A simple gesture

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Twitchy

This is something that's been on my mind lately. I'm about to get preachy and possibly ramble... so enjoy.

The words "thank you", a hug or even a pat on the back can change the course of someone's self esteem. Letting someone know they matter is an important part of anyone's feeling of worth. People like to think that self-esteem starts from within, but I think that's only half right. It also starts with the rest of us.

There are a lot of people here and in the real world that stop to help someone else or give a few words of encouragement. We should wonder how often these people get to hear words like those themselves. How many people could we have made happier if we'd simply stopped and said something nice once in awhile? How many feel invisible, lonely and hurt because they never hear those things? How many people become jaded and antisocial as a result of our inattention or petty grudges?

Biggest problem I see lately is that there are no benefits to being a nice person anymore. Too much of the time, a helpful gesture or a few kind words get ignored and swept away by time. We live in a world where those types of things aren't as rewarded as they should be. They take a backseat to wealth, appearance and popularity when it should be the other way around.

I really wish there was a little gold star that floated down from the sky when one of us did or said something nice...attached to a note signed by everyone we've ever met that says "Great Job!". It's unfortunate that there is no such thing.

I agree....

we all need encouragements, a pat on the shoulder, a hug or just someone to listen to us everyonce
in a while...That's why I got a sponsor and I attend support groups.

I actaully have 2 sponsors. They are very supportive in thier own ways.
I always hug them when I see them (grown men hugging.lol)

One of my sponsor told me to call him all the time...but hell no , I don't do that honeysuckle when I'm into
my depression , feeling sorry for myself or isolating.Lmao
He finally figure it out...he should call me everyday...It's still the same though..I still have to
listen to him talk...sometimes he listens to me..

My other sponsor ..I'll call him every so often to just tell him I love him.
He always encouages me and is very positive in ways he talks to me or helps me.
He helps me a lot...

We'll...I'm a little bit dyfucntional..that's why my sponsors have to be a little careful how they help me.
I grew up walking eggshells...no matter what I did was ever good enough in my father's eyes.
I seldom got praise or recieved encouragements growing up.
Actually everything i did was fucken wrong in my father's eyes..Feels fucken familar..lmao
Anyway...I still don't process praise very well...There's a sort of wall or defencesive machanism.
Hugs work better with me...

This reminds me. I was taking this girl out on a date and would open the car door for her, thinking it's maybe lame to do that for a girl. But then when I was about to take her home and getting in my car and let myself in, she said "oh, I should have leaned over and unlocked your door for you. I'm sorry that I didn't".

I was shocked that the fact she thought to say that to me made me feel good. Like REALLY good. It was the idea that she put the thought in to say that that made me feel happy. So I guess little things like that really can make somebody's day better even if it seems like no big deal.

Someone once said true character is being kind for the act not the reward. But I agree with you some times people need to be acknowledged for going out of their way for others.To do something you don't have to for others a thank you is a common courtesy. Like giving up a seat on the bus when an pregnant or elderly person gets on the bus.

Hi Twitchy :)
I liked your post. The reward of doing good is that we have made the world a better place. I hope you are having a great day and all the goodness you show, may it come back to you. :)

Thanks everyone. Maybe good work is it's own reward. Then again, so is a "Nice one" or "Thanks a bunch!" or "Here, have this big pile of cash."

No, you can't have my cash. :(

Dang...I was hoping. Anyway, I gots a story pertaining to this! Woohoo!

I was at the store, and this dude rang up my stuff, and never said goodbye, or have a nice day, but he said it to the person before me. I was like, WTF????!?!?!?!!?!?! I felt suckish the entire rest of the day.

"its easy to laugh, its easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind" - the smiths

i worked in a deli once for 4 months, being nice, polite and curteous to all the customers and handing out smiles left, right and centre. i served an indian woman who threw me off by telling me i have a nice smile, i never expected it and wasnt looking for any acknowledgement.. just kept doing my thing.. it was nice to hear.

once its in your consciousness you realise we all have to spread the love.. help each other. there is no other way. that doesnt mean ima gonna give out free hugs to the old dudes down at my work shed.. hehe

spread the love people.. dont become jaded and bitter no matter what.. they will never win dammit! never!

If I think someone is just being nice to me because it's the right thing to do, and not because they really like me, that doesn't help me.

Latest posts

Back