I'm in love with my best friend

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8journey8

Reaction score
We've been best friends for 4 years, and now he's in Korea doing classified work for the Air Force. People always used to assume we were together, even though we told them all we were just friends. I loved him as a friend, and when he left a month ago I realized I'm IN love with him. I'm pretty sure he feels the same way too but neither of us will say anything. He will be gone for 11 more months and I have no idea how to cope. I've been in long distance relationships before but I've never allowed myself to have feelings this strong for anyone.

Man 11 months is really tough. A lot can happen in that amount of time in a long-distance relationship. You have to follow your heart. As an outside observer, my advice would be to wait until he came back to start a relationship but in the meantime maintain contact as best friends. You have to do what you feel is right in your heart though. The best of luck to you both :)

If you are able to contact him during his 11 months of being away, I would contact him and inform him of your feelings immediately. What if after the 11 months pass, and he comes back, but then you find out that it is too late. Then how do you think you will feel?? Pretty horrible Im sure.

If your situation were more of an infactuation and you knew the guy for very little time, I would probably tell you to back off and cool down. Since this long lasting emotional bond has formed between you two, I would say go for it. Don't sit by and wonder what could of been, act upon it.

The thing is that we're both worried about compromising our friendship. I want to know him for the rest of my life, and if it has to be as a friend I'm ok with that. But honestly I can see myself marrying him. It's just that if we do this and it doesn't work out, then what will happen? Also I feel like telling him now is really bad timing. I can handle being alone until he comes bac but I don't want to put that kind of pressure on him.

I decided that life is too uncertain to not tell him. He could die over there. So I took a deep breath and told him. He feels the same way. Thank you guys for helping me get the courage, the only thing that would make me happier right now is if he were actually here.

Congratulations! =]

I was once in pretty much the same situation with my male best friend but I never said a word to him, and now we're not even close friends anymore. But ah well, things happen for a reason. :)

I'm really glad that worked out for you, and that you told him how you felt. :)

The best foundation for a great relationship is a great friendship :) You two already know each other well enough to know each other's strengths and weaknesses, so you both know what to expect from each other. I say go for it and best wishes!

Latest posts

Back