Loneliness does not equal Mental Illness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does Loneliness equal mental illness

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ledchick

Reaction score
It seems the more I read threads on here the more it seems that loneliness seems to equate to some sort of mental problem or illness. It just can't be the case in all instances.
Lets do a little poll and see....I am quite curious.....

While specific mental illnesses may indeed lead to someone becoming isolated and thus lonely, a wide array of reasons, such as occupation, domestic situation, physical disability and so forth can also be to blame. For this reason, I answered no.

Mental illness is, unfortunately, often stigmatised, usually through ignorance.

There are so many reasons that people find themselves lonely that there is no way that loneliness in and of it's self equals mental illness. Mental illness is only one of countless things that it can be a result of but they do not equal each other.

Some types of mental illness, like schizophrenia do lead to loneliness, as does depression and a a few personality disorders and bipolar disorder (in extreme cases), so I voted 'sometimes', which is the accurate, correct answer but friendless people who are combined: mentally healthy, attractive, confident & inteligent are an enigmatic minority worth studying

torontonian said:
Some types of mental illness, like schizophrenia do lead to loneliness, as does depression and a a few personality disorders and bipolar disorder (in extreme cases), so I voted 'sometimes', which is the accurate, correct answer ...

I don't mean to disagree with the pronounced "accurate, correct answer" but even if mental illness leads to loneliness that does not mean that loneliness equals mental illness. That is confusing a tangent symptom with the disease it's self.

what of the man who goes into the 'wild' to be completely alone to find himself and does not seek out the company of others, and when reintroduced to society sees it for what it really is and does not want to return to it. He will be classified, because society will find some classification for him,of some mental sickness. When in reality he is just seeing humans for what they really are....
ANYONE and I do mean ANYONE, can be classified according to the DSMV, to have some sort of phobia, illness, sickness, diseases etc. I dare anyone to go to a psych and try to walk out of there without being told they are just completely NORMAL! HA! Hell, there is even something wrong with you if you think you are NORMAL !

I assume to be both a loner and insane. But i'm a loner because i like being alone and i don't think being extroverted would help me curing my weirdness. And actually i like my weirdness too. I'd just bring some change in my life to get my surroundings accordingly to who I am.

Fergus, while mental illness, personality disorders and phobias dont equal loneliness in every instance, they DO in many manifestations, which is what I said & how I voted. Just take a look at this forum

My personality is innate whereas my 'disorders' aren't. Except natural phobias of course. I'm an innate loner, but some things in my life brought me some problems. It may has been strengthened by my personality.

"A man wholly solitary would either be a God or a brute" (Aristotle).

I am not a God. I voted yes.

I'm definitely not a brute & have read much of Aristotle & know how he characterizes a brute, so I'd take his POV over any of my detractors, especially since Aristotle was speaking about his time, one much healthier than our own

torontonian said:
Some types of mental illness, like schizophrenia do lead to loneliness, as does depression and a a few personality disorders and bipolar disorder (in extreme cases), so I voted 'sometimes', which is the accurate, correct answer but friendless people who are combined: mentally healthy, attractive, confident & inteligent are an enigmatic minority worth studying

At the same time loneliness may cause depression which may lead to psychosis or schizophrenia or tons of other mental and physical conditions. Loneliness is unhealthy and even dangerous and the longer you suffer from it the more damage it can do to your mental and physical status.

Pasha Selim said:
"A man wholly solitary would either be a God or a brute" (Aristotle).

I am not a God. I voted yes.
Tell that to Diogenes of Sinope.
Besides, I'm a God.

torontonian said:
I'm definitely not a brute & have read much of Aristotle & know how he characterizes a brute, so I'd take his POV over any of my detractors, especially since Aristotle was speaking about his time, one much healthier than our own

You are the greatest looney I have seen on this forum.

Being an unadmitted "looney" yourself, I admit you are just an aggressive (EDIT) smatterer.

Semidoct = Smatterer & an aggressive one at that, neither of which explain friendlessness, as many sociable types fit that description.

torontonian said:
Semidoct = Smatterer & an aggressive one at that, neither of which explain friendlessness, as many sociable types fit that description.

Explain us your friendlessness.

Latest posts

Back