Sleep Paralysis.. just me?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sodium

Reaction score
So I slept on the couch last night and my brother was up all night watching tv or whatever.. and he said I was singing or humming in my sleep..
I always sleep talk :s but the scariest thing ever is when sleep paralysis happens.. it hasnt happened for awhile though.

"Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "after which the individual may experience panic symptoms and the realization that the distorted perceptions were false".[5] When there is an absence of narcolepsy, sleep paralysis is referred to as isolated sleep paralysis (ISP).[6] "ISP appears to be far more common and recurrent among blacks than among whites or Nigerian blacks",[7] and is often referred to within black communities as "the Devil on your back"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

[youtube]F4c0o9L_21c[/youtube]

I feel like im sinking into my bed and I see the black shadowy guy.. but sitting next to me on the bed.. and it just stares at me.. I think since I cant see its face. :S

Has anyone else expericenced it?

Well it's kinda strange:p I didn't know that I snore a bit until my gf told me I do lol

That is disturbing. I have heard of what your talking about, like when you sleep the body and the brain disconnect so you don't act out what your thinking while asleep, but that is about all I know.

Wow, that's pretty creepy! It's like a minor malfuction in your body. The human body (and all bodies, for that matter) is such a wonderous, complicated organism. It has so many functions and checks and balances for itself that it's amazing it isn't subject to more glitches than it is.

I'd never heard of sleep paralysis before, but it makes sense. Most nights I'll wake up with my arm under my head or something, and my hand will be completely asleep. I always wonder why I didn't shift or role over to prevent that from happening. Now I know; I was paralized!

I had it twice, only once seeing a figure. It is scary, even though I'd read about these things all my life. It's hard to tell yourself something truly supernatural isn't happening.

I get sleep paralysis. I've gotten it for years now, and at one point, a couple of times a week. At first, it scared the living honeysuckle out of me, but I've gotten relatively used to it, and find myself brushing it off and going back to sleep. It's a very scary moment of not having control over my body, ya know the whole unable to move/speak business. Usually, when this occurs, I will sense a dark presence in the room and actually see a dark presence of some sort. Some instances this "presence" will whisper something in my ear. Although the scientific explanation states that the body is coming out of REM sleep and is still in that dream-like lucid state, I don't buy it. This is very strange for me as well, because I've never believed in a super natural realm until I started experiencing sleep paralysis, and now I don't completely deny the existence of one. I am not convinced that it's my brain playing tricks on me. I don't know what it is, but all I know, is that it is very, very frightening.

I went to bed to sleep at 11 years old one night. The next day I could not feel or use my legs. I was Paralysed from wast down and did not even have bladder control. All that was Paralysed has well. I nearly died. Has it also affected my lungs. I was on a machine that did the breathing for me at the hospital for a wail.

After 6 moths in a wheelchair and another 6 months on a zimmer frame I began to walk unaided again. Every day from that day I had to have phisopherpy. With out it I would not had been able to walk ever again.

I don't know if this has anything to do with Sleep Paralysis or not. What I do know is I went to bed a normal person and the next day I could not walk. I also know what ever it was it messed up my life :( ******* thing! Even now I hate the way this has left me. My right side of my body and leg grow back and recovered faster then my left. Has the right is stronger. Cos of that I got a limp and was walking uneven. That coursed my spine to twist as I was still growing. Now I have a real messed up twisted spine has well. So twisted that it pressers onto one of my lungs making it so I get out of breath faster then I should. And all this do to that one night.

Bluey said:
I went to bed to sleep at 11 years old one night. The next day I could not feel or use my legs. I was Paralysed from wast down and did not even have bladder control. All that was Paralysed has well. I nearly died. Has it also affected my lungs. I was on a machine that did the breathing for me at the hospital for a wail.

After 6 moths in a wheelchair and another 6 months on a zimmer frame I began to walk unaided again. Every day from that day I had to have phisopherpy. With out it I would not had been able to walk ever again.

I don't know if this has anything to do with Sleep Paralysis or not. What I do know is I went to bed a normal person and the next day I could not walk. I also know what ever it was it messed up my life :( ******* thing! Even now I hate the way this has left me. My right side of my body and leg grow back and recovered faster then my left. Has the right is stronger. Cos of that I got a limp and was walking uneven. That coursed my spine to twist as I was still growing. Now I have a real messed up twisted spine has well. So twisted that it pressers onto one of my lungs making it so I get out of breath faster then I should. And all this do to that one night.

awww Bluey (((((Hugs)))))
Good to see you around. dear.

Bluey said:

That's scary..I'm glad you're still alive! It's freaky to think that at any moment you could just fall over dead or something..

I've never experienced sleep paralysis but it has always sounded pretty freaky.

Bluey said:

Even when you think you're at home all safe.. something could happen to you. Wow until now you haven't found out why it happened? :( *hug*

Naval_Fluff said:

That is so scary... any second anything can happen.. he sitting there smiling and a sec later hes gone :S My aunts husband was yelling something about the cats being all over the place.. and right then he died :(

So unexpected.

It happened to serveral times...it's freaky man.

To me it was like night terrors...

It usually happens when I have crazy nightmairs. Then I can see myself awake just laying
in bed. I think I'm awake but my body dosn't move and I can't get to move..but after a while
I thought I had awaken from the dream...I get up and take a walk ...(but I'm still dreaming..I guess)
Then i get attack by a demon or some crazy beast again.
Then someone in my family had to wake me up..becuase they heard my screaming.

I used to watch my step duaghter sleepwalk. Now, that's even freakier.
She'll just get up in the middle of the night and starts playing or walk around..but she's asleep.
She also sleeps with her eyes open...it's freaky. You can see her eyes making REM.

No way..man don't get me going with ghost stuff...it freaks me out.
I think that's why I was afriad of living alone for the longest time.
I used to see a lady standing in our hallway at night when I get up in the middle of the night and
have to go pee...At first i was like...nah...nah I was just trippin.
But I saw like 5-6 times after that.

ya i know what you mean that has happened to me a couple times

it's very strange and disorienting i can't tell if i'm awake or still asleep

but ya i'll awake and i can't move or even scream

i remember one time i thought i saw a shadowy figure coming through the door

it was scary, cause i was almost thinking it was like a serial killer or someone coming in my room and i couldn't even move

but i couldn't really think straight after a few minutes i just fell back asleep

Hmmmmm. Why would people see figures? Maybe dreams are bleeding into the part of the brain that reads the eye?

I know when people are scared they can convince themselves they see weird things just in a shadow. I don't know how many times I have thought someone was standing in a room when it is dark and all it is is a shadow of something that is sorta human shaped. You see that out of the corner of your eye and it can catch you off guard. Though I can't even specifically remember the last time that happened, it has been years.

I can't even remember the last time I had a nightmare. Not much really scares me. I can watch the scariest movie and go straight to bed and not even think about it. I can see the grossest thing and just sit and eat. The only scary movie that affected me was the Ring. It wasn't scary so much as the image of the girls face who died in the closet sort of burned itself into my brain. I wanted to kick that creepy dead girls butt, lol.

Skorian said:
Hmmmmm. Why would people see figures? Maybe dreams are bleeding into the part of the brain that reads the eye?

This is what I assume happens. It feels real at the time though. What I find odd is that the sleep paralysis so often comes with a sense of malign presence, sometimes accompanied by an image. I see no reason why the two should come together. I never dream about dark monsters; why should they bleed through during sleep paralysis? Why did I see a dark form in my room instead of, say, a green spotted baby brontosaur eating pringles?

In my case, the form was some kind of squat dwarf with red glowing eyes. It was in the corner of my room just staring at me, and I couldn't move.

I'm sorry to hear about your illness Bluey. It sounds terrible. And seems so unfair.

Sodium said:
Even when you think you're at home all safe.. something could happen to you. Wow until now you haven't found out why it happened? :( *hug*

Well I still don't know why it happend. They say it was a virus or something. But the truth is they don't know why it happend (the doctors) and I don't know why it happend.

Bluey said:
Sodium said:

Well I still don't know why it happend. They say it was a virus or something. But the truth is they don't know why it happend (the doctors) and I don't know why it happend.
You should do some of your own research. Someone probably does know. Just don't jump on the first person who makes claims they do.
Nyktimos said:
Skorian said:
This is what I assume happens. It feels real at the time though. What I find odd is that the sleep paralysis so often comes with a sense of malign presence, sometimes accompanied by an image. I see no reason why the two should come together. I never dream about dark monsters; why should they bleed through during sleep paralysis? Why did I see a dark form in my room instead of, say, a green spotted baby brontosaur eating pringles?

In my case, the form was some kind of squat dwarf with red glowing eyes. It was in the corner of my room just staring at me, and I couldn't move.

I'm sorry to hear about your illness Bluey. It sounds terrible. And seems so unfair.
Are you sure the malign feeling was not part of what caused it? While I don't believe in mainstream psychology or psychiatry, they do have a few facts straight. I have read before about people getting strange sights an smells and that the miss firing basically of the brain (though I bet there is more to that then just the brain) is causing a psychotic break away from reality. Perhaps these are somehow related to what you’re talking about. I read this years ago. It was like case histories of some psychiatrist’s patients. I won't even repeat everything it says. There is probably some relation, but it overall sounds different.

Anyway, what I mean is not being able to move just by itself would be frightening and lead people into a fear state. From there the mind can run with it. I had some strange experiences with anxiety and panic attacks many years ago, before I learned how to cure it.

Fear can be very powerful.

I know if I ever saw something weird I would just get real curious and want really badly to try to touch it. I wouldn't believe it was real.

Maybe get a good recorder (or other equipment) and see if you can prove or disprove if it is just in your mind. Maybe you could be the first person ever to find good evidence of ghosts or something?

Skorian said:
Nyktimos said:
Skorian said:

Are you sure the malign feeling was not part of what caused it? While I don't believe in mainstream psychology or psychiatry, they do have a few facts straight. I have read before about people getting strange sights an smells and that the miss firing basically of the brain (though I bet there is more to that then just the brain) is causing a psychotic break away from reality.

I mean, not being able to move just by itself would be frightening and lead people into a fear state. From there the mind can run with it. I had some strange experiences with anxiety and panic attacks many years ago, before I learned how to cure it.

Could be. But I can understand how ancient people where freaked by it.

Skorian said:
Are you sure the malign feeling was not part of what caused it? While I don't believe in mainstream psychology or psychiatry, they do have a few facts straight. I have read before about people getting strange sights an smells and that the miss firing basically of the brain (though I bet there is more to that then just the brain) is causing a psychotic break away from reality.

I mean, not being able to move just by itself would be frightening and lead people into a fear state. From there the mind can run with it. I had some strange experiences with anxiety and panic attacks many years ago, before I learned how to cure it.

I have had bouts of sleep paralysis where I don't experience any malign feelings, but most of the time I do. I know for a fact, that when I do experience a dark presence, that this does not result from the fear of being overall paralyzed. Sometimes, I've gotten so used to the experience, that I am not afraid. But, even unafraid, I do have these sort of experiences with this prescence. For me personally, I did not have a break from reality and I know for a fact that I didn't hallucinate out of fear.

Latest posts

Back