how to stop depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lebowski

Reaction score
i guess the simple answer would be to get what you want but right now that doesnt seem too likely. at this point i'd settle for not being so depressed all the time.

thanks.

What helps with me is to spend time alone, thinking about yourself.
Work out the key issues that make you depressed, think up possible sollutions, put them in perspective and generally if you think through it enough sometimes things don't seem too bad.

For me what it comes down to is make a consicous choice to be happy no matter whaT.

It's mostly self-decipline and diciplining my mind.
Basicailly I just have to be assertive with myself or my mind.

I'm the master of my mind.

When I first do that..it might only happen for 30 sec or 1 min
Then I just tell myself again and again...5 mins at a time or an hour at a time.
That's it....I keep it simple like that.

You can reserch the net ..there's different suggestions.
it works if you work it.. Whatever you chose to do, you have to apply it into your life.

Example.... a suggestion I got off the net...
Just recall a good moment in your life ...a very , very happy moment.
Once you recognize the happy feeling...
You just hold on to that happy feeling without associate it with anything...just hold that feeling throughout your day.
It might take you several times to pratice this...it works...It worked for me.
Sometimes I'll walk around like I'm having an orgaism all day....People would ask me why I was so happy..lmao
ALLOW yourself to BE happy.

It just takes practice and applying it....that's it..no magic trick or secrets.
it's simple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can break your mental rut by hugging a TREE...lol

Go pyshically hug a tree in public. Just observe your mind and body gose into a sort of shock...becuase you THINK it's retarded.
The first time I did that...the hair on my neck stood up and all the crazy thought of what if people are watching , what will they
think if me....etc.

Then I rolled around in the leafs in my front yards as if I was a child just having fun.
For 10 mins I let go of whatever the heck that was bothering me.

But if can laugh at yourself...that's healing and it's a porcess of getting over your fears and recognizing that you are
not what your mind thinks or your emotions....

Just the thought of hugging a tree in public is silly....(err yeah your mind is controling you with FEAR)

If you can't do that...trying jumping on your bed like a little kid and be silly. Allow yourself to be silly.

If ending depression were easy the psychologists, social workers, psychiatrist, new-age healers, motivational speakers, life coaches and selected theologists all would be out of a job.. more or less..

there is plenty of stuff you can do to change your thinking.. read a little about cognitive therapies..
stuff to change your behaviour.. read about behaviour therapies.. together - CBT.. if you dont know about these things already at least the knowledge can give you insight.

then there is the physical stuff.. diet, excersice, yoga, tai chi, meditation...

all this stuff is readily accessible and can at the very least arm you with the knowledge to recognise things that you are doing/not doing that can ease feeling depressed.. strengthen the mind, the body and let this work filter into your soul.. bit by bit..

then do some of the "crazy stuff" crow mentions, like hugging a tree.. pure madness!! i too have hugged a tree and had a similar exprerience to crow, it elicits a range of thoughts and emotions.. being weird, wondering if 'people are looking' and that strange feeling of exhilaration from the pure and simple action of giving love to something living.. yep even a tree..

crow talks about spiritual notions of 'allowing' yourself to 'be'.. which i always thought was a cool idea when i read about it even if a little abstract in terms of how to apply it.. but then he mentions doing something silly and childish/like.. action follows.. all good advice..

i like to put music on and have a little dance in my living room.. something with a good pulse, hypnotic, like the tribes of the world.. move your body to rhythm.. forget the conscious mind.. let the waves of emotion move through you.. they come.. they are felt.. they leave.. dont hold on to them.. dont focus on them..

dance.. sweat.. move

depression is locking into and holding onto the negativity.. emotional and mental.. there is an essence beyond these forces.. distract.. redirect.. circumvent.. transmute.. let go.

there is nothing wrong with you.. you are perfect.. 'i am depressed' is self processed, defined, pidgeon-holed label/belief.. its all on a spectrum.. some people are so depressed they cant move, eat, honeysuckle, think, they are catatonic, the living dead.. some people are down/blue/sad/feeling shitty.. its all semantics and states of being.. and its ALL impermanent.. an illusion..

take a bath in a dark room with a single candle and just watch the flame dance.. be in the moment.. here and now.. eternal.

read about eastern philosophies.. i particularly like the wisdom regarding the relationship between desire and suffering..

make some pancakes with jam and cream.. kickarse..

dont be hard on yourself.

Well, this depends on whether you're just blue or down in the dumps or if you're seriously, clinically depressed. If the answer is the latter, then really, you have to get to a doctor.

If it's "just" the first- which still sucks even though it's not as severe- the usual suggestions really do work: get your sleep cycle straightened out; get some sort of regular exercise even if it's going for a daily walk (the vitamin D in sunshine is a good thing); make sure that you're eating well with all the right vitamins etc; do something you love.

Also, connecting with people, even if it is just us online folks, is a big step up from bottling up all the negativity. :)

For me specifically, sometimes I need to read a particular book or watch a favorite movie to help give me a boost.

cheaptrickfan said:
Well, this depends on whether you're just blue or down in the dumps or if you're seriously, clinically depressed. If the answer is the latter, then really, you have to get to a doctor.

If it's "just" the first- which still sucks even though it's not as severe- the usual suggestions really do work: get your sleep cycle straightened out; get some sort of regular exercise even if it's going for a daily walk (the vitamin D in sunshine is a good thing); make sure that you're eating well with all the right vitamins etc; do something you love.

Also, connecting with people, even if it is just us online folks, is a big step up from bottling up all the negativity. :)

For me specifically, sometimes I need to read a particular book or watch a favorite movie to help give me a boost. i dont have the money for a doctor.
great response. i have every symptom of being depressed. per watching something on tv. i dont have the money for a doctor, or transportation for that matter.

Lebowski said:
cheaptrickfan said:

For me specifically, sometimes I need to read a particular book or watch a favorite movie to help give me a boost.

i dont have the money for a doctor.
great response. i have every symptom of being depressed. per watching something on tv. i dont have the money for a doctor, or transportation for that matter.

If that's the case, I'd really suggest regular exercise. Some studies suggest that it helps boost your serotonin levels in addition to the more positive psychological effects. Yeah it's awkward for me the first time I drag my ass to the gym or squeeze myself into spandex to do exercise dvds at home, but quickly get to love it.

Loving doing something is a good thing.. :)

cheaptrickfan said:
Lebowski said:
cheaptrickfan said:

If that's the case, I'd really suggest regular exercise. Some studies suggest that it helps boost your serotonin levels in addition to the more positive psychological effects. Yeah it's awkward for me the first time I drag my ass to the gym or squeeze myself into spandex to do exercise dvds at home, but quickly get to love it.

i went running today. still felt pretty depressed all through it though. i always struggle running, i get shorth breathed after a while and the balls of my feet hurt but i still went out. going to the library tomorrow to get a new book. the book im reading right now(Rumo) is kind of childish. i'd reccomen it to anyone 17 or younger but i think most would find it weird.

Lebowski said:
cheaptrickfan said:
Lebowski said:
cheaptrickfan said:

i went running today. still felt pretty depressed all through it though. i always struggle running, i get shorth breathed after a while and the balls of my feet hurt but i still went out. going to the library tomorrow to get a new book. the book im reading right now(Rumo) is kind of childish. i'd reccomen it to anyone 17 or younger but i think most would find it weird.

Oh, is that by Walter Moers? I read his book the City of Dreaming Books and thought it was AWESOME!

Re: the running - maybe it'll get easier as you go along with it. I know I never liked running. Cycling, otoh I like a lot. :)

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
then do some of the "crazy stuff" crow mentions, like hugging a tree.. pure madness!! i too have hugged a tree and had a similar exprerience to crow, it elicits a range of thoughts and emotions.. being weird, wondering if 'people are looking' and that strange feeling of exhilaration from the pure and simple action of giving love to something living.. yep even a tree..

I may have to go hug a tree soon...

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
crow talks about spiritual notions of 'allowing' yourself to 'be'..

That's very Buddhist. I like it.

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
i like to put music on and have a little dance in my living room..

I blast the music and dance in the kitchen with my daughters. It's hard to be sad after that. :)

yeah i might renew the book anyway since i have a lo of time on my hands. i dont know if his other book is the same but Moers style is very descriptive almost to the point where i lose track. rumo is a good read anyway.

i plan to run everyday, maybe i'll mix in a nice bike ride. right now its very hot and i sweat a lot but i dont mind the heat that much...just embaressing to sweat so much.

yeap..I made myself go bike riding everyday. After I signed up on ALL last year.
I just have to keep at it. I also excersize everyday.

I don't know about you...I think women looks smexy when they're sweating:p

I used to ride my bike everywhere I went. For the excersize and self-confidence buidling.
It's the same concept as hugging a tree.

I live in CA and there's a sort of judgemental mentally if you ride a bike everywhere.
It's cool..becuase it's a converstation piece sometimes..

Some poeple will compliment me on how nice or cool my bike looks or say
what a beautiful day it is to go bike riding.

Other poeple will give me a sort of dirty look as if I'm stupid poor...lmao
And those where the people that ask me for a ride if I drive my truck to a meeting.lol

Yeap,...getting over the embrassing factor.

I was learning to be happy with myself and allowing myself to be happy
just riding my bike. Yeap..being in the moment.

Sometimes strangers will wave and smile at me or say
hello in passing. I was practice not to worry so much what other people think
about me and also inneracting with people again.

I read somewhere...I grain of happiness everyday equal a mountain of happiness in a life time.

There's also other living tools...such as
Starting my day over again anytime I want.

Sometimes my day starts out bad or starts going bad at 9 to 10 Am..lol
I just allow myself to start my day over again...Fresh ( errr... I can ???? lmao)
A lady passed that living tool on to me. I had to ponder about it for a little while.
That simple idea seem too simple, it was too complicated for me :p

I think working on a skill or finding a hobby really help. Though I was never formally diagnosed, I suspect I was suffering from depression some time ago, or at least dysthemia. At that time I started a hobby to keep my mind off my poor feelings, and that kept me occupied and still does today. I've even managed to make some money off of it which has helped my self-esteem. Also I find focusing on my education helps, though I know it can be tough to feel motivated for anything when depressed. You just have to push through.

I still feel depressed these days but it can be directly attributed to my loneliness.

Haven said:
It seems hard to stop. For me it feels impossible sometimes.

have you ever tried medication?

i know it's easy to blame it on depression but when i was 16 i could make friends with anyone at anytime. then when i was 17 the GAD started and from there interests have dwelled down to 0. i'm ready to get my life back.

I've dealt with depression for a long time. Once, I got really into swimming every day. I don't just mean the casual floating in the water with occasional swimming the length of the pool a couple times. I did a swimming workout. I'd swim across the pool using only my arms and as fast as I could, then I'd swim across using only my legs. I'd doggy paddle, backstroke, all sorts of different variations. You have to swim vigorously, but it only takes 30-45 minutes with time enough to catch your breath.

I found that my depression decreased dramatically.

Jesse said:
I've dealt with depression for a long time. Once, I got really into swimming every day. I don't just mean the casual floating in the water with occasional swimming the length of the pool a couple times. I did a swimming workout. I'd swim across the pool using only my arms and as fast as I could, then I'd swim across using only my legs. I'd doggy paddle, backstroke, all sorts of different variations. You have to swim vigorously, but it only takes 30-45 minutes with time enough to catch your breath.

I found that my depression decreased dramatically.

I am a bit the same. When I was feeling down on life I would go for a run for 30-45 which was really intense. I found it just took my mind off all the bad things that I was feeling. Plus not to mention it was making me feel more confident about myself and my appearance, which for me is pretty big, infact its huge.

Another thing that also helps me is following sports teams, for me i'm not sure why but it helps me take my mind again off the worse stuff in life and gives me something to look forward to (but it can also cause further depression if the teams i support keep losing he he he). With in the last year i've started following baseball (really its just the MLB) and i love it...hahaha although it is a little hard considering the following in Australia is virtually 0.

But to take your mind off being depressed take up something that you know virtually nothing about or have never done. You never know

Bobby Z said:
With in the last year i've started following baseball (really its just the MLB) and i love it...hahaha although it is a little hard considering the following in Australia is virtually 0.

I apologize for going off-topic here, but I have to know: Do you have a favorite MLB team?

Ok, I'll tell, but you have to promise not to laugh. I mean it...lol
Well the team I support is the New York Mets. Really don't know why i decided to support them, i really cant explain.
I'm sure I could have picked a better team to follow ahahah

Latest posts

Back