bonuses.

Sometimes whoever we were doing a job for would give us an extra $50 or something. Jeremy never kept that. He would divide it up and give it -all- to his best workers. Sometimes he'd keep a little...once or twice I gave him part of my share later. But that could've been a regular thing for everyone if we just had some people worth their salt.

I've always been extremely grateful toward whoever I'm working for to have a job. I know in every field there's other people they could've chosen besides me...so I should validate that choice. Otherwise I'm a liar.

Latest posts

Back