does depression mess with your memory?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonely2beeme

lately these last 3 monthes i have been depressed alot and this is weird it never happened before but i cant remeber everyday small things lately.
i cant remeber log in and pass words ,if wrote them down or where , or peoples names and faces or what we talked about....
it never happened to me before ,its why i thinki am haveing a mental breakdown unless its just early alzhiemers or something......
that would be worse......
i use to be almost insomnice from 14 -32 then 33i becames normal sleep and now at 35 and in the biggest depression of my life i cant seem to remmeber the days all that well lately ,and i am sleepy all the time i feel like i am falling asleep now as i type ,too tired even to watch tv or eat
i just want to sleep 15-18 hours a day even when i wake up i never feel fully awake or untired.
everyting is bad i made 3 friends here can barely remeber the names and taled to them on yahoo or msn messenger but i cant rember which
so i dunno where to find them
i think i am loseing my mind

Yes it is very common, I went through the same thing when I had severe depression problems. I'm sorry you are having to deal with it too.

My depression hit hard in the mid 30's too, same for my father (who ended up commiting suicide) I am now on the only anti-depresent that has ever worked (very non traditional) + I have vowed to never let myself get so far down ..it cost me EVERYTHING..I lost it all..my life still sucks bad..I am desperatly trying to pull myself up...I understand how you feel..you can pm if you would like too..
I'm sorry your dealing with this.

My memory is actually a lot sharper when I get depressed. I can remember whole conversations (down to the exact words) when I get depressed, but usually I can only remember certain fragments when I'm not.

i remeber everything ,right down to the exact words of old conversation it the ones i had in the last 3 monthes ,i made a messenger on yahoo or msn i cant remeber which and i talked to a sweet guy on this forums from england and a hyper chickie and one more guy yet the names dont stick or even much of those convos ,its just lately ,it got worse lately.i dont even know what day it is most the time , i look at the clock and cant tell if thats 6 am or 6 pm i have to go look out the window to figure it out.thins that really upset me tho i remeber them 100% intense things but the rest of this is like sleepwalking ,i use to play online games to distract me from being lonely and lately i get such a headache looking at the comp and i cant concentrate to play at all or even how to play well ,we dont have good antidepressents here i went on some before but was no good ,they had me on a SSRI just made me have massive headaches like i am haveing now when i went off of them.
dont really want to go hospital again for this,i want to change things in my life,its just too much going on in my head lately.......

[/quote]
i use to play online games to distract me from being lonely

I did too..but I lost interest the SSRI never worked for me been on most of them..only thing that helped was opiate type drugs, percocet, vicodin, etc...but I developed a bad addiction, but now I am on suboxone people are lobbying for it to be used as an anti-depresant. There is research indicating some people's depression might be caused by lack of opiate peptides in the brain. Opiates have sucesfully treated depression in many study's. My doc' can't perscribe them for depression but I get them for opiate withdraw *wink* *wink* I have a good Dr.

kaz ,i wish i could try that but you cant get meds for opiate withdrawel meds here ,if you are even suspected of neeing withdrawel meds then you would have to prove the need and if the doctors know you have been useing illegal drugs like heroine they will have to call the police as its a crime ,so they treat you but the police also arrest you afterwards

.they also dont treat obesity ,as being fat is not a illness .here you have to just have will power(gaman), also they dont have prozac, they dont do stomach bands, alot they dont do since we have government mandatory insurance and that decides what meds and procedures doctors can do in japan. it means everyone gets cheap hospital but it also means limited meds and procedures mostly geared to ageing older population and to birthing. if you get cancer or need a transplant you usualy have to go to another country to get any kind of good treatment and most people that ill just the trip alone puts too much a strain on them.

i hate the hospitals here , the meds,and such.

,if you are even suspected of neeing withdrawel meds then you would have to prove the need

I did too I had to test positive on a test, which was actually very hard, I took 15 percocet's the night before test and failed, nad to take more the next time for a faint positive. My doc says my body processes them very quickly beacuse my body is lacking them and uses them up quickly...

Where do live ? where the doctor would call the police on you?

that is insane!!!!

Buprenorphine has also been found to relieve refractory depression, but this particular use has never been approved by FDA. Refractory depression is depression that has not responded to other treatments. Some patients, who suffered from depression in the past, have experienced relief of symptoms on buprenorphine. (Bodkin,1995)"

Thousands of people say it has eased there depression www.naabt.org

read the forums...

I take zoloft and wellbutrin together right now. I have been on these for a few years now. I don't seem to have anxiety attacks as often - but I am completely exhausted all the time. As for lack of memory - I've been experiencing it for the last few years. My mind is definitely not as sharp as what it used to.. I often thought it was because of either the medication I take or maybe I am just getting old. Maybe I have too much on my mind. The other thought was that maybe I have too many darn kids. :-0 I'm always leary of taking drugs because I need every last brain cell I have to get through school.

kaz i live in japan if a doctor feels you are breaking the law we dont have doctor patient confidentiality if they feel you will break the law again they are required to report it to the police much like in america if you have a gun shot wound or a child has obvious signs of child abuse they legally have to report it.i know its seems like i can understand why for all of those reasons but yes many thousands of people die each year because they wont see a doctor after being honeysuckle or have a child treated after they feel down stairs just because they fear the police ,the same here but drug abuse gets reported also ,drug laws are very tight here.
i knew a girl that was a friend of my husbands who use to do drugs here and she became pregnant but went off them to deliver the baby,afterwards she used again one night when her baby was 4 monthes old,she was hallucinateing and she called basically 911 (here its 119) and told them that she felt like she was going to throw her baby out the window ,(happens alot in japan)well she hadent she was high the baby was crying she was stressing not sure what was going on,a ambulance came the baby was treated ,there was nothing wrong with baby ,her parents came to pick her up as she wasent that coherent.the police were called though and even though the doctor said the child showed no signs of abuse ,they arrested her on suspicion of child abuse pending a investigation.she spent the next year and a half in jail waiting while the police built a case against her,when she finally got to court she won and was realeased but her son was now 2 years old ,she last saw him at 4 monthes.
im not saying she is a good person but i also know she is always looney says wierd stuff her brain cells are fried but she wouldnt hurt the baby i think she was afraid she would so thats why she called she just couldnt say the right words, but i do feel the police over step things here sometimes and make it even harder for people who need help to get it for fear of imprisonment.

as for me i actually may be takeing something like you kaz , i have a herniated disc in my spine and a herniated stocmach wall so hernias on both sides and wear a medical corset all day (its quite painful ) i use to take so much voltaren 25mg x2 and hypen 200mg every 6 hours but i was getting stomach ulcers and the pain wasent being handeled the doctors switched me over to lepetan .4mg every 12 hours plus i could still have voltaren pill if it needed the boost,lepetan is a synthetic moraphine he said, not as addictive and the only out patient thing they could give me its what cancer patients get here. when i 1st went on it last year i did nothing but sleep ,wake up for 2-3 hours take a dose and back to bed the 1st month ,if i ate i vomited but i also wasent hungry ,one month later i wa finally adjusted to the pain meds and felt great on top of loseing 8 kilos in one month,i have been on them ever since but they only worked great for the 1st 4 monthes then i got to where i take them every 8 hours and i still have pain,i was also very happy for a short period of time when i 1st started ,it felt like a antidepressant and pain killers and diet med all in one. but i have built up tolerence and suddenly had a crash into depression as the pain killers have started to work less and less .the active ingrediant is buprenorphine hydrochloride and its a suppository not fun but bypasses the stomach so no ulcers and almost instant relief in less than 15 minutes .i went off SSRI for 6 monthes before i started useing lepetan. and it was wonderful once i woke up but he honeymonn phase is over and doctor thinks i should stop them one time ,clean out and start again , i just cant stand the physical pain on top of the emotional pain so its scarey .anyway not sure if my this makes sense since i ramble when my head is like this ,sorry

Hi Lonely,

What a total bummer. I'm sorry the pain meds aren't working. Come back to the USA. We have good pain meds!

yea i wish i had some place to go ,sometimes i dream of living in america again.
i see my girls happy playing and laughing in the yard, i see a old house and it has a swimming pool
i love swimming but rarely do it here because i am shy and heavy and it makes me feel naked and watched
but in my dream i have a pool and swim everyday several hours and i am thin and happy
i am a good mommy , bake with my girls,exercise regularly ,everything is just so good
the grass is green and the skys are blue ,its sunny and warm and everything is really good
and then i wake up and it all dissappears,seems impossiable,..........i am lost no idea how to make dreams reality
and so i close my eyes and go to sleep ,feeling anxious knowing i am dreaming my life away
knowing i will be one day older when i wake,and yet my dreams are my only escape when they take me somewhere happy or they are torture when they take me through nightmares ......
wish i had good meds ,pain meds and maybe try prozac or whatever else is goodmostly i just want to get in shape,have surgery and have my hernias repaired and have a happy home and husband but it seems as if i am asking for 100 millon because no matter what it is a impossiable dream and just as out of reach

Latest posts

Back