Double Depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EveWasFramed

I ran across an article that I thought might be helpful for some of our members. I'd never heard of "Double Depression" before, yet I've seen some of these very symptoms described in threads by some of A Lonely Life's forum members. The article is a couple of years old, and I was dubious about one or two of the facts stated in it, but I still think it might prove useful.
Feel free to post thoughts and opinions as well as experiences.
Good reading...

Dealing With Double Depression
How to Cope With Feelings of Hopelessness and Isolation
© Laurie Pawlik-Kienlen

Jul 28, 2007
Double depression is dysthymia plus major depression. One sign of this depression is hopelessness - and here are some treatment options for this type of depression.

Double depression is a combination of dysthymia and major depression, and includes feelings of extreme hopelessness and isolation. Hopelessness is one of many signs of regular depression, but psychology professor Thomas Joiner of Florida State University identified extreme hopelessness as a key factor in double depression.

What is Double Depression?
According to Science Daily, "Double depression occurs when an individual who suffers from dysthymia, a persistent case of mild depression marked by low energy, falls into a major depressive state."

Psychologists aren't as familiar with double depression as they are with dysthymia or mild-to-moderate depression. Joiner's research could help psychologists, psychiatrists, and other therapists diagnose and treat double depression.

Double Depression is More Difficult to Treat
"[Double depression] is clinically important because it is under-recognized and harder to treat than either dysthymia or major depression themselves," says Joiner. "The hopelessness result is significant, and it suggests that therapists should especially focus on this feature early and often in the treatment of double-depressed patients."

When psychologists or other therapists don't recognize double depression, they have a hard time treating it. Depression itself is highly treatable especially with the right combination of therapies (lifestyle, counseling, nutrition, sleep, medication).

Double Depression: Coping With Feelings of Hopelessness
Helping depressed people is difficult because they've given up. Depressed people feel bleak – it's them against the world and they don't have the energy to fight. Double-depressed individuals' feelings of hopelessness are magnified, making treatment even more difficult. They don't feel like they're in control, nor do they have the will to take their power back.

Other signs of depression include low self-esteem, persistent feelings of sadness, changes in sleeping and eating habits, withdrawal from friends and family, substance abuse, and suicidal thoughts.

Treatments for Double Depression
Feeling as if you belong is huge in overcoming depressive states, whether it's dysthymia or double depression. Having a strong social support system is one of the key factors in overcoming depression – and that doesn't mean having lots of friends or a huge supportive family. Feeling as if you belong simply means knowing what your place is in your community, home, workplace, family or city.

The best treatment for depression is the standard "see your doctor." Exactly how you'll get better depends on the factors leading up to your depression (a loss, illness, new baby, etc). You may simply need to change your diet or increase the amount of sunlight you get – or you may need more in-depth treatment like antidepressants or weekly counseling sessions.

FFS Eve, stop taking my inventory and stop writing about me...:(
yeah...I had the triple D going as you know...relationship break up...death and more freaken death
I find attending my meetings very, very helpful. Except somtimes I run into my freaken ex-gf sometimes.

You forgot to put MORE SEXUAL HEALING in there...YSB :p

Lonesome Crow said:

lol, sorry dear, I'll try to refrain from singling you out. :p Silly.

EveWasFramed said:
Lonesome Crow said:

Rub it in...rub it in...U know I'm single too :(
Now I'm really freaken depressed.
Now I really need Sunshine. She wears size D. I belong in her life.

Lonesome Crow said:
EveWasFramed said:
Lonesome Crow said:

Rub it in...rub it in...U know I'm single too :(
Now I'm really freaken depressed.
Now I really need Sunshine. She wears size D. I belong in her life.

lmao@ sunshine

Wow, I had no idea that dysthymia even existed ... yet it seems obvious that I have been suffering from it. I think perhaps I get double depression as in, seasonal affective disorder plus dysthymia. During summer I am definitely better, but not much: I have made the decision to go onto medication for the next few years at least.
1. For lengthy periods I'll sleep 12 hours, others 6. I suffer constantly from insomnia and "going round again", when I skip sleep to catch up sleeping hours.
2. I no longer have the energy to go to the gymn, or cancel membership. I have put on weight because of this.
3. Yet sometimes I have periods of energy.
4. I have a terrible self-image, as you know hence my forehead-scar.
5. I can't finish a book nowadays.
6. I can't make decisions when I'm on set any more.
7. I'll go for long periods where I do NOTHING, not even emerge from my room.
8. My life is messed. I am plagued by thoughts like there being no individuals, no freedom.

I really think that I have dysthymia. You have helped change my life. Thank you.

little_buddha said:
Wow, I had no idea that dysthymia even existed ... yet it seems obvious that I have been suffering from it. I think perhaps I get double depression as in, seasonal affective disorder plus dysthymia. During summer I am definitely better, but not much: I have made the decision to go onto medication for the next few years at least.
1. For lengthy periods I'll sleep 12 hours, others 6. I suffer constantly from insomnia and "going round again", when I skip sleep to catch up sleeping hours.
2. I no longer have the energy to go to the gymn, or cancel membership. I have put on weight because of this.
3. Yet sometimes I have periods of energy.
4. I have a terrible self-image, as you know hence my forehead-scar.
5. I can't finish a book nowadays.
6. I can't make decisions when I'm on set any more.
7. I'll go for long periods where I do NOTHING, not even emerge from my room.
8. My life is messed. I am plagued by thoughts like there being no individuals, no freedom.

I really think that I have dysthymia. You have helped change my life. Thank you.

No disrespect intended, but sometimes Im not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic.:p So, I will take your response as genuine and also paste a link that was QUITE informative. It's definitely worth reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia

What? No, remember the whole new leaf thing? Also, who would take the time to list eight symptoms of dysthymia if they were being sarcastic? I realise "you have changed my life" sounded a little dramatic, but really, the awareness of dysthymia may be able to help me with long term problems that have plageud me. I did immediately read the wikipedia article after reading your original post (we are all wikipedia's bitches), but yes, thank you again.

Latest posts

Back