What Book(s) are you Reading?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tealeaf said:
HoodedMonk said:
Tealeaf said:
2312 by Kim Stanley. Her prose jumps around a lot and makes it hard to follow, but I haven't finished many sci-fi books recently. I spent pages thinking midgets were a type of alien because of her weird style of introducing future culture and new people, and I'm still not 100% sure I've got this right. But an alien police officer wouldn't have a ponytail... right? So a "little", despite "looking up at them like a langur or marmoset", must be a human...

No wonder I've been avoiding reading lately. I keep getting these weird books off the bestseller's lists, too. Lem's Solaris was the last enjoyable read I had--and it's from the 60's.

If you want me to reccomend you some books…I will.

Please, anything with sensible prose...

The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

Try that.

HoodedMonk said:
Tealeaf said:
HoodedMonk said:
Tealeaf said:
2312 by Kim Stanley. Her prose jumps around a lot and makes it hard to follow, but I haven't finished many sci-fi books recently. I spent pages thinking midgets were a type of alien because of her weird style of introducing future culture and new people, and I'm still not 100% sure I've got this right. But an alien police officer wouldn't have a ponytail... right? So a "little", despite "looking up at them like a langur or marmoset", must be a human...

No wonder I've been avoiding reading lately. I keep getting these weird books off the bestseller's lists, too. Lem's Solaris was the last enjoyable read I had--and it's from the 60's.

Try that.

I will, thanks. :D

Tealeaf said:
HoodedMonk said:
Tealeaf said:
HoodedMonk said:
Tealeaf said:

Try that.

I will, thanks. :D

Love the new avatar btw. :)

The-Secret-of-You-by-Victoria-Connelly-web.jpg

Out of curiosity I decided the buy Victoria Connelly's book as it referred to my namesake, Anna, and that at one time I made a living as a journalist. I'm glad I bought it because the book is a wonderful escape in to the world of this heroine, Anna, a hard working and enthusiastic journalist who gets invited to stay at the beautiful and enchanting Fox Hill Manor, to write about the intriguing and handsome owner William Kitson and his immense antique collection.

Victoria describes the beautiful Cotswolds countryside in such a way that I could imagine every stunning detail as if I were right there. Fox Hill Manor is a compelling and captivating place with its own secrets and mystery which left me constantly turning the pages and excited to find more about this spell binding place and its elusive owner.

The characters I met in this story, include Anna's rather excessive collector sister Libby, her incredibly sweet and supportive husband Charles and their insightful and loving son Toby. But the most fascinating character of all is the wonderfully sweet and amiable Meg who warmed my heart. Meg's warmth stayed with me long after I finished listening to this book. Wonderful.

Also available as an audio download which I bought in addition when I was too fatigued to even read ~ glad I bought the audiobook because it was very clearly read by Jan Cramer. Jan cleverly managed to differentiate tones and accents perfectly; she really made the story come to life and held my attention. This is one audiobook that definitely kept me company, even during nights when I was feeling so rough and had nobody with me. Now, I have the paperback prominently displayed on my bookshelf, waiting for the next reader who doubtless will be my daughter Juni.

Just picked up Woodcraft and Camping by George W. Sears

1611489.jpg

and also The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare (Nervous about this one)

512HZZj6uRL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hoodedmonk said:
The Portrait of Dorian Gray

tumblr_m9sl4gSAhE1qispve.jpg

I reccommend this book to read. It was good.

Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation

by Silver Ravenwolf
51kjz1XvbBL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Arachne said:

by Silver Ravenwolf

Are you Wiccan, Arachne? Is that book any good? I've seen it in a local New Age bookshop.

HoodedMonk said:
Arachne said:

by Silver Ravenwolf

Are you Wiccan, Arachne? Is that book any good? I've seen it in a local New Age bookshop.

Yes, I am Wiccan ^.^ I just started it so I will let you know when done. Thank you for your inquiry and Bright Blessings

Arachne said:
HoodedMonk said:
Arachne said:

by Silver Ravenwolf

Yes, I am Wiccan ^.^ I just started it so I will let you know when done. Thank you for your inquiry and Bright Blessings

I look forward to you telling me what you think when you're done. :)

Unreasonable behaviour

Autobiography by Don McCullin.

I'm almost at the end. The book is about Don's adventures as a press photographer. Some violent stuff and some life stories as well. Well written... just some of the chapters are quite short.

Blood, Bones and Butter - autobiography

The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly - autobiography

Galileo's Middle Finger - autobiography

A Spool Of Blue Thread - novel

So I stopped reading for fun when I started school 3 semesters ago and never finished A Clash of Kings... trying to finish now

The Day My Brain Exploded by Ashok Rajamani

Resilience by Jesse Close, Glen Close

The Invention of Childhood by Hugh Cunningham

Latest posts

Back