Physical appearance - how important is it, in your opinion?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManicPie

Reaction score
Ever since I was little, I have been about the polar opposite of girly. When other girls were playing with barbies, I was burning their hair off, rearranging their limbs, and more. I didn't really like playing dress-up, unless we were pretending a game, like Pirates or Undersea Explorers. And I never asked my mom to "dress me up pretty" with makeup. I was the epitome of a tomboy. Hell, I wore my brother's old clothes up until 6th grade.
Now, my tomboyishness has largely evolved into girl-geekiness. (if you feel the need to categorize me, I suppose.) I don't wear my bro's old clothes anymore, and I have my own sense of style - but I just can't bring myself to really make myself "pretty". I don't wear makeup. Whenever I tried to put makeup on, I ended up either massacring my face with mascara, or bloating my cheeks with blush. And I didn't feel like "me" with it on. So I don't wear it. But, at the same time, I really don't feel like anyone is attracted to me. At all. I can't remember ANYONE ever liking me (at least not for sure) and because of that, I've never had a boyfriend. Being physically attractive isn't a top priority. Do you think there is something wrong with that? Because sometimes (as clichéd as it is) I feel really ugly to everyone. Like the girl that a guy could maybe be friends with, but could NEVER EVER even consider liking or dating. Do you think a girl has to wear makeup? (When you were in high school, did you think a girl who didn't wear makeup was ugly/socially stunted?) I don't even know.
Clothes have also always been rather disinteresting to me too. I can withstand about an hour or two of shopping, and then I want to get the hell out of there. I DESPISE malls. And I can't ever imagine myself going to prom, because: a) I couldn't, and probably wouldn't want to, get that dressed up; b)nobody would ever want to take me; c)I burn people's eyes when I dance.

Basically, what I'm asking is: When you meet a girl, how important is appearance? If she's not wearing makeup, how does that affect your first impression of her? I just feel so out of place in a roomful of girly-girls, who are playing with each other's hair, putting on makeup, and squealing about how cute some pair of jeans are. :club:

I think that appearances matter, but in terms of being able to express yourself. The flip side of this is that you have to express yourself in a way other people can relate to (otherwise I'd walk around all day wearing a toga). So I think a touch of eye make-up is pretty standard - the sort that men won't really even notice. However, if you really don't feel comfortable in make-up, there's no reason why you should. A girl in my year at school had allergies and was unable to wear make-up, and I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't told me. Mainly, though, remember that your "image" is exactly that - a snapshot of your personality. Are you nice but geeky? Shy but subversive? Pick a style that reflects who you are, and if you do it right it will make total sense to people why you aren't wearing make-up, and still be well-dressed.

I wouldn't worry about how you look. I mean it's like going to a buffet for dinner, sure there are popular foods but there are other foods that people will also eat.

ManicPie said:
When other girls were playing with barbies, I was burning their hair off, rearranging their limbs, and more.

oooooh, that's quite badass. Marry me :D

I dun think looks mean anytghing :/ as long as you're happy with how you look, everyone else's opinions shouldn't matter. There's always gonna be one ******* bitchin about how one of your toes being bigger than the others, but generally people don't truly care that much.

I tend to see how the girl's personality is as well. They don't have to have celebrity/popular girl looks in order for me to be interested in them. They just have to at least look normal and presentable.

It's annoying when girls wear makeup and other such things to the point where they look "plasticky." On the other extreme, it doesn't really catch my attention (and can be kind of off-putting) when a girl looks like she makes no effort to at least look all right. Neither extreme is attractive. The same person can look both attractive and unattractive, based on their personality and again, how they present themselves.

A little bit of makeup looks good, but isn't necessary and girly girl personalities can be annoying.

First and most important- The guy who is worth your time will think you are the most beautiful when you look and feel like YOU (as long as you are not unkempt or unhygienic). Don't take this as just some crap people say to boost your ego or whatever. It's a plain and simple truth.

That said... I'm an esthetician. I went to school because I wanted to know how to make skin look beautiful without make up, but I'm also licensed to work as a makeup artist. Unless you're in theater, the stuff is there to enhance what you've got, not recreate you! So I shall give you a few tips I use, myself.

*Skin: I use one of those foundations that blends in with your skin tone (Like Almay Smart Shade). Mix it with an oil-free sun-blocking moisturizer, because it's easy to use too much foundation. It's only there to even your complexion out. I actually only use blush on days that I'm extra pale, like if I'm feeling a little tired of sick. Use it sparingly, and you won't get that clown look.

*Eyes: Don't use mascara. It clumps, it sticks, it leaves little marks on your skin, just... don't. Use a little eyeliner if you want to enhance your eyes. Or just an eyeshadow. Apply it with a damp brush, and it will stick better.

*Lips: Apply sun-block. If you want lipstick, go for it. Make sure it's a color you're comfortable wearing. I'm a red lip girl, but it's certainly not for everybody!:D

Those are good tips Nerdygirl I don't know how many times I've seen girls with clumped mascara on their eyes and sometimes they use too much eyeliner where it's too thick, looks tragic to be honest.

I used to dream about being a make up artist when I was younger but I would never have passed the class as I didn't do my homework, never handed in work at school and my attendance was poor.

I think physical appearance does matter...I mean you have to look well kempt and clean. That's basics.

From there its your choice whether or not to wear make-up. But that's just my OPINION on the subject.

I burn people's eyes when I dance.

XD LOL

make up, being skinny, wearing skirts and dresses, are maybe 10% important. they do matter, but can be over looked with other qualities. relationships are like an exchange. you get to know someone, build trust, then start compromising.

a lot of people strike out with trust, specially when they complicate it with sex. im pretty good with trust, but im fail with compromising. im picky.

i like tomboys and can accept them not wearing dresses, some weight, and even waiting until marriage. im striking out with children. but thats another issue.

theres a lot to it. certain things raise red flags, other things dont. i dont think your worries are anything that would raise a red flag. a lot of men hate shopping. you dont need make up if youre not ugly. if you do wear a dress, itll be even more special. i played with legos... destroying villages, dismembering their heads. fun, is fun. :D

As a guy, definitely physical appearance is the key to the first stage of attraction, but as you progress further, as in talk to her, and befriend her etc, physical appearance matters much less. But this is only because I don't approach girls just to get in their pants. To me the person is what makes her attractive not a picture of her. This is why people look so much hotter in real life than pictures, even people who are already hot in pictures.

If you are really hot, then no make up, dress crappy and you can still be attractive at first sight.

If you are REALLY ugly, you can still look BETTER, there's always means to look better I hope you realize that, it's just about what you want to sacrifice and how much effort you are willing to put in (including surgery, which I despise).

If you are somewhere in between there's always ways to become more physically attractive to increase the chance of people being attracted to you just by seeing you.

I know some girls who are fat or ugly by apperance but I can see that if they tried to take care of themselves, they have the potential to be pretty good looking. Some people have more potential than others but it's still there.

It does play an important part, when looking for someone.

I go for someone that looks natural. Minimal amount of makeup, none preferably. Simple, doesn't spend alot of time getting ready. Thats what I look for mainly.

As for myself... I have a few t-shirts, pants/jeans, jumpers, 1 pair shoes, 1 boots (fire) and thats about it. Wear pretty much the same stuff. Simplicity :)

My fav t-shirt is white with a pic of Einstein on the front and "Clever *******" underneath.

Latest posts

Back