do people go to the theater alone??

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SighX99

Reaction score
Do people go to the theater alone? i really want to watch the new star trek movie, but, like always, i have no one to go with... maybe i should just go by myself? ive never gone to the theater alone.. i wonder how thatll feel like.

im just curious on your opinion on gong to the theater alone

I go to the theater alone more often than I go with people. Part of me even prefers it that way. Because I hate it when people talk to me during the movie and whenever someone else is with me, I can't fully let go (laugh, cry,...). At first I always feel uncomfortable because I worry that it may seem pathetic to other people. But once the lights go out, it doesn't matter.

ya if there's a movie want to see i got see it, something to get me out of the house i bike alone a lot to just bike to the middle of nowhere just to see what's out there or i bike to the dq and i buy a chocolate shake and i sit and enjoy it i go to the bookstore for a while by myself

just this last Thursday i went and saw wolverine origins and i sneaked in strawberry malt (sometimes i'll sneak a smoothie or my own bag of microwave popcorn and a soda)
and a few weeks ago i saw the movie earth and it was pretty good
sometimes i worry i'm going to walk in and see a picture of me on the wall that saws this person is wanted/banned from the theater for continuously sneaking in food

:p

so far so good

I have gone by myself

I always thought that the main point going to a theater is so you can have a good time with your friends.

And seeing couples there would just make me sad..

But there are movies I have always wanted to see..
I guess I should stop waiting for people
to ask me to go see a movie and just go by myself.

People do go to the theater by themselves.

You could always try saying "I'm going to see XYZ friday, you and so and so want to come along?" Who know what they'll say.

I would definitely go to an art house theatre by myself that mainly plays foreign films, independent features, and anything else that falls into the category of 'not coming to a major theater near you'. Sadly, there is no such thing existing in my city :(

The theaters in my city are these monstrous buildings that contain only the latest hollywood blockbusters and you have your choice of taco bell, burger king, baskin robbins, and pizza hut to munch out while you watch your movie. Its not a good experience for myself since 90% of the films always playing are the ones I can wait for to come out on dvd or appear on tv in the future. Very uninteresting fluff. The last time I have been in a major theater was during the premier of Mister Lonely at the Toronto International Film Fest. That was over two years ago :/

You're not alone on this one ) I went to the movies alone, couples around is minus but when the movie starts you'll be busy to notice them ;)
P.S. I was on Star Trek, this is one of the movies that must be watched on a big screen.

Go to a morning showing or during the day on a weekday when people are typically at work or school. Movie theaters are usually empty during those times and chances are you will not be the only person by yourself.

I always end up seeing movies alone. It's actually the only reason I don't go very often. Everyone thinks I'm weird for not watching many movies when they ask me if I've seen <insert latest movie>. I think I might go see the new star trek movie and probably xmen origins soon, just to get out and do something

SighX99 said:
Do people go to the theater alone? i really want to watch the new star trek movie, but, like always, i have no one to go with... maybe i should just go by myself? ive never gone to the theater alone.. i wonder how thatll feel like.

im just curious on your opinion on gong to the theater alone
I know just how you feel. I went to see the new Star trek movie by myself, and I too, like always, had no one to go with. I really wanted to see it, so i went and sat in a theater full of happy couples. It was depressing at first, but it was worth it to see the new Star Trek film.

I go alone sometimes and think I will start doing it more often, seeing as I don't really know anyone who shares my movie interests and I always end up missing out on movies I wanted to see at the theatre. The early shows, are the best times to go alone when there are other singles/loners there as well.

When the backlog of good movies gets out of control and I get the balls to do it, I have gone alone. But I can't do it during the weekends, because I feel too pathetic when everyone else is there with girlfriends/boyfriends or groups.

The times that I went were in the middle of the week, last showing of the night, where the theater is half empty. Once I get over the self conscious thing, look around and see nobody gives a care, then it's nice.

I go to the movies a lot on my own, mainly because I don't always have someone to go with but I really really want to see the movie

I prefer to see it with somebody else but to be honest thats mainly because I feel like everybody in the theatre is staring at the person on there own and thinking I'm a loser or feeling sorry for me not always because I want the company

but a couple of months ago I decided that I wasn't going to let what other people might think of me stop me from enjoying a film I badly want to see in the theatre, and in reality nobody cares that your on your own and usually there are a few people on there own as well as me.

I go to movies by myself if I think it's an "important" movie. But popcorn flicks (like Star Trek and Wolverine) I think would just remind me of how alone I am to see them by myself. I guess I'm on the fence about this one, cuz there really are a lot of movies I would like to see this summer.

I used to go to the movies alot by myself mostly cos my ex partner would never go with me...so i figured it was his loss...

I still go alone now...it makes a nice change sometimes...a little like escaping from life for a few hours

Latest posts

Back