Drugs Used To Treat Depression Etc...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel

Reaction score
One of the guys at work gave me this leaflet on depression, and inside it says you can get help, and one of the ways to help it is take medication...

This outrages me! Ok you got a problem, take these for the rest of your life. Maybe not for the rest of your life, till you get better? Do you go downhill after you stop, even though you were good when you stopped?

I believe it is possible to cure without drugs.

What is your opinion / experiences?

Hi samuel,

Well,Once you've been diagnosed with depression, your doctor may prescribe a specific drug regimen. Every person is different, so your treatment will be tailored to your needs. Below you'll find a list of antidepressants that may be prescribed to treat depression.

Thanks

Drugs don't work on their own. I've been on prozac and recently switched to citalopram. Adding therapy to the mix sort of helps but best thing to do is see a proper doctor. They'll come up with a plan. If you're not happy with that plan look for another doctor. I've gone through three before finding one that actually helps

Well, the truth is that emotions and feelings are our biological interpretation of chemical reactions and production within our brains and associated glands. Anti-depressants are intended to alter those chemical interactions (usually an MAOI, Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor), thus bringing your mood up a bit and allowing you to see things more positively.

I believe what a lot of psychiatrists will do (understand the difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist: A psychologist cannot prescribe drugs) is provide a drug regimen to assist psychological treatment. The goal is not permanence, though certainly some people do continue to take them if nothing improves otherwise.

samuel said:
One of the guys at work gave me this leaflet on depression, and inside it says you can get help, and one of the ways to help it is take medication...

This outrages me! Ok you got a problem, take these for the rest of your life. Maybe not for the rest of your life, till you get better? Do you go downhill after you stop, even though you were good when you stopped?

I believe it is possible to cure without drugs.

What is your opinion / experiences?

I have had depression issues for years. Being prescribed all sorts of different medications to try and help. Wellbutrin, concerta, lexapro, prozac, effexor, zoloft, etc. and now I dont take any medication at all. All these drugs that they made are synthetically created in labs and are harsh on our bodies. Who is to say that they are actually doing anything. It could all just be some sort of placebo effect. Just thinking and anticipating that it will do anything is what triggers chemicals in your brain to be released. People jusdt take the doctors word for it and take whatever drug their doctor says they should take. Who is to say these doctors arent persuaded by certain drug reps to push certain specific drugs on patients...

Either way, I have completely abandoned the idea of seeing therapists or taking certain drugs that I was told by strangers that I hardly even know. If I am going to beat depression, it is I who will be the one that does it. Not some stranger, not some synthetically created drug.. Just me.

Living a more healthier lifestyle and eating "natural' foods like fruits and vegetables can help your mood. Being more active and being outside out in the sun helps boost up seretonin levels. There are even certain plants like St. John Wort that has anti depressant qualities which i would prefer taking then any other drug that is out in the market. Meditation while listening to binaural beats is also something that helps reduce the stresses in 1's life. Binaural beats help out the meditation process making it easier to focus. Allowing yourself to get more out of meditation.

All in all, Im just saying is that people are looking for quick fixes and instant gratification. Thinking that some "professional" knows how to fix you and make you all better. You people arent broken. You people arent defective. You all are jusdt products of your own society. Once you seperate yourself from the ideas that society tells you to believe, you will find much more about yourself then you could possibly ever imagine. Im not saying that im so high and mighty and i have reached spiritual enlightenment, because I have shitty days and depressing days as well (especially with winter just around the corner).. These are just ideas and concepts that I strive for everyday. Constantly reminding myself what is most important. I hope this helps

Latest posts

Back