What Book(s) are you Reading?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished the first book in the 'Wheel of Time' series. Right now I'm reading 'The Zombie Survival Guide', and I just ordered Charles Bukowski's 'Post Office' off of Amazon. I think I will probably enjoy his work and be able to relate to it a bit. I've been trying to expand my repertoire and read some older works from 'classic' writers of the past, as opposed to a steady stream of fantasy and sci-fi :p Though I'm pretty picky about which authors I'll read in those genres...I've avoided most of the stuff quantifiable as cheap crap.

Spare said:
cheaptrickfan said:
There is something just so perfectly elegant about a well-written short story, y'know? How it encapsulates everything you need to tell a tale, it's just awesome.

I agree. They can say so much with so little.

I just finished a book of Hemmingway's shorts and it was fantastic. Which reminds me, I have a short story I was working on a few years back that pertains to loneliness and loss. I never liked the ending I used and changed it at least twice.

I think, having matured, I should dig it up and rewrite the end. I think I could do a lot better now.

Brian said:
Which reminds me, I have a short story I was working on a few years back that pertains to loneliness and loss. I never liked the ending I used and changed it at least twice.

I think, having matured, I should dig it up and rewrite the end. I think I could do a lot better now.

That's a good idea.

I'm 10% of the way through the H.P. book now. Not that anyone cares. :p Hopefully I'll make it through another 10% today at least.

Yesterday I read:

• Introduction
  • The Beast in the Cave
  • The Alchemist
  • Poetry and the Gods
  • The Street
  • The Transition of Juan Romero
  • The Book (a fragment)
  • Dagon

^^I care! Has it got 'The Colour Out of Space' in it? You're gonna LOVE that one! One of the creepiest short stories i've ever read...

Spare said:
cheaptrickfan said:
There is something just so perfectly elegant about a well-written short story, y'know? How it encapsulates everything you need to tell a tale, it's just awesome.

I agree. They can say so much with so little.

Yeah, I enjoy a nice, weighty epic now and then (particularly space operas lol), but I really think it takes a great deal of skill to craft a short story that has all of the elements.

*sigh* That's the medium I aspire to. If I could fulfill my dream of going back to school for an MFA in Creative Writing, I'd focus on the short story.

Brian said:
I just finished a book of Hemmingway's shorts and it was fantastic. Which reminds me, I have a short story I was working on a few years back that pertains to loneliness and loss. I never liked the ending I used and changed it at least twice.

You ought to do that. :)

Electric_Fusilier said:
^^I care! Has it got 'The Colour Out of Space' in it? You're gonna LOVE that one! One of the creepiest short stories i've ever read...

Unfortunately, this volume does not have that short story. I even looked in the other book I bought that has another set of collections of his short stories, it's a no go in both books.

Darn. :(

Maybe In another book, like this one: The best of H.P. Lovecraft

Heck, I dont know which book to buy because it seems like it's so easy to buy a book that you think was written by him, but it was actually written by his followers. Frustrating. -_-

How many short stories has he written?? @_@

20% done now with the book.

Yesterday I managed to read the following short stories by H.P. :

• The Tomb
  • Memory
  • The White Ship
  • Arthur Jermyn
  • The Temple
  • The Terrible Old Man

Finished "The Things They Carried," by Tim O'Brian. Geez, what a writer!

SophiaGrace said:
Spare said:
Finished "The Things They Carried," by Tim O'Brian. Geez, what a writer!

What was it about?

It's a collection of interconnected short stories about the Vietnam War. O'Brian served in Vietnam, and from what I understand it is the main focus of all his work. Very moving stuff.

Onward with Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles"!

Look Me In The Eye - My Life With Asperger's. I read the first few chapters and it sees like a really good book so far. It's the only book I;m reading, unfortunately, I don't do a lot of reading in books.

I think I am 35% done with The Road to Madness now.

Yesterday I read:

• The Crawling Chaos
  • The Tree
  • The Moon-Bog
  • Herbert West - Reanimator
  • The Lurking Fear

I am now 40% of the way through the book & obviously have nothing better to do than post updates:

• The Festival
  • The Unnamable

Today I am at the 50% mark in my Lovecraft book and have read the following so far today.

• Imprisoned with the Pharaohs
  • The Shunned House

The Shunned House was a bit scary. D:

Oscillate_Wildly said:
Reading the odd section of Mozipedia - The encyclopaedia of Morrissey and The Smiths and starting to read Life Stories by David Attenborough

what is Mozipedia about? :)

Im reading shantaram an awsome true story of struggle drugs and guns dealing jail escapes and the indian mafia by an australian

Today I read another 40 pages, and reached 60% completion of my book.

I read:

• The Horror at Red Hook
  • He
  • Cool Air
  • Nathicana

Currently reading outliers by malcom gladwell quite good.

startted reading lies and the lying liars who tell them; a fair and balanced look at the right by al franken

and the sookie stackhouse mystery series by catherline harris

and I finished the girl with the dragon tattoo trilaogy in june

Latest posts

Back