Are Pets Your Saving Grace?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unique Unicorn

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just curious, do you consider you pets to be your 'saving grace' isn't it cool to have them to come home to? And the best bit is they love you so unconditionally warts and all!

I have 3 dogs, 27 fish and a pet magpie (an aussie bird), you?

I had a wonderful yellow lab named Ginger. Raised her from a puppy she died about a year and a half ago, she brought joy to my heart everytime I saw here. I'd have definetly gotten another one, but I've become to ill to properly take care of a pet.

I've never thought about getting a bird, how would describe having a magpie Unicorn? And I'm sad to hear that you lost your lab Von Blown, I know pets can be like family -- perhaps you would enjoy and benefit from visits by so-called "therapy dogs" if you still miss Ginger?

This is probably not answering the question directly but I've never had a pet although I'm seriously thinking of getting one. While I think I'd ideally like a dog because they tend to be so friendly and social, I doubt I'd be able to take care of one properly due to having to walk them at least twice a day -- lack the time right now. What type of work does having a cat entail and are there certain breeds more social and interactive than others?

I had a bird once, a small breed of parrot called a Black-Headed Caique. She had some mood problems sometimes but she was more or less a sweet bird.

I had to give her away last year. Like most any parrot, her breed is playful and energetic and requires a lot of attention and company...and with me gone for two days at a time for work, plus school and other stuff, she wouldn't have been happy, and my parents couldn't really take care of her properly anymore.

Luckily she went to a really good home. I took her to a pet shop just outside of town, who's owners are pretty good 'bird people'. They actually liked her so much they decided to keep her for themselves. So she's got good people to be around plus a lot of other birds, so she's a lot better off. I was still sad for a little bit, though. When I was younger she always liked to nestle down in to my shirt for a nice warm nap when I was at my computer.

The thing to remember about parrots is that they're real picky about who they like. A dog or cat will usually take to almost anybody, but a parrot won't. Mine hated both of my little sisters, and never liked my highschool friends. And my dad had an African Grey for a few years that never liked anybody but him; the shop he bought him from was shocked and surprised when he was able to pet that bird. Not even the shop workers were able to handle him. You definitely have to make sure they like you before taking them home....they're really not a 'novelty pet'.

Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a cat around. My sister has several and they're really good company it seems like...plus since you can house train them so easily and leave enough food out for a couple of days, it wouldn't be as bad with my work schedule. I dunno how they do with being alone, though.

I find sitting down with and/or petting a dog or cat to be pretty relaxing, therapeutic even. Even though they aren't humans, they clearly show affection. Sometimes you feel as though they are almost human, and you forget that they can't speak to you in human language. It's definitely a deep emotional bond that one can have with them.

I personally keep some fish and other, more exotic type pets. They are relaxing in I'm sure the same way some people find gardening and bonsai trees to clear one's mind.

Latest posts

Back