What Book(s) are you Reading?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shadetree said:
Finally after 15 years finishing up the dark tower series by stephen king, and listening to the odd thomas series by dean koontz on audio book when i walk.

The Dark Tower series were my favourite Stephen King books! I loved them.

I'm reading three things right now…Apology for Want, Deeply Odd and the Sailor Moon manga.

51BJF5AF0RL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51ZuN40hWfL.jpg

15797722.jpg

Katerina said:
9781841498713.jpg

Finally!.. So near the end of this series.. just 1005-ish pages to go. :D

*claps* This is an achievement! :)

I shall drink grog in your honor. :cool:

9780786869428_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Journey Through Heartsongs by Mattie J.T. Stepanek

I suppose I'm reading children's poetry at the moment.

That Certain Something is gay fiction and a great, beautifully plotted book; I've just finished reading it.

Cate and Pia are both creative and they're determined. I liked that about them. The story is very well written from beginning to end, for the constant chemistry between the two women is the strongest quality of the novel.

Money versus love has been a point of discussion and a well known deal breaker for ages. Clare Ashton describes this very accurately, with great examples which are making That Certain Something a strong story. I liked the completely different backgrounds of the main characters and the way they were described. They were the base of various complications in the relationship between Pia and Cate. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems. There were quite a few obstacles to overcome and they both had to assess their ideals. From the beginning of the story Pia often finds herself in dire situations, which is quite funny as it's highly plausible. There's a lot of tension and there are a few very sexy scenes.

I feel Clare Ashton should write its sequel. Although a standalone book in its own right, the author could continue Cate and Pia's relationship and adventure to make it a definite bookshelf keeper. :)

22068687.jpg

SophiaGrace said:
*claps* This is an achievement! :)

I shall drink grog in your honor. :cool:

9780786869428_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Journey Through Heartsongs by Mattie J.T. Stepanek

I suppose I'm reading children's poetry at the moment.

Thanks! I too shall be partaking of some grog :D

I thought it was a trilogy at first.. but no.. 14 books (plus a prequel), am planning on giving all of them away when I'm through. They're pretty good but I just don't see myself reading all of that over again.

Great thread! Currently I'm reading "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse. I wanted to read this classic for a long time already but it never happened so far but recently I finally started and I'm immensely proud of myself because of that ...hahaha. ;-)

RainbowWalker said:
Great thread! Currently I'm reading "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse. I wanted to read this classic for a long time already but it never happened so far but recently I finally started and I'm immensely proud of myself because of that ...hahaha. ;-)

LOL. I know. Classics have a way of making us feel proud of ourselves.

Like "Look at me, I'm being all classical. You should be proud." *promptly falls into a pothole*

Such grace. Such wisdom. The world cannot contain us.

I'm reading Geraldine McCaughrean's Peter Pan in Scarlet

Peter_Pan_In_Scarlet.jpg

For the third time, but this time reading it to my young girl and she is absolutely thrilled. And at the perfect age this book has been writeen for. Even older kids like me. ;)

Altogether, a fantastic book for the transition between the level of children's books and teens. Peter Pan is back in a story which will have you pulled in to find out more about the plot with some moments where you will cry about the transition from childhood to adulthood. Set in post World War 1 Britain; the story is thoughtfully set out about the change of times and how that affects certain aspects of the book.

I found the tone of this book absolutely lovely. It's a great balancing act between reverence for the original by JM Barrie and its time and catering for the sensibilities of modern audiences. There are some very enjoyable quirky conceits that I will not seek to spoil, for most of the book rattles along beautifully. However, it has the overall feel of a bit of a patchwork of brilliant bits and the weakness is in the stitching of it all together.

Mouse said:

Peter_Pan_In_Scarlet.jpg

For the third time, but this time reading it to my young girl and she is absolutely thrilled. And at the perfect age this book has been writeen for. Even older kids like me. ;)

Altogether, a fantastic book for the transition between the level of children's books and teens. Peter Pan is back in a story which will have you pulled in to find out more about the plot with some moments where you will cry about the transition from childhood to adulthood. Set in post World War 1 Britain; the story is thoughtfully set out about the change of times and how that affects certain aspects of the book.

I found the tone of this book absolutely lovely. It's a great balancing act between reverence for the original by JM Barrie and its time and catering for the sensibilities of modern audiences. There are some very enjoyable quirky conceits that I will not seek to spoil, for most of the book rattles along beautifully. However, it has the overall feel of a bit of a patchwork of brilliant bits and the weakness is in the stitching of it all together.

I want to read the original Peter Pan :)

Great review too.

SophiaGrace said:
Mouse said:

Peter_Pan_In_Scarlet.jpg

Great review too.

THIS is the original Peter Pan and best of all, it's free. :)

Thanks for the appreciation.

Mouse said:
SophiaGrace said:
Mouse said:

Peter_Pan_In_Scarlet.jpg

Great review too.

THIS is the original Peter Pan and best of all, it's free. :)

Thanks for the appreciation.
I already have it on my Kindle…just need to get around to it. :p

I finally got around to buying the current Humble Book bundle. Finally a bundle with books. I think there've been only four real book bundles, everything else was comics.

Anyway, right now I am actually reading

"The eye of the world" by Robert Jordan. It was recommended to me and I've been at it for some time now, though I haven't read in the past few weeks. But the current bundle prompted me to not daydream on my way home from work tonight but to read something again.

The last book I finished was "Wizard's first rule" by Terry Goodkind and it was... strange somehow. It was a good book but, albeit being for adults, it sometimes read like a kid's book. I cannot quite my finger on it. It was entertaining enough.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to read after The eye of the world. Maybe I'll pick up the next volume or maybe I'll read something from the current humble bundle.

The Forever Girl by Rebecca Hamilton.

forever%20girl%20by%20rebecca%20hamilton_zpsby6w57et.jpg

This novel is targeted to young adults and it is easy to see why The Forever Girl has been optioned as the story of the female protagonist would be easy to relate to for many. Sophia, a Wiccan, feels trapped and alone in a small town and is desperate to get out. She soon encounters a whole host of supernatural beings, one she falls in love with and then the adventures begin. The writing is sharp - razor sharp, has been extremely well edited and has a good dollop of romance and action to keep the reader glued to the page. Just loved it!

Sophia drew me in from the beginning of the book. She has a crazy mother which causes enormous trust issues - heh, I could relate to that - and Sophia is trying very hard to live her life, despite her hardships financially as well as medically (the constant noise in her head) As the book evolved my only complaint was Sophia's fear of her own power and her raging self doubt. More than once, I wanted to hop into the story, shake her like a ragdoll and tell her she was strong enough to do anything!

I really loved the characters that Hamilton created. She took your expectations of paranormal characters, turned them on their heads and added a ton of depth. There is also a sex scene I wouldn't have minded hopping into as well. But that's Mouse for ya. ;)

If I had not known before reading that this was Rebecca Hamilton's debut novel, then I never would have guessed. Her writing is incredible and I found the book so difficult to put down, I would get to the end of the chapter and I'd just want to carry on reading.

Summing up, a well written and very well edited novel. A good editor can sometimes make or break a mediocre writer, but The Forever Girl was extremely well plotted from beginning to end.

looking glass said:
I finally got around to buying the current Humble Book bundle. Finally a bundle with books. I think there've been only four real book bundles, everything else was comics.

Anyway, right now I am actually reading

"The eye of the world" by Robert Jordan. It was recommended to me and I've been at it for some time now, though I haven't read in the past few weeks. But the current bundle prompted me to not daydream on my way home from work tonight but to read something again.

The last book I finished was "Wizard's first rule" by Terry Goodkind and it was... strange somehow. It was a good book but, albeit being for adults, it sometimes read like a kid's book. I cannot quite my finger on it. It was entertaining enough.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to read after The eye of the world. Maybe I'll pick up the next volume or maybe I'll read something from the current humble bundle.

I was lent the 'Wizard's first rule' a couple of years ago and felt a similar way about it.

Interesting that you've read the first Wheel of Time book whilst I'm reading the last :D. Reading the series will certainly keep you busy for a while. I'd say it's definitely an 'epic' in terms of story and I found the magic very interesting in it.

Latest posts

Back