I'm the Jack, Master of None

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse

Reaction score
(Although the original saying was Master of One)

I've recently discovered something about myself. When it comes to personal interests, like when people ask me if I like such and such, the answer always seems to be the same. "Well, I don't actively seek to do those things, but when they happen, I enjoy them." Example: Techno Music.

The thing is, because of this I can get along with quite a few very different people, but I often feel like I don't know who I am. What defines me? What things do I absolutely love? What do I actively seek out for enjoyment? It's kind of scary. My sense of identity is fragile often. I guess it's time to continue on my journey of self discovery and figure out what it is exactly that defines me.

Anyone else ever feel this way?

Yes, sort of. But somewhere along the line I realised I don't really become obsessive about things anymore. I touch on things as much as I find them interesting. I think part of the problem is we tend to define other people by what little we know of them, which doesn't necessarily include everything going on in there heads. What we establish about someone early on often determines how we interpret their behaviour later, so it's a self-sustaining illusion. When we look at ourselves we see everything we are interested in, as well as everything we feel we should know about those things but don't. We have a more complete picture of ourselves, and it seems less clear cut than the limited perception we have of others.

Of course, I think some people define themselves too narrowly. Certainly when they're young. It's as much to do with controlling how others see them as anything else. These people need to chill out and look at the wider world.

Latest posts

Back