Do I have depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Luna

During my most recent visit to my family doctor, I couldn't help but be drawn to a poster taped on the back of the door of her office.

On one part of the poster, it spoke of depression and its symptoms.

The symptoms listed, that I can recall were:

-Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness
-Loss of energy
-Frequent crying
-Suicidal thoughts

...and then it hit me: could I have depression?

I used to engage myself in art many years ago...expressing my emotions in my drawings. Now, I do not even have the enthusiasm to do so. While I try to distract myself through volunteering, traveling etc, there is nothing that I look forward to or enjoy.

I feel as if I am simply existing and just going through the motions. There is this void inside me, that pains me every moment...but I force myself to put on a smile, and face the world while hiding a heavy heart.

Within the past two weeks...for the first time, I am having trouble controlling my emotions in public. I have had worse days, but back then, I could separate my emotions from myself. Now, they are all that consume me. I have cried, publicly, 4-5 times within the past 14 days...and I can't stop the tears from falling. When I try to block out my thoughts and emotions, or distract myself...the negativity takes over.

Right now, I am actually at my "high"...prior to this, about a month ago, I cried myself to sleep on a daily basis for three weeks straight. At such a young age...my eyes have slight wrinkles and they feel tired constantly.

It just seems that I keep on trying...keep on trying to think positive, only to be continually let down over and over. I have made changes to my lifestyle...but still...it seems as if I am the same broken soul that I have always been...

from what you described i'd say yes...youre in the beginning stages of clinical depression...i say this only because I know from expierience... trust me , get help ASAP. i dont mean to sound like a downer but its only going to get worse... for me it got to the point where id isolate myself from everything, mix that with the BS of highschool and family issues and it only got worse...you've got to break the cycle...thats all depression is a vicious cycle..

Best wishes Luna

It certainly sounds like you're suffering from depression. What kind, is the question...

Do you feel this way as a result of some factor in your life such as loneliness?

Or are you randomly overcome by emotions for seemingly no reason?

I'd say that the solution is different depending on the type of depression.

Then again, I'm no expert. I've felt depressed plenty of times, but nothing truly severe.

It sounds as though you are at the point where you would benefit from being put on some anti depressants. At this point where you cant control your tears and your tears dont give you any relief, only being put on an anti-depressant can help bring you out of that part of the pit of depression.

Once youre out of the pit you can try making other changes, such as lifestyle changes.

You need to go for help. Please dont delay. You DESERVE to enjoy life.

I would say it's highly likely that you have depression. For me it look 1 year to realize that what I was experiencing was depression. I focused only on the physical symptoms and spent so much time trying to explain them and wasn't open to the idea that I had a psychological problem.

My advice is that if you notice a lot of change in the way you are feeling and the way your body is responding, don't just think it can be explained physically and look for other explanations too. But it seems like you are pretty open to this.

And if you indeed have depression, it's curable and the earlier you realize it the faster the healing process. I learned that I suffered from depression but am now in the process of getting out of it. My energy level has increased a lot, almost to a level of before my explosion of anxiety and depression, and my brain seems to function almost at the level before as well. There is definitely hope for whatever that you are going through.

Also be open to anti depressants but realize that they are not required for most people who suffer from depression, seek the knowledge of a psychiatrist to know. I personally was given a very widely accepted anti depressant but it had severe side effects that actually gave me huge headaches and a feeling of massive anxiety. Professionals will tell you that taking antidepressants is like taking advil for pain but it will not cure your infections, that is why many psychiatrists refuse to give patients drugs if they can identify that their issue is one that is psychological and that means exist to resolve it.

I'd talk to your doctor about it.
As stated there's different types of treament for depression.

I was put on prozac for a while. it didn't cure my depression.
It just numb me the fresia out and i became a zombie.
i wasn't depressed anymore but i didn't feel a **** thing either.
Then i had withgdraws from the prozac, which was retarded.
Which i felt like i went into a total anxeity attack for a couple of weeks.

There's nothing wrong with feeling your emotions.
Don't be afraid to feel them or process them.
If you stuff your feelings...you'll get more depressed..it's a cycle or catch 22.
Numbing the fresia out won't resolve anything...
To resovle your feelings, you have to process them. it dosn't matter how long you hold it in.
Time alone will not heal your wounds if you don't face your problems or issues.

example...I personally didn't cry for 3 years after my children died.
i went on a run or escape...I couldn't run away from it anymore...
I broke down after 3 years of running.

I've been in recovery for a long time.There were many issues i had to face.
Abandonment issues. Physical, emotional and mental abuse issues...etc.
I've learned a lot of coping skills or recognize warning signs
or when I simply just get depress or anxeity no matter what.
The attacks has gotten fewer and further apart.

The pass couple of years of my life I've had many anxiety attacks...simply becuase
I was grieving over someone. I used to cry in public all the time.
I wore shades for a while becuase there were constant tears in my eyes.
I didn't beat myself up. I just accept it and let the grieving process take place.
Having this acceptance oe forsite...it prevented me from going into a deeper
depression...Sometimes i would just sit for hours and cry.
That's all i was able to do. Then it passes. Then I cry again when i need to

Sometime I'll just sit in my garden a look at the flowers.
Just something positive and beautiful I can try to wrap my head around.
It gave me something anything to remind me life is still beautiful and still
worth living so i don't going into sueicide thoughts.

Even if i do have suicide thoughts...i still don't beat up myself.
I know it's all in my head. I'm not my thughts or emotions.
I have thought and emotions...
Knowing this helps....eventhough it dosn't examp me from have thoughts
or emotions.

I also came across a letting go of your thoughts and emotions program.
It's call the sedona methdoe
It helped me alot. It just takes practice. It's simple anyone can do it.
It simple becuase when i get depressed...my head tends to complicate
the honeysuckle out of everything...I needed a simple salutions.

i also listen to music...for some reason soft piano music clams me down.
Some music are written to resolve....
For some reason when my brain hear music (becuase i anylize the honeysuckle out of music too.lmao)
resolves..it brings me a sense of peace.

I also try to practice luaghing or enjoy positive things is life...
Simple things or anything that brings me joy.
Physical exercise helps reduce depression.
A healthy diet also helps.
My brains releases natraul endorphines or chemicles.
this is where thinking positive while also help becuase I'm building receptors in my brain to recieve
natual positive endorhines....

that's why when you do drugs..the drugs produces chemicles in your brain that's not natural
The recpetors in your brain changes over time to conform to the molecues of the drugs....
Thats why people have crazy withdraws to drugs if they don't have them or try to stop using.

Do try to reach out for help. Don't isolate yourself or keep it all to yourself.
Talk to people...reach out

Latest posts

Back