What Book(s) are you Reading?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started a nonfiction book called "The Templars", by Piers Paul Read. It's about (of course) the Knights Templar. Pretty interesting so far.

Great, thanks. im intrigued by this shocking event. although, i dont think anything can top the traumatic events of A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. ive never read anything so disturbing.

Spare said:
heretostay said:
im not reading anything right now. but im looking for a good historical novel. Thats what i like to read mostly. Any good suggestions out there?

"Centennial" by James Michener. It's good. It also contains the single most shocking (not in a gross way) and traumatic moment I've ever read in a novel.

If anyone is looking for a short, quick, but interesting read then Dialogues with the Devil by Taylor Caldwell is excellent. I love all of Caldwell's books.

heretostay said:
Great, thanks. im intrigued by this shocking event. although, i dont think anything can top the traumatic events of A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. ive never read anything so disturbing.

Spare said:
heretostay said:
im not reading anything right now. but im looking for a good historical novel. Thats what i like to read mostly. Any good suggestions out there?

"Centennial" by James Michener. It's good. It also contains the single most shocking (not in a gross way) and traumatic moment I've ever read in a novel.

If anyone is looking for a short, quick, but interesting read then Dialogues with the Devil by Taylor Caldwell is excellent. I love all of Caldwell's books.

It's traumatic on an emotional level. It was for me, at least.

I'll have to have a look at Dialogues with the Devil. Sounds interesting. Thanks!

If you want a historical novel then read the conquerer series about genghis khan.
Its fantastic.
It starts with Wolf of the Plains, the Lords of the Bow and ends with Bones of the Hills.

Seriously...you'll be hooked to the end and at the back of each book the author explains which parts were true, how he got his information and a bit more historical background to the novel.

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
Dexter By Design - Jeff Lindsay.. final book of the series.. pure joy.

OOOO! I didn't know that one was out!

Must go to the library tomorrow!

Divinitywolf said:
If you want a historical novel then read the conquerer series about genghis khan.
Its fantastic.
It starts with Wolf of the Plains, the Lords of the Bow and ends with Bones of the Hills.

that's awesome. thanks! i read another historical novel about genghis khan called The Earth is the Lords by caldwell. it was so good. i'll have to look into this one, too.

heretostay said:

I just finished reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell. Got through it in 4 days cos I couldn't put it down. Would recommend anything by him, does a lot of great historical fiction. He's my favourite writer along with Bill Bryson who is just hilarious.

I'm reading Blind Eye, a true crime account of physician serial killer Michael Swango.

What it says about the clanishness (not to mention hubris) inside the medical profession is chilling.

"The Count of Monte Cristo"

I'm only about 100 pages in (it's over 1400 pages long), but so far it's good.

"The Discovery and Conquest of Mexico." --firsthand account of the Cortez expedition by Bernal Diaz del Castillo, Conquistador, circa early 1500s.

If you ever wanna read about men with true balls, read this book. The sheer chutzpah of what these guys did is simply astounding. What has happened to men these days? *sigh*

I'm currently reading a book called "Brida" by the Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho. It's an interesting and captivating book about love, magic and searching, taking place in Ireland during the 80's. It's one of those books that makes you think and actually teaches you something about yourself and life in general. I can definitely recommend it!

Latest posts

Back