The London Trip Review

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwall

Reaction score
OK, so against all odds it did go ahead, and a very enjoyable day was had by all. And I say that having mentally decided beforehand that it was going to be a disaster and a tragedy for all concerned. I was once stalking a group of Satanists online, and I remember they had a meet-up where only two people actually met up, whereupon they took pictures of themselves in a pub striking Satanic poses and it was absolutely the most depressing thing I've ever seen.

SO when I found myself in Kings X not being able to get through to Lone Wolf, I had a bad feeling. This was not helped by the fact that I was forced to go up to several people asking "are you Lone Wolf?" and generally looking like I was cottaging. So after standing next to each other for about five minutes, I finally got a positive response. LW had cunningly decided to wear a T-shirt with a wolf on it but neglected to mention this beforehand, meaning that our meeting up was a sheer matter of good fortune.

After about an hour Jales turned up with boyfriend Airbug in tow. Apparently the first thing she noticed about me was that I had a jumper on despite it being about 25 degrees. There is a story behind this. Because I was away from uni, I had no clothes except a Christmas present jumper and a T-shirt that had been too big for my sister so had ended up in my drawer. My sister was a massive punk, so the T-shirt was graced not only by a large pink swastika below "DESTROY", but an upside down Jesus on the cross just to insult as many as possible. I had been convinced it was going to rain, but English weather fooled me again and so I was forced to explain to her why I was the only one in London wearing wool.

J had brought a present for LW, reminding me that it was his birthday. LW, I still owe you one. So we went over to Covent Garden to LW's choice of restaurant, where Jales' sister met up with us. I am now going to describe the people for you. Lonewolf was an incredibly nice person, a bit shy with a great sense of humour. Airbug was the quietest, but laughed a lot: I also appreciated the fact that Jales and him don't see each other that much so really they were enjoying each other's company.

When I met Jales, I thought that she was the most candid person I had ever met - but that was until I met her sister. Within a short period of her arrival at the restaurant, she began an interrogation that was to concern my Nazi T-shirt, why I was wearing my sister's T-shirt, why I was reading a book about incest (Thomas Mann's epic "The Holy Sinner"), why I was using a mascara packet as a book mark, and other difficult questions. I've rarely laughed so much in one day. Although she was the clubber yin to Jales' geek yang (like my brother and I), they were both rare in that they were both candid AND charming.

So unbelievably there were NO awkward pauses in the whole day. Briefly, because this is getting really long, here is what we got up to:

I led them on an abortive quest to find the mythical "Cybercandy" (http://www.cybercandy.co.uk) which I am sure they were convinced did not exist. We walked through Trafalgar Square and along the Thames past skate parks etc. until we reached the Tate Modern. We took part in an exhibition where you carved potatoes and drank water (yup) before we went to the cafe and I paid for the most expensive non alcoholic drink of my life. Jales' sister thoughtfully snuck away and ordered a cake for Lone Wolf, meaning THERE WAS CAKE AFTER ALL.

By this time, five or six hours had passed, and the British weather finally vindicated my fashion choice, meaning I could take off the T-shirt Airbug had kindly lent me and put on my jumper while everyone else got rained on. We went to Waterloo where my train was waiting, and Lone Wolf kept his promise and bought us all coffee at a Caffe Nero. We said goodbye, and I was left with the following tidbits of information you might not know about your fellow lifers:

JALES gave AIRBUG a false name and forced her sister to call her by it all through the holiday they went on in Egypt!
AIRBUG has an irrational hatred of organ-players, but shares with Jales an equally irrational love of rocks.
LONE WOLF was once asked to walk down three floors to get a file for his ex-boss that was TEN FEET away from the guy, although apparently he did it in the most sarcastic manner possible.

ANYWAY, personally speaking, I had a great day, made new friends and got to hang out with four very interesting people - but next time, more organisation is needed!

Peace,

LB

brilliant although airbug did fail to mention he couldnt quite recall the name or location of the sweetshop insistantly calling it digital candy maybe he was getting confused with something else (jus kidding) a small point about airbug is that he seemingly doesnt like leaving anything on his plate and must finish his food no matter how full he is a slightey more odd fact about me is that i have an odd dislike to umbrellas

Wow!
I'm so glad this actually took place. It seems like a big step of some sort, for our forum as a community. I'm sure it's something you guys aren't going to forget. I wish I could've come...if it weren't for the **** pond between us... :p

Anyway, glad to hear it went smoothly. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a tour of north Idaho? Hmmm...

lol I had serious money problems. They need proof of some sufficient amount of money in my bank account to make sure of my safe stay there to stamp the visa, which kinda pissed me off cos it's 3 or 4k pounds that they need (info from my friend). If I had that much money, I have another personal meet up to take care of before I come for this one. Lol once the personal one is done, I will be there for sure or we will be there for sure lol. Will try the next one :p

Edit: Typos

Brian said:
Wow!
I'm so glad this actually took place. It seems like a big step of some sort, for our forum as a community. I'm sure it's something you guys aren't going to forget. I wish I could've come...if it weren't for the **** pond between us... :p

Anyway, glad to hear it went smoothly. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a tour of north Idaho? Hmmm...

I can second the sentiment. All it takes for people to get together is for them to have the desire and will to do so. I've thought many times that if all the socially disconnected lonely people in the world could just accept one another and form their own community then we'd all have a place in the world.

haha little Buddha that was awesome. But made me feel sad that i didn't come :( I really would have loved to have met you guys.

Lone Wolf of course you mean LITTLE BUDDHA not AIRBUG and what would be the point of a quest if I knew the name and location of the shop?! There is nothing odd about hating umbrellas, they are all potential eye-gouging machines.

Stella, I got very worried that you had come after all and that somewhere in London there was an angry Welsh girl who'd travelled for like six hours to find a complete lack of Lifers waiting for her. I was disappointed you didn't come, esp. because to be honest the deepest we got into the Tate Modern was the cafeteria ... and there was a great exhibition on Futurism on. :(

little_buddha said:
Lone Wolf of course you mean LITTLE BUDDHA not AIRBUG and what would be the point of a quest if I knew the name and location of the shop?! There is nothing odd about hating umbrellas, they are all potential eye-gouging machines.

Stella, I got very worried that you had come after all and that somewhere in London there was an angry Welsh girl who'd travelled for like six hours to find a complete lack of Lifers waiting for her. I was disappointed you didn't come, esp. because to be honest the deepest we got into the Tate Modern was the cafeteria ... and there was a great exhibition on Futurism on. :(

:'( ohs

i would have come except i didn't know if you were going, you didn't reply to my message until 3:40am and i was tucked up in bed sleeping, so i didn't get your message until Saturday afternoon.

nevermind, next time we'll organise it better :) I'm really glad you all had a fabulous day though :)

If I know that ppl where going to turn up I would had gone also. I suppose that was my own insecurities coming out there.

Am really glad you all had a good time :)

There was never a chance of me going, even though where I live the train goes straight to King's Cross. My anxiety and social awkwardness makes the idea of meeting people in person in one of the least friendly cities in the country very unappealing. Apart from which, my girlfriend is convinced that people only go on forums to flirt. If I said I was meeting someone from a forum she'd be convinced it was for sex.

That's sort of a negative comment to post, and I don't really know why you did. A.) You never said you WERE going, B.) It's not necessary for you to say you found the idea "unappealing" and C.) Slag off London, D.) Your last comment doesn't even make sense, because if you tell her you're meeting people from "a forum" you're being misleading already, so why not just lie about the whole thing?

little_buddha said:
That's sort of a negative comment to post, and I don't really know why you did. A.) You never said you WERE going, B.) It's not necessary for you to say you found the idea "unappealing" and C.) Slag off London, D.) Your last comment doesn't even make sense, because if you tell her you're meeting people from "a forum" you're being misleading already, so why not just lie about the whole thing?

Calm down LB :D I don't think he meant anything by it.

little_buddha said:

err...this IS a forum, so he wouldn't be lying in any way. I think perhaps you've misunderstood him, so please keep the negative comments in check.
Thanks in advance.

little_buddha said:

I think you misunderstood the whole point. He said his anxiety and social awkwardness "makes him feel" the idea as unappealing and I guess he meant by saying this that he wanted to go but couldn't because of these problems.

He didn't actually slag off London. He just said it's "one of the least friendly cities in the country". I don't know London well enough to comment on this but everybody will have their own personal experience with a place and that person's outlook about the place will be based on this experience he had with that place. Don't you think so?.

Last part, yeah I agree why not lie about the whole thing? It would create serious problems in my family if I tell them that I'm gonna meet someone from a forum. I will have to fake it as an official trip.

Just tell them you're on a mission.
A MISSION from GOD.

(props if you understand the reference)

@ Sanal: Yeah, sorry, it seems I misread.

@ Eve: withholding pertinent information is still misleading, e.g. "I was out with a friend last night [and slept with her]" - not telling her it's from a depression forum is deceiving her, so why talk about meeting someone from a forum at all?

heya, it was really good. and litltle buddaha gave a great account. LB i didnt know you write so well. in that case i want you to become my writing buddy if this makes sense.

I write a bit, i'm working on a book. i will email you. Also adam the site was great, I cant wait till you add more pictures.

little_buddha said:
@ Sanal: Yeah, sorry, it seems I misread.

@ Eve: withholding pertinent information is still misleading, e.g. "I was out with a friend last night [and slept with her]" - not telling her it's from a depression forum is deceiving her, so why talk about meeting someone from a forum at all?

Your remark can be viewed as maligning his character. This is a FORUM. What he does or does not choose to tell someone is his personal choice. And he also never once said that he would lie to her.
He said, "If I said I was meeting someone from a forum she'd be convinced it was for sex."
This statement was only an opinion of what his significant other might say. He in no way implied he would lie to her. You are making nasty assumptions.

Please don't cast apersions on someone's integrity based on your own negative interpretations of their comments. Consider yourself warned.

i dont see why you'll are making such a big deal out of what LB said. 'Consider yourself warned'? would they really ban someone over a simple comment that was taken back?

This is his recent post:

"Who has a partner who knows they go on ALL?

I know some of the people on ALonelyLife.com have partners. If I told my girlfriend I use a forum like this she would be confused and unable to handle it. Does anyone else's partner know they are on ALL? If not, why haven't you told them?"

You have a rare talent for making a storm in a teacup, Eve. Once again, you are using emotive language:

I never said "lie", you did. You are using language like "nasty" and "maligning". What it comes down to, and you can't really argue against this, is that it is just as misleading to not tell someone you are on a forum as to not tell them that you are going to see someone from that forum. Sanal obviously understood my point.

I don't consider myself warned, because I haven't done anything WRONG. If anyone is making aspersions [critical remarks] on someone else's character, it is obviously you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back